• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Aiming Device

Hey all,

I am currently looking for a laser/light combo for my personal Glock. At

work we've got M6s, but I'm very disappointed in their performance. I'm

currently leaning toward a Blast 2 by Laser Aiming Devices, Inc., but I'd like

some opinions as well.
    Last edited by FederalSecurity; 04-08-2007, 08:50 AM. Reason: Error Corrections
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
    - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
    — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Here is my suggestion, but it's a little different than what you may be thinking of.

I tested out the laser/light combo from Streamlight, the TLR-2.

Streamlight TLR-2

The TLR-2 felt too cumbersome to me, and after giving it some thought I decided on another option.

Combine the Streamlight TLR-1 (light only) and the LaserMax Internal Laser Sight.

Streamlight TLR-1
    LaserMax Internal Laser Sight

The cost is slightly more ($150-200), but it is less cumbersome in my opinion.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Hey Davis,

You know, I've never thought of that option before, but it seems to make

good sense! Now I've got another option to consider. Thanks.
      - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
      — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

i personnaly dont see the need for a laser. In my experiences if you start to rely on the laser too much u forget your fundamentals and aiming. As far as teh light on the gun i personally feel that it is no needed unless you are swat or k-9. You already have a flashlight on the belt. You know (or should ) how to use the weapon with a light in the weak hand that works ffine and it is less weight on the gun. as well as the belt . That is just my thoughts though. I recomend a suire fire light if you take my advise.
        Robert
        Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by Arff312
          i personnaly dont see the need for a laser. In my experiences if you start to rely on the laser too much u forget your fundamentals and aiming. As far as teh light on the gun i personally feel that it is no needed unless you are swat or k-9. You already have a flashlight on the belt. You know (or should ) how to use the weapon with a light in the weak hand that works ffine and it is less weight on the gun. as well as the belt . That is just my thoughts though. I recomend a suire fire light if you take my advise.
          Why reason do you see for having the weapon mounted light, and why do you believe only SWAT and K9 officers need them?
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

In my experience K-9 because he may not have the second hand available as with Swat. In the general patrol capicity i cant see the useful ness of it. As it adds more weight to the belt because you need to stil have a free flashlight. If you use a tactical flashlight you kill two birds with one stone. The added weight to the gun isnt good either. As well as reliance . I dont know about other people but i have always trained in clearling a room with my gun and flashlight in my weak hand under the gun. If you say well i can have another weapon in my other hand , That is a bad move on its own. Shouldnt have two weapon systems drawen. Well this si just my opinion and training so please dont beat me down for this.
            Robert
            Here endith the lesson

Comment

Everyone has there own thoughts on it. I personally have no problem with weapon mounted lights. Depends on the type of duty I'm facing that day. But remember a flashlight on a gun does not make a gun a flashlight.

Never been a big fan of laser sights personally. Always thought they looked kinda silly, you know the part in the movie where the guy is standing there and has 20 laser dots on him, but still gets away?

Comment

Keep something in mind. The weapon mounted light is not for general use. A gun is not a flashlight. The light serves two functions. The first is to positively identify anything that the barrel traverses before engaging. The second is best summed up as "light on target, rounds on target."

You can identify a threat with the regular flashlight, as well, but some people prefer to have a light on the weapon so that they can immediate identify a threat while covering it with the weapon.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  Keep something in mind. The weapon mounted light is not for general use. A gun is not a flashlight. The light serves two functions. The first is to positively identify anything that the barrel traverses before engaging. The second is best summed up as "light on target, rounds on target."

You can identify a threat with the regular flashlight, as well, but some people prefer to have a light on the weapon so that they can immediate identify a threat while covering it with the weapon.
                  While i do see the pioint. this is the same for the twohanded method when done properly after lots of training.
                  Robert
                  Here endith the lesson

Comment

Arff312,

Your thoughts are perfectly reasonable. My reason for wanting a

flashlight/laser sighting system on my personal Glock is because we are

trained to utilize such accessories as part of the job in light of such

responsibilities that you mentioned. Because of this, I do feel the need to

keep up on these skills during my off-time. Heaven forbid, if I ever need to

utilize these skills while carrying concealed, I'd like to know that my weapon

is as close to the weapon configuration that I've been trained best with. I

guess it's all a familiarity thing.
                    - Thomas Jefferson

— Vince Lombardi

Comment

Just my $0.02:

I have done a LOT of room clearing in my carrier. I always seem to need my support hand for something, opening a door, letting my partner know I'm ready or where I am, handcuffing the suspect, feeling for that couch I know I saw when I last flashed the room.
                      A weapon mounted light is a great idea who's time has come and most are very light weight. I do recommend that you test them out to find one that you can turn on and off easily with your weapon side hand. You don't want to give your position away!

California Security Blog
                      Domain Registration Services

Comment

This is something I came across not too long ago. The light attaches to the back of your hand. I don't know how good or bad it works, just another idea.

http://www.first-light-usa.com/system.php

Comment

Originally posted by FederalSecurity
                          Hey all,

I am currently looking for a laser/light combo for my personal Glock. At

work we've got M6s, but I'm very disappointed in their performance. I'm

currently leaning toward a Blast 2 by Laser Aiming Devices, Inc., but I'd like

some opinions as well.
                          More and more "patrol" officers that, I know are moving towards the use of laser sights, and a tactical flashlight mountable to the handgun. We sometimes forget that technology has changed tremendously. The old school function of flashlight in one hand, and the gun in other is still used. However, it's slowly fading away. If you're conducting a building search.. and encounter a surprise from a subject, you have to take a second or three to get that one hand free to counter the attack. There is a reason for everything however, it always comes down to personal preference and policy.

The laser sight, I see used by officers for the Glock is the Crimson Trace(www.crimsontrace.com), which is internal, so one wouldn't know it was there till it was activated. The other as mentioned about another member is the Lasermax (www.lasermax-inc.com) sight, which is external and is on the grip.
                          "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Close, but you have them reversed...

Crimson Trace makes external grips for multiple types of weapons. I considered putting one on my old .38, but decided against it.

LaserMax uses the takedown leverl and recoil spring guide to mount a laser sight. It is internal.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X