No announcement yet.

torches for law enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And of course, sorry, but I can't help to show what the BOREALIS 1050 lumens will do

Black Bear
    BUILDER OF THE BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT
    www.BlackBearFlashlights.com

Comment

Originally posted by black bear View Post
      And of course, sorry, but I can't help to show what the BOREALIS 1050 lumens will do
      You just couldn't help yourself could you? LOL

I should have mentioned that both torches had fresh alkalines at the time of the comparison beam shots... I really didn't do the Dorcy 1W justice as I couldn't find my 2 AA krypton energiser torch (which would initially have the same output as a Mag 2D) for a comparison

Hopefully one day I'll locate a 220 Lumen Malkoff device (LED drop in solution) for a comparison...

EDIT:

I found my old backup torch (for blackouts) and decided using the 2.2v Krypton globe off 2Ds + a dummy D cell would be a fairer comparison...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Maelstrom; 10-08-2007, 06:48 AM. Reason: additions
      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

AIMSHOT, NOVA
        TX 65, FLASHLIGHT

Here is another of the tactical lights running with two 123’s batteries, it is made by Aimshot and is warrantee to be waterproof to a 100 meters.
        It goes by the name of NOVA in some catalogues and by TX 65 in others. It is billed to be 6500 candlepower which I doubt very much it is that high.
        The reflector is smooth on my unit, but is small in relation to others reflector such as the G-2-6P or even the Streamlight TL-2 or Night Fighter II, which make the beam much more flood than in the other lights.

NOVA XENON ILLUMINATOR

I recently tested it against my Streamlight Night Hunter II (another of the tactical two 123’s batteries lights) and with new batteries in both lights the Nova was throwing a weaker beam against my usual deer target at 26 yards.

NOVA BEAMSHOT

STREAMLIGHT NIGHT HUNTER II BEAMSHOT

I have had this light for a couple of years, but I haven’t use it much, the claim in some catalogue that the run time is five hours is greatly exaggerated, I don’t think it will made one hour, although I have been disappointed by the performance of many new 123’s batteries lately, they seem to come with little charge on them, especially the bargain batteries that are made in China for one of the web battery places.
        I recommend that you run your tactical lights or flashlights with good quality batteries such as the Surefire or Duracell brands.

The light is well made, with double O rings in tail cap and head and a rubber cover in main body and tail cap, but with a metal anodized head.
        I don’t have a way to test the claims of been waterproof to 100 meters, but I dunked it in my big water glass for several hours, without getting any water inside.

The light sold for several years for $50 USD but I have seen it recently dropped to around $30 which is more in tone with other quality lights such as the Surefire G-2.

The tail cap is not a clicky, and that is a good thing, it is the usual turn it to “on” or press for momentary.
        I like the light but I think that the Streamlight Night Hunter II or the TL II are better lights overall, I will even prefer a Scorpion or a G-2 in that price range.

Best regards
        Black Bear

Comment

DEAL EXTREME VERSUS P-60 LAMP
          FOR SUREFIRE TWO CELLS

A while ago I bought one of the Deal Extreme new Cree lamps advertised to fit the Surefires for two cells, like in the 6P, G-2, Z-2, C-2 etc.

Yesterday I installed it in a Surefire G-2 (the yellow one). The fit is not exactly perfect, as you can see in the picture, the lamp is a little longer than necessary and the bezel doesn’t close all the way, like in the green G-2.
          I guess I can fix the gap by instating an O ring, a trip to Home Depot to get one in necessary.

Inside the house, at short range the output is considerable; I think that at the short distance inside the house I will prefer it over the P-60 lamp.
          Outside, the P-60 lamp is giving me more range and more picture detail up to maybe 45 yards, at my usual range of 26 yards (where I test all my lights against the deer head) I will say that they both go head to head, as you may see in the pictures in the general illumination department, BUT the definition of the foliage to the right of the tree (at the height of the posted sign) is better with the P-60 incandescent lamp.

Many G-2’s gets to be mounted in carbines like the M-4 or M-16, I have people ask me if I will use the Deal Extreme lamp in them, (As they suppose to resist recoil better), well, no, I still prefer the P-60 lamp for the extended range and even better the P-61 lamp for the increase brightness and coverage with their 120 lumens.

G=2 WITH DEAL EXTREME, RANGE 26 YARDS, CAMERA 12 FEET.

G-2 WITH P-60 LAMP

Any way it is not recoil that break filament lamps, but it is the vibration of many rounds while the filament is very hot, that explain why during the 1920’s and to the 60’s tigers were hunted from machans using regular 2 and 3 D flashlights clamped to the barrel in powerful rifles like the 470 Nitro Express, without any trouble with the bulbs. It seems that one or two shots, will not affect the filament, no matter how much the recoil is.
          After all the filament is very lightweight and the inertia is just not there, because the lack of real weight.

All the best

Black Bear

Comment

DEAL XTREME LAMP, AGAIN

HI GUYS, THIS IS A COLLABORATION FROM
            CHEVROFREAK

The problem with the Deal Extreme modules is that none of them use thermal regulation to reduce the drive current to the LED to control the temperature of the lamp. LED's do not like high heat. It reduces their efficiency, shortens their lives, and can cause the tint of the light output to change.

The Nitrolon body of the G2 acts as an insulator rather than a conductor, so that heat just stays inside of the lamp and cooks the LED. These modules are better suited for use in aluminum bodied flashlights like the 6P. They'll work alright for short bursts in the G2 (I'd say a max of 5 minutes) but extended use is not recommended outside of an emergency.

Surefire recently released a G2L and 6PL that uses their P60L LED module. It has a sensor under the LED to cut the current back when the LED gets hot, in order to prolong life. Well, the G2L has only been out for a few months now and Surefire has already made a change in it. They swapped the Nitrolon bezel out for an aluminum one in order to help dissipate heat.

Since they did this with a light that uses a thermally regulated module, it makes you wonder just how incredibly hot the non-thermally regulated modules actually get. Actually, I don't have to wonder since I tested a Deal Extreme 4068 module in a G2 and after just a few minutes it was too hot to hold in my hand, and the tint of the beam had shifted blue. It was perfectly fine in an aluminum bodied flashlight, though.

Comment

TACM III TACTICAL LIGHT
              WITH REMOTE SWITCH

Hi guys,
              This light has been in the market for several years; it is a great little light and produces 105.5 lumens. I have five of them installed in various long guns that I use for home defense or plinking at night.

The pressure pad switch is very responsive and the length of the cable have served me well for all of my applications, I have them in a Mossberg 500, a Ruger Ranch in .30 Russian a Mini 14, a Maddi 7.62 by 39 and a .Mag Tech .22 caliber.

I like them for the long guns because they have an excellent range, due to the bigger reflector/lamp assembly than usual (bigger than the Surefire P-60 or 61) and the fact that it is smooth (in my old models) so the throw is much better than is possible in the Surefires using the P series lamps.

Why this little company is not better known, it is a mystery to me, the lights are smaller, lighter (made out of stealth plastic material) and more powerful than normal for this size and weight.
              They have resisted well many rounds of even shotgun slug, and in the almost fifteen years that I have them, I have yet to burn a lamp.

TACM III ATTACHED TO THE MADDI BY A WEAVER RING

THIS IS THE TACM III DISSASEMBLED

For pistol work I will still prefer a Surefire with the bigger flood to clear rooms, I am inclined toward the Surefire Centurion III with the P-61 lamp.
              But for when the gun is a rifle or shotgun the little TACM III have more range due to a more concentrated beam.

Here is my usual beam shot from 26 yards, with the camera at 12 feet from the deer, you can compare it with the others lights in my thread.

Cheers
              Black Bear

Comment

THE BEAR CUB
                SMALL LIGHT BIG PERFORMANCE

Not long ago to get magnum illumination out of a flashlight, I had to drop down the tube, six of the big D batteries on a Maglite 6 D size.
                That the light weights three pounds one ounce and measures 19 ½ inches was just incidental to the use if I wanted to get a really good, powerful beam.

Later Surefire come up with small lights that could take two and three or four small but powerful 123’s camera batteries, some of those lights, come up and surpass the 181 lumens of the big Maglite 6 D.
                I am thinking now of the specialty tactical light than Surefire have as the M-4 that uses four of the 123 batteries for 225 lumens for one hour run time.
                Incidentally the M-4 is not precisely inexpensive, costing $330 USD from Surefire or their dealers.

The only problem is that the little 3 volts batteries are quite expensive, and using four of them for one hour run time can cost you $8.00 for that hour.
                And that is if you buy them at discount over the Internet, when purchased in the camera stores (such as Wal Mart) the little 3 volts batteries cost as much as $4 each.

So a light of the size of the Surefire M-4 (9 inches long) was highly desired if it could be made to run on rechargeable batteries, to avoid the big battery expense of the M-4.

Enter the Bear Cub, a nine inches light, with a 13 oz. weight that is rechargeable and uses Lithium Ion batteries.
                This little light makes 220 lumens for 90 minutes of run time, and then recharges its two batteries with a fast charger that is included, in three and a half hours.
                The Lithium Ion batteries can be recharged up to 1,000 times and when they eventually get depleted can be replaced with $30.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE BLACK BEAR CUB LIGHT, NEXT TO THE SUREFIRE M-4.

AND HERE NEXT TO THE MAGLITE 6 D

And here a couple of beam shots at 26 yards for comparison.

MAGLITE 6 D

BEAR CUB

Yes the little rechargeable Bear Cub is characterized for an intense white light, and a run time of 90 minutes, all in a small size that can fit in any glove compartment or trench coat pocket.
                Best Wishes

Black Bear

Comment

Nice light

You can never have too much light to light up the night!

Comment

Bear ......... thanks again for your reports on lighting - they are amazing. I am not someone who walks around with wood over a torch but I do know quality and in a situation when you need light ............. quality always counts. You have answered dozens of questions I have had over the years about brands and performance we get in Australia. Being just a maglite and surefire man myself ......... I am looking now at other areas besides the cost of running these things as well.

Spending $20 a week on batteries is not feasible unless you are Bill Gates and no company is going to pass on cartons of batteries when a rechargable is more affordable for the same purpose. I still carry my silver maglite in my car as there are times when you may wish to arm yourself with so much road rage going on around the world now.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                      Spending $20 a week on batteries is not feasible unless you are Bill Gates and no company is going to pass on cartons of batteries when a rechargeable is more affordable for the same purpose.
                      Are your crews fitted out with CR123 chewing Surefires? have you looked into the rechargeable Streamlight Stingers yet?

Maglites are a great torch (don't get me wrong I own a few), but it seems to me from a marketing point-of-view Maglite Industries don't really offer anything in the small *cough* tactical *cough* duty belt category, extended barrel 3 AA LED mini-mags don't quite cut it in this particular niche IMHO, what are your thoughts on this black bear?
                      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                        Are your crews fitted out with CR123 chewing Surefires? have you looked into the rechargeable Streamlight Stingers yet?

Maglites are a great torch (don't get me wrong I own a few), but it seems to me from a marketing point-of-view Maglite Industries don't really offer anything in the small *cough* tactical *cough* duty belt category, extended barrel 3 AA LED mini-mags don't quite cut it in this particular niche IMHO, what are your thoughts on this black bear?

The Maglites will seem conservative in lumens output compared with Cree and others, but they do really give good run time.

I have been testing runtime in some of the last flashlights I bought; I made a gizmo/tripod to hold the light while I read a book in bed. Most run time claims are wild, I get half the run time using great 2700 mah rechargeable batteries.

Even Surefire claim run time of 11 hours with their new Cree lights, and I can't get more than two hours to 50 %

It is no way around, if you have a powerful light, LED or Incandescent, it is going to drink battery juice like no tomorrow.
                        Don't believe the wild claims about run time unless you test it yourself.

Cheers
                        Black Bear

Comment

THE BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT, 1050 LUMENS

Three years ago the Borealis flashlight was conceived to be the most powerful military/police flashlight in the world. At 1050 lumens the beam of light is very similar to a two million candlepower spotlight, all that power cased in a 12 ½ inches long, 28 oz. light, that will run for 50 minutes before needing a recharge. Then the light uses a fast RC charger that does the job of recharging the high current batteries in 90 minutes.

Three years ago everybody was in awe of the Surefire M-6, a military/police light that makes 500 lumens for 20 minutes run time on six disposable 123’s batteries, at a cost of almost $12 per twenty minutes run.
                          When the agency pays for the batteries, all is well, but for the civilians that wanted to have those mega lumens of light, there was no option. Black Bear Flashlights wanted to produce a rechargeable light that surpassed the M-6 and still be affordable for those with mortgages and families, and the result was the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

The light was conceived to make use of a well known flashlight shell that is available anywhere, that way after years of hard use, the shell can be replaced for less than $20 USD and in ten minutes of the owner’s time.
                          The super-bulb that is almost 3 ½ amps needs some very powerful batteries; those nine AA batteries of high current are housed inside a Rolls Royce battery carrier that has also a charging port on the negative side. Plugging the RC fast charger in this port for 90 minutes, will recharge the powerful AA Nimh batteries.

THE ROLLS ROYCE BATTERY CARRIER AND THE RC FAST CHARGER

The Borealis also has some especial components to cope with the increased heat from the bulb. A ceramic switch/bulb holder, a solid aluminum reflector and a Pyrex lens, take care of the high temperature issue.

The BOREALIS is the highest intensity incandescent flashlight available in the market. Some HID’s lights throw more lumens, but those are considered searchlights and not flashlights; as a HID can take as much as 30 seconds to start up, they are NOT instantaneous as the incandescent flashlights are.

HERE ARE SOME COMPARISON BEAM SHOTS AT 35 YARDS WITH THE MOST POWERFUL MILITARY/POLICE FLASHLIGHTS.
                          THE CONTENDERS FROM LEFT;
                          MAGLITE 3 D, MAGCHARGER, ULTRA STINGER, SUREFIRE M-6, AND BOREALIS

MAGLITE 3 D (the most popular police flashlight)

CONTINUE IN NEXT POST

Comment

MAGCHARGER

ULTRA STINGER

SUREFIRE M-6

BOREALIS RECHARGEABLE

Black Bear Flashlights spends several hours on each light working on fixing all the internal resistance issues and pro-gold all contacts and components for an increased conductivity. This results in their trademark of intense WHITE light as more voltage reaches the super-bulb. This bulb is not a flashlight bulb, but one made for powerful medical instruments.

Police officers have adopted the Borealis for its tremendous throw and flood capabilities; hunters have abandoned their spotlights for the easy carrying of the Borealis, and civilians looking for a powerful light for the car or for home defense are flocking to the Borealis flashlight.
                            Respectfully

Black Bear

Comment

Originally posted by black bear View Post
                              The light was conceived to make use of a well known flashlight shell that is available anywhere, that way after years of hard use, the shell can be replaced for less than $20 USD and in ten minutes of the owner’s time.
                              It'd be nice to be able to purchase Maglites @ $20.00, however due to market forces (and retailer mark-up) consumers here are forced to pay premium prices $80.00 AUD (or more) per unit, that's high when you consider our dollar isn't too far behind the US currency

On A Technical Note: - How do you find the 2700mAh batteries last when asked to supply a 3.5A load?
                              Last edited by Maelstrom; 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                                It'd be nice to be able to purchase Maglites @ $20.00, however due to market forces (and retailer mark-up) consumers here are forced to pay premium prices $80.00 AUD (or more) per unit, that's high when you consider our dollar isn't too far behind the US currency

On A Technical Note: - How do you find the 2700mAh batteries last when asked to supply a 3.5A load?
                                The batteries have to be high current, Powerex 2700 mah are great! Sanyo Hr3U 2700's are fine too.
                                G&P 2600 and the Eneloop 2,000 are all high current batteries.

If the bulb is 5 amps or more you need CBP 1650 which can move very heavy loads.

Black Bear

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X