Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Buy Your Own Equipment.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do You Buy Your Own Equipment.

    My home state has a requirement that if your employer requires a SPECIFIC uniform they have to provide it.

    For instance I worked at a tech company that REQUIRED safety shoes on the shop floor. My employer gave me an allowance of $150.00 a year to buy my shoes from the authorized dealer.

    If a Duty Belt was a REQUIRED part of the uniform they issued it. If I wanted to carry a Buck Kife on my Duty Belt I could but I had to buy a pouch that matched the rest of the Belt. Same if I wanted a different magazine carrier.

    Of course, my uniforms were always provided by the company but I paid for my own Wrangler Cargo Pants because I preferred them over the stupid National Patrol pants.

    When I worked for G4S they issued Tru Spec BDUs and I wore them.

    Specific company hat they bought, plain black Rothco (MUCH better quality) I bought it.

    My first employer issued me one of those stupid little Minimag lites with my uniforms. If I wanted something better it was up to me to buy it (To be fair, Istill have that light and it still works). My last employer went out and bought a bunch of those stupid Bell & Howell "Tac Lights" and issued one to each site and each roving patrol vehicle. I think they lasted 2 weeks.

    I don't remember WHICH company it was but they FORBADE us from carrying D-cell Mag Lights because they could be used as an impact weapon.

    I worked with one Yo-Yo who REFUSED to do patrols after dark unless the company provided him with a light. I would have fired him but they bought him (really the site) a C-cell Maglight.

    My first employer required us to provide our own handguns until people started showing up with HiPoints. Then they issued an approved list in compliance with county requirements.

    Under NO circumstances was I allowed

    Unauthorized handgun
    Unauthorized OC
    Ammunition not issued by the company

    ANY long gun
    ANY SPECIFIC impact weapon. Not even a Yarwa Stick or A Kuboton on my key ring.

    Handcuffs were only authorized at the county court house and ONLY for prisoner transport.
    Last edited by The Night Rider; 01-10-2022, 02:15 PM.

  • #2
    While I am long past the days of being a "gear whore" or "gadget guru", I am a HUGE advocate of maintaining good situational awareness. I do have a Unication G5 "pager" which will monitor the local 800 Mhz public safety radio system. I still like to know what the local police/fire/EMS are doing near campus. I also follow a few social media apps and have access to a few websites, which help me keep in touch. I find that to be a big help at work.

    Comment


    • #3
      All the Police, Fire and EMS channels here are encrypted.

      Comment


      • #4
        The only thing I'm really a Gear Whore about is my footwear and my cold weather wear. I would add rain gear to that but It's been AT LEAST four years since it rained more than five minutes where I'm at.

        Comment


        • #5
          What? The flashlight advertised on late night TV only lasted 2 weeks? But it shows it getting run over by a Humvee! I am so disappointed. (Kidding.)

          I generally use the company equipment unless I have a specific preference, and then I make sure it is approved if it has to be. I will agree with Night Rider about boots, especially safety features. I am very indebted to the site supervisor on my first guard job at the port who told me to buy a pair of steel toe boots ASAP. I kid you not, within the first 6 months a trucker ran over my foot accidentally - only damage was a small dent in my boot. I kept wearing them until they wore out - a daily visual reminder of "Safety First."

          Comment


          • #6
            I have two old Streamlight Stingers. The one I am using right now was incandescent, but I upgraded it to LED.

            The other one is OEM LED, but one of the original Streamlight Stinger LEDs, which wasn't all that bright. I am looking at updating it to an 800 lumen LED.

            Comment


            • #7
              Another equipment challenge I am having right is selecting a new cell phone.

              Here is the challenge, the building where I has lots of brick and mortar and cell phone coverage is terrible.

              So, I am looking for an Android smartphone that will work with BOTH AT&T, Verizon and be able to do native wifi calling and texting.

              Right now I am leaning towards a Google Pixel 6 from AT&T. (I have purchased unlocked smartphones, in the past. While they work with AT&T, wifi calling/testing would not!)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim1348 View Post
                Another equipment challenge I am having right is selecting a new cell phone.

                Here is the challenge, the building where I has lots of brick and mortar and cell phone coverage is terrible.

                So, I am looking for an Android smartphone that will work with BOTH AT&T, Verizon and be able to do native wifi calling and texting.

                Right now I am leaning towards a Google Pixel 6 from AT&T. (I have purchased unlocked smartphones, in the past. While they work with AT&T, wifi calling/testing would not!)
                What does your employer issue?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Night Rider View Post

                  What does your employer issue?
                  An Apple iPhone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't know, take it for what it's worth but with all the carriers pretty much operating off the same Towers if one phone won't work in a given location none of them will

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Pistol/mags/ammo, vest, baton, pepper spray, cuffs, knife, & all corresponding pouches/duty belt - mine, all mine, lol

                      This is definitely how I prefer it as it gives me more control & say-so as a professional; hate idiot companies that micromanage ("can't carry this, can only have that"👎👎👎)
                      Last edited by The Enforcer; 01-27-2022, 07:48 PM. Reason: Necessary Addendums

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Night Rider View Post
                        I don't know, take it for what it's worth but with all the carriers pretty much operating off the same Towers if one phone won't work in a given location none of them will
                        Incorrect.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Soper View Post

                          Incorrect.
                          Whatever you say Bro

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
                            Pistol/mags/ammo, vest, baton, pepper spray, cuffs, knife, & all corresponding pouches/duty belt - mine, all mine, lol

                            This is definitely how I prefer it as it gives me more control & say-so as a professional; hate idiot companies that micromanage ("can't carry this, can only have that"👎👎👎)
                            There's certain things security guards aren't legally able to carry where I'm at. No impact weapons for instance. So my employer telling me that I can't have an ASP only makes sense.

                            I once worked for a company that required all of their armed guards to buy their own equipment. Including the gun some of these guys laid out almost $1,000 for their kit and two months later the client disarmed the contract.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Night Rider View Post

                              There's certain things security guards aren't legally able to carry where I'm at. No impact weapons for instance. So my employer telling me that I can't have an ASP only makes sense.

                              I once worked for a company that required all of their armed guards to buy their own equipment. Including the gun some of these guys laid out almost $1,000 for their kit and two months later the client disarmed the contract.
                              Of course they did

                              People (leftist, "liberal" idiots) think it's intimidating for security to wield a duty/utility belt laden with all kinds of weapons, restraints, & pouches

                              Not to mention, criminals have rights too & shouldn't be stopped; if they are, they have every right to sue & get paid out

                              Ok, back on topic now...carrying weapons adds pride, honor, & dignity to the job & it's not like they're constantly in use - a great majority of the time, just their presence alone is sufficient enough to deter many types of crime

                              One idiotic policy I ran into once is the company issue of a pistol, baton, & bulletproof vest...no handcuffs "we're not police officers"🤦‍♂️
                              Last edited by The Enforcer; 01-31-2022, 11:14 AM.

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X