Morse Watchman - Do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morse Watchman - Do you use it?

Who here uses the Morse Watchman tour recorder, software, checkpoints, etc?

We use it at work as a method to check the electrical and sprinkler rooms and corridors as well as the common areas of the mall.

We have 2 tours set up

1) Watchman Tour - 46 checkpoints throughout the common area of the mall and corridors which is conducted 2 times during 3rd shift.

2) Corridor Sweep - 14 checkpoints placed in each electrical room and sprinkler room. This is conducted once on 1st shift and once on 2nd shift.

The pro's is that it gets Security Officers to check things. The con is that it takes a body off the floor for a while. Im going to ask if I can move some checkpoints to make the Watchman Tour easier.

http://www.powercheckguardtour.com/

The thing that angers me is that we cant find a suitable holster for the damn tour recorder. The GT-7056 (Leather Belt Pouch) is a joke. It does not fit around your duty belt and requires you to break the duty belt apart to slide it on. Not worth the $50 we paid for it and nobody uses it anyhow. The case of the tour recorder is broken or we would have gotten the GT-7057 (Leather Belt Clip).
    Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 03-20-2007, 02:30 PM.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Used them in the past, not a fan of them, but for other reasons I'm sure other will post about.

I noticed that the mall across from my hospital has checkpoints outside on lightposts that the patrol officer hits.

As for a holster I always put the thing in my back pocket lol

Comment

never even heard of it, but if it works good I may just recommend it to my employer. We use the Pipe.
      Todd

Comment

Still, it sounds a helluva lot beter than the 8+ lb. Detex key clock I used to carry around 20 something years ago...
        “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
        "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by tlangsr
          never even heard of it, but if it works good I may just recommend it to my employer. We use the Pipe.
          Its a pain in the rear overall. I wouldnt recommend it, especially if your staffing levels are short. It takes away from other more important duties.

Got a link for that pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509
            Still, it sounds a helluva lot beter than the 8+ lb. Detex key clock I used to carry around 20 something years ago...
            20 years ago? heck they still got them. i had one with my first company. 100+ keys in one building! It was so bad that the officer assigned to the account didn't do it. One of the patrol drivers came over and did it!

Comment

yeah, http://www.guard1plus.com/en/home.htm
              Todd

Comment

I remember that from a different security job. I dont see any pricing. Anyone know how much it costs or have any pricing?

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
                  I remember that from a different security job. I dont see any pricing. Anyone know how much it costs or have any pricing?
                  I will have to look for it again, but I saw it for around 600 on another site?

here it is http://www.upswung.com/Guard%20Tour/...ard_1_pipe.htm
                  Last edited by tlangsr; 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM.
                  Todd

Comment

Originally posted by FI-SG
                    We use Deister Duostar, with barcode stickers. Works most of the time, although it has its mystery moments... Like when you try eight times to read the checkpoint, to no avail, then you thump the collector against your palm and try again, voilá. It works!
                    Usually, if I can't get the checkpoint after a couple tries, I let it be. Our boss doesn't even seem to check the logs, at most, he checks how long pauses we've had. Clients don't seem to care either...
                    The system has other downsides too... It makes the guard do the tour alright, but for example, we had one older guard who just went after the checkpoints and nothing else. Yeah, why bother actually *checking* the area, when you can just take the checkpoint and run for the next one...
                    ours usually has that problem when it rains, but I like it cuz the "buttons" can be hidden alittle better.
                    Todd

Comment

Originally posted by FI-SG
                      The system has other downsides too... It makes the guard do the tour alright, but for example, we had one older guard who just went after the checkpoints and nothing else. Yeah, why bother actually *checking* the area, when you can just take the checkpoint and run for the next one...
                      The thing that I didn't like about the Morse is that you had 1 station at each location that was imperative it was scanned first. If for any of a number of reasons you couldn't get it then the whole tour of the property was not recorded. The people that installed the scan ports were not security people and obviously were just guessing as to good places to hang them.

I remember 1 was on a chain link gate as the first in line to scan. During a rancid lightning storm there was no way I was going within 50 feet of that port. And when it snowed hard we couldn't even get to that port. So what's the point. In one of the buildings they only had 2 ports in a 75K sq ft floor and they were both on the same wall DOH!!.

I can't tell you the name of the company only that you all have heard of them and they set the safety standards for most all of us to work in. Frigging embarrassing at the least. Although they are not in the security field they think they know more about it then our company does. Kind of like an undertaker performing CPR on a corps. Other than the starting point being so critical the Morse gun is a good thing, light weight and rechargeable. And yea the holster did suck whereas we never used it.
                      Last edited by Chucky; 03-21-2007, 03:46 PM.
                      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

We had a patrol driver that took all the probes off his route home with him, when our dispatch found out they called him out for an alarm. alittle while later they called and asked for his loc. he told them he "was leaving the sub-station"
                        The dispatcher replied "that's funny we got a guy outside your house saying you are jus leaving your house" Needless to say he was canned the next day.
                        Todd

Comment

We had a patrol driver that took all the probes off his route home with him, when our dispatch found out they called him out for an alarm. alittle while later they called and asked for his loc. he told them he "was leaving the sub-station"
                          The dispatcher replied "that's funny we got a guy outside your house saying you are jus leaving your house" Needless to say he was canned the next day.
                          Man that was something I wish I had thought of. I think you should rehire him just on his creativity alone. Although getting caught was not very creative.
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

ours just look like a rounded off bolt and is installed by supervisors or patrol
                            Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
                              The thing that I didn't like about the Morse is that you had 1 station at each location that was imperative it was scanned first. If for any of a number of reasons you couldn't get it then the whole tour of the property was not recorded. The people that installed the scan ports were not security people and obviously were just guessing as to good places to hang them.

I remember 1 was on a chain link gate as the first in line to scan. During a rancid lightning storm there was no way I was going within 50 feet of that port. And when it snowed hard we couldn't even get to that port. So what's the point. In one of the buildings they only had 2 ports in a 75K sq ft floor and they were both on the same wall DOH!!.

I can't tell you the name of the company only that you all have heard of them and they set the safety standards for most all of us to work in. Frigging embarrassing at the least. Although they are not in the security field they think they know more about it then our company does. Kind of like an undertaker performing CPR on a corps. Other than the starting point being so critical the Morse gun is a good thing, light weight and rechargeable. And yea the holster did suck whereas we never used it.
                              I think IPC International (idiots in my opinion..sorry to the folks on this board that work for them) set ours up when they were there before they got the boot. We need to change the checkpoint locations. That said, I like The Pipe better. It seems durable then the cheap plastic recorder Morse puts out. Ours has been dropped many times and to replace the case costs some $300.00 (parts and labor and shipping). I will see what strings I can pull.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X