• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunch Meat
    started a topic New Glock 43X. Might replace Glock 26 as a back up

New Glock 43X. Might replace Glock 26 as a back up

https://youtu.be/oZNTVqSeEwQ

Currently my duty weapon is a Glock 19 and I carry a glock 26 as a backup weapon. The 26 is small enough for ankle carry, which I can't stand, but it's a little bulky for pocket carry.

I mean if you're wearing uniform pants and you have the right pocket holster you may not know it's a gun but you know there's something in that pocket.

The advantage of course is that the 19 and the 26 will both use a 19 magazine. Yes, I understand the odds are a million to one but if I can have that advantage why not?

I like the 43 but I'm not a fan of that seven round capacity. Now that Glock introduced the 43X with an 11 round capacity in a gun that's much more concealable than a 26 I am seriously taking a second look.

Because the 43X is a thinner model gun it's more concealable and it's a much easier gun to carry in an NPE ( think Training Day at the Office). And I think that more than makes up for the loss of magazine compatibility

So think I'm going to have to put a Glock 43X on my buy list for 2019.

• Lunch Meat
    replied
    Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Look at your scenario, as in the most likely thing to happen. Then look at real data from real incidents. The average shooting incident only involves a few rounds - 4 to 5, IIRC. A back up is just that - it is there in case you can't get to your primary weapon, there's a malfunction, etc.

I understand the desire to have large capacity. When I was in L.A. for training I noticed every cop and guard was carrying a Glock with extra mags - and I totally understood, given the gang problems at the time. But the few times I've done armed the scenario was not a gang shoot out - it would be one or two guys at most. I carried an extra mag, but in my mind I always held the thought that if I hadn't taken care of the threat in six shots, I was going for cover or retreating.

Don't be the guy I knew that carried three firearms (a back up to his back up), including different calibers (which made no sense to me or my supervisor). We figured on paper one night that with all of his guns and his spare mags he was walking around with 90+ rounds of ammunition on him on any given shift. Yes, the site he worked had some danger, but we were also in an urban area - the police were within close enough distance that there would not be an extended fire fight.

So I'm not sure what your point even is (that probably makes 2 of us) but my employer SPECIFIES that I will carry 2 reloads. So that decision is made for me. I go to work every night with 59 rounds 1 Glock 19, 2 reloads (46) and a Glock 26 with the magazine in it (13) rounds.

I specifically stated that my reason for carrying a Glock 26 is because it's compatible with the Glock 19 magazines. I mentioned the Glock 43 because it's more concealable. The only time I made any issue of capacity is when Squid suggested a TWO SHOT DERRINGER as a back up.
    Last edited by Lunch Meat; 01-17-2019, 09:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    Look at your scenario, as in the most likely thing to happen. Then look at real data from real incidents. The average shooting incident only involves a few rounds - 4 to 5, IIRC. A back up is just that - it is there in case you can't get to your primary weapon, there's a malfunction, etc.

I understand the desire to have large capacity. When I was in L.A. for training I noticed every cop and guard was carrying a Glock with extra mags - and I totally understood, given the gang problems at the time. But the few times I've done armed the scenario was not a gang shoot out - it would be one or two guys at most. I carried an extra mag, but in my mind I always held the thought that if I hadn't taken care of the threat in six shots, I was going for cover or retreating.

Don't be the guy I knew that carried three firearms (a back up to his back up), including different calibers (which made no sense to me or my supervisor). We figured on paper one night that with all of his guns and his spare mags he was walking around with 90+ rounds of ammunition on him on any given shift. Yes, the site he worked had some danger, but we were also in an urban area - the police were within close enough distance that there would not be an extended fire fight.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lunch Meat
    replied
    Originally posted by Squid View Post
    do you have/need a permit for Concealed Carry?
    At work I carry on my guard card. My LTC has no bearing. My guard card says "Firearms Authorized" and there's no written policy that dictates the firearm can't be concealed or how many I can carry. I just can't carry off the clock on my GC. My LTC kicks in the second I clock out

I've been thinking about backup exposed. Maybe SW Shield.
    Shield is a little big for only giving 8 rounds. My 26 with an extended magazine gives 13rounds or with a glock 19 spare 15 rounds or even a 17 magazine 17 rounds. (Happy sticks aren't allowed at work)

I'm in CA so I'd have to jump through some hoops to get anything but Gen 3 Glock.
    In California you're limited to 10 no matter what.

IMO backup should be like 38 Derringer.
    The mostly likely scenario I see myself using a back up in is some random tweaker's dog latching onto my right hand and I pull my backup from my LEFT pocket and shoot the dog (It's not even questionable, that would be 100% justified in my jurisdiction. I could shoot the dog if it LOOKED at me funny off leash).

God forbid that ever happen but if it did I wouldn't want to be stuck with an injured hand, an empty gun and a pissed off tweaker. Hence (currently)the 26
    Last edited by Lunch Meat; 01-16-2019, 02:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Squid
    replied
    do you have/need a permit for Concealed Carry?

I've been thinking about backup exposed. Maybe SW Shield.

I'm in CA so I'd have to jump through some hoops to get anything but Gen 3 Glock.

But IMO backup should be like 38 Derringer.

Leave a comment:

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X