OC gel review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC gel review

We recently were certified for OC gel spray. We've used it with drug vagrants with mental issues that have attacked or attempted to attack us. We are restricted to gel because of environment and tactical considerations (lots of bystanders in any given area and confined spaces that would need decontamination).

The gel has definite limitations. It is strictly short range (4 feet or under to get an accurate shot off), and if the subject is quick enough, they can dodge it (and they have). Practice with training spray is a must in order to be accurate.

If you carry the gel version of OC spray, what are your impressions / recommendations?

I don't like gel/foam. It has a place, in very limited circumstances, such as in a jail when an inmate is in a shower. But it is too easy for someone who knows it, and who has been through the system, to fling it back at you (seen it happen!).

If you are in cramped conditions, I recommend stream, 10 times out of 10.

Comment

When I was still on the private side at my last job, I had my department carrying the gel. Part of the complex was healthcare (multiple medical clinics) as well as office spaces, a hotel and restaurants. The gel offered less of a contamination issue in close spaces and I decided for my officers to carry that. Now that I’m in LE, our department has us carry the stream. I prefer the gel personally, but they both have their place.

not a fan of the foam, have seen it spider maned back a few times over the years.
      Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I carry a gel projecting platform, with primer-fed expression. Good for animals as well as two-legged attackers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=05QHpwC-g5M
        Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X