torches for law enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE ASP TAC LITE

This is another very popular tactical light in the law enforcement circles, it is five inches long and one inch in diameter. As with the other tactical lights, it works for about an hour on two of the 123’s disposable batteries.

This is the bulb of the ASP light, with a shock absorbing material wrapped around the base

The ASP line of batons is very famous for quality and craftsmanship; this light can be coupled to an ASP baton if you so desire.

Quality foam insulates the middle of the light and is a very welcome addition in the winter months when all metal lights are too cold to handle.
    The Company states 7,000 candlepower for this light
    . Candlepower in this light are high because the beam is quite concentrated. The ASP TAC LITE is famous for having a far-throwing beam.
    The reason for it is the smooth-mirror polished reflector and the shape of the filament of the bulb, which forms an arc, as it is quite short, the light is emitted from a smaller filament than those of others lights.

A light that reaches far is of dubious utility in the tactical field for clearing houses and the like, when its long throw hinders the flood capabilities of the instrument.
    Although the light features an internal capability to make it throw more flood, it is internal and is based on repositioning the bulb in the reflector, which introduces a series of artifacts into the beam.
    Surefire’s with P-60 or P-61 lamps are well established as the ones that everybody likes as far as beam throw and amount of side spill; after all, most gun fights in low light situations happen inside of a few yards, and a tight beam is more of a liability than of an asset.

However I see this light as a good contender to install it in an AR type rifle, where illumination at longer distances is needed and desired.

The tail-cap houses a nice electronic switch that is quite responsive to the touch of your thumb, the switch button is recessed and the light can be used on candle mode if the operator wishes to do so.
    However none of the additional features so desirable in a tactical light are present here. There is no anti-roll bezel to stop the light from rolling of a table or inclined surface, there is no fluted cap so light can escape if the flashlight is set on a table head down, and no grommet or stop to position the light in the Rogers-Surefire position.

As always the bear is set up at 18 feet from the camera and the deer at 12 feet and the light of the ASP Tac Lite is coming from the second story window from 26 yards away.

For comparison here is the beam shot of the Surefire G-2 with the 65 lumens (P-60) lamp

And here is the beam shot of the ASP TAC LITE, notice how the concentrate light is brighter at the target than the G-2

Kind regards
    Black Bear
    BUILDER OF THE BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT
    www.BlackBearFlashlights.com

Comment

THE STREAMLIGHT SCORPION

I like the little Scorpion a lot, it is powerful (at 6,500 candle powers) light (at 4.4 oz) not too long at 4.9 inches and with a great feel in the hand thanks to the rubber boot that covers the body.
      This rubber boot can be especially beneficial in the winter when others lights left in the trunk are too cold to hold without gloves.

The switch is momentary and click on, exactly as I want my switches; it is located in the back of the light and protected by the rubber boot.
      The momentary works well, the click is in my case too difficult to operate with my big thumb and I have to click it with my index finger.
      But it rarely that I use the click as this light can be used as a “tactical” light and the momentary mode is preferred when using it with a gun. (You don’t want to drop the light “on” and that it will illuminate you or your partner, that is the reason to use the momentary).

The light uses two 123’s batteries and run a xenon bulb for one hour, this xenon bulb is quite small, (a spare is located in the bulb holder inside the head) I will hate to have to change it in less than normal conditions, for starters you have to pry a cover from the bulb holder to access the spare, you will have a few small parts in your hands and you will need calm conditions and plenty of light to do the job properly.

For those situations I really prefer the big bulbs with reflector included of the Surefires’ or even the smaller but easy to handle bulb of the E2e’s.

Why I consider this so important? Well, the bulb is rated for 5 hours of life, which is extremely short.

I say I like this light, but it is really not rational because we have much better designs, for a tactical light. The little Scorpion will roll out on a table that is not perfectly flat, for lack of an anti-roll bezel. Surefires are much better in this department.

The beam can be adjusted by rotating the head (the filament of the bulb will go lower or higher inside the reflector), in reality I have the light set to maximum throw that will not show any artifacts and I don’t twist the head at all because the quality of the beam will be spoiled by artifacts and black spots.
      This light is good for throw considering the small reflector and the quality of the beam when set at near maximum throw is good, a nice round circle, (due to the short filament).

The lens is polycarbonate, I would like to see it changed to Pyrex, but that is my personal feelings that this light should deserve a better lens.
      I bought mine two years ago from Cabela’s and it cost me $38.00; I think that the price is right for a quality made American product.
      The bulbs run about $6.00 each and I also consider them in price, they are so bright because they are overdriven (hence their short life of 5 hours).

I have seen a holster for the light made out of Cordura Nylon, but I haven’t tried it and I don’t know if is any issues in removing the light quickly, the rubber boot cause me trouble when removing the light from tight pockets (read Jean’s) but is okay when the pocket is from s dress pants.
      I also have seen filters made for this light in red, blue and yellow for those that would like to penetrate the deer’s woods with a minimum of light pollution.

As always the beam shot are coming from 26 yards away and my camera tripod is in the same position, 12 feet from the deer and 18 from the bear.
      I have also included as way of comparison the beam shot with the P-60 lamp out of a Surefire Centurion C-2 (read it also Surefire 6P, Z-2, G-2 D-2 etc).

SCORPION’S BEAM

P-60 LAMP FROM a Surefire Centurion II

You will notice that the beam of the Scorpion is more concentrated than the P-60 lamp, making the target clearer at this distance, for tactical situations at short range the P-60 lamp is better for the extra flood, it will be easier to clear a room with a Surefire without the need to pan the light to cover it all.

Cheers,
      Black Bear

Comment

STREAMLIGHT TL-3
        XENON 9 VOLTS TACTICAL LIGHT

The TL-3 uses three of the 123’s batteries and is advertised to produce 200 lumens and one hour run time. In my experience, bulbs only last about five hours, but they are inexpensive at about $7.50 each.
        The torch sports a clip and also comes with a lanyard. Due to the diameter of the big head (1.6 inches), I haven’t looked for a holster for this light, using the clip instead to carry it on my belt inside the pants.
        Also, because I use my version of the Tiger ring system (better called Gabe Suarez ring for its inventor) a holster will not work with the protruding ring.
        By the way, my version is a rubber O ring, or better still, a hair tie (that will stretch under pressure and doesn’t break fingers).

The light is 0.9 inches in diameter. Too bad it is not a one-inch to make it useable with inexpensive Weaver rings when mounted in rifles.
        The length is 6.25 inches and it weights 6.9 with batteries.

The focus of the light is adjustable, but in flood position it introduces some artifacts into the beam. I have found the most pleasant beam when it is at the maximum throw position.
        Due to the big head, this light will throw a good beam quite a distance. I have a target fence 68 yards away and the light will reach there with enough illumination to indentify the gender of a suspect.

The price tag is quite affordable, I have seem them in the web for about $67.00 and maybe lower. It is quite a competitor to the Surefire 9 P or the Centurion III that can also make 200 lumens with their P-91 lamps.

For law enforcement use I prefer the Surefire Centurion III with the P-91 lamp, because the smaller head produces much more flood which is badly needed when clearing rooms. Also the Centurion (or the 9P) can be adapted to rifles (M-6, M-4 etc) with easily available mounts and remote pressure pad switches such as the G&P and others including Surefires’ remote switches.

As usual my target bear and deer are at 26 yards, now with all the vegetation growing in the spring and including the shadows from my cherry tree, the camera can’t show as much of the fence as it did in the winter months, so you will have to take my word for it than the flood of the Surefire Centurion is much more at this distance than the flood from the TL-3.

SUREFIRE CENTURION III WITH P-91 LAMP (200 lumens)

STREAMLIGHT TL-3 (200 lumens)

The intensity of the lights at the target is almost the same; choice between them should be made in the amount of reach you want, the TL-3 due to its big head, throw farther than the Centurion (or 9 P).

I would like to see some plastic bushing for this light that will serve to adapt it to 1 “ rings and also a remote pressure pad switch made for it, otherwise I like it well enough.

Respectfully,
        Black Bear

Comment

STREAMLIGHT TL -2

This is another of the two 123’s batteries lights, it claims to run one hour and outputs 105 lumens, which seems a little exaggerated, but then they must be talking about “bulb” lumens and not torch lumens, and not counting the loss of light by the reflector and the reflections from the lens.

Anyway, this is a great little light which weights 4.3 oz, is 09 “ wide and 4.9 “ long and can be found in the web for about $40.00.
          Since we are giving measurements, the head of the light is 1.25” wide.

I would have preferred that they use a thicker body of one inch to take advantage of the popular one inch scope rings to mount it into a Weaver or Picattiny rail, the way it is, a suitable plastic ring had to be found to take the gap and make possible to use the scope rings.
          I am talking, of course, about mounting it into a rifle or bow, because the light can made good illumination to serve together with a home protection gun or to hunt hogs with a bow at night.

The only thing I have against this light (and its brother the Scorpion) is the poor bulb life (estimated at 5 hours) but it is predictable as the bulb is quite small, the heat high and the gas inside not enough to provide a longer life to the filament.

The outside of the light is quite handsome as you can see on the picture, sorry that mine is cluttered with a piece of Velcro that I use to keep it on top of my cap.

In a hot summer day I let the light cool off for several hours in my 3 ½ gallons “beer” glass while I was watching a movie in my air conditioned living room, the light survived the dunking quite well without any signs of water getting inside.

What I like about this TL-2 (Tactical Light -2 Lithium batteries) is the recessed switch that can be pushed to activate momentarily or can be screwed toward the body for constant on, as I said unlikely the Surefires this press on momentary switch is flush with the body, so the light can be used on candle mode.
          The clip is a great one, long enough to make the use of a holster unnecessary but if a holster is what you want this light uses the same ones available for the scorpion.
          One big plus over the scorpion is the nice glass lens (instead of lexan) or it may be even Pyrex, I don’t know for sure, but it have survived in my pocket together with keys and knives without getting the lens all scratched, in fact it still look like new.

In previous occasions I have compared it with the scorpion, (as they both use the same bulb) and find them quite the same in throw and brightness, I am well aware that this picture doesn’t show the same brightness, must be the fault of the new fresh batteries that I installed before the test, it seem to me weak even that they still show over 3 volts each.

Respectfully

Black bear

Comment

Hi guys,

MAGLITE 3 D

I have received some e-mails and PM’s asking me to do a beam shot of the maglite 3 D, a light that is very popular in the law enforcement circles and with outdoorsman.

The light is billed as outputting 39 lumens; this is true with fresh high quality D batteries; however as alkaline batteries sag a lot under load, this output is maintained for only seven minutes, when it drops to 75 % of the output.

After one hour, the light is doing 50 % of the output (or close to 20 lumens).

Yes, I know this is probably a surprise to many fans of this light, so here is a chart that will explain graphically what I just wrote.

Here is the beam shot, from 26 yards and coming from the second story window, as always my deer and bear are at 12 and 18 feet from the camera.

Maglite 3 D 39 lumens (fresh, new batteries)

And here as a way of comparison, the
            BOREALIS 1050 lumens (made on the same 3 D body)

Cheers

Black Bear

Comment

THE FENIX L1D
              AA KEY CHAIN LIGHT
              WITH CREE EMITTER

I finally remembered to order one of them, as I am not in any sense keychain-light poor, having several of them from the ARC AAA passing through the CMG (Course Made Good) to the Streamlight key mate and Fenix’s L1P and LOP AAA.

Not long ago, I reviewed the Jet beam II Mark VIII, which is a very similar light to the Fenix L1D. Any of the two can be considered revolutionary, and it is hard not to get excited about them.

I opted to have the Fenix L1D that works with 1 AA battery, as I like the size and shape which is the same as the Fenix L1P that I have been using for the last 18 months.
              The L1P is a 40 lumen light that runs on one AA battery. I never did a timed run test because I always carry a couple of extra batteries in my pocket anyway to get extra run time from my lights, but wherever it is, it can never equal the multi-functional powers of the Fenix L1D.

The extreme power is achieved by a Cree 7090 XR-E LED emitter with a life of 50,000 hours- the little torch has two models of output selected by turning the bezel.
              The first mode (as you click the light on) is 9 lumens and will last for 25 hours in the AA battery. The second mode (as you soft-press the switch) is 40 lumens and will last for 5 hours, and another soft press on the switch will access the 80 lumen power and your battery will last for 2 hours.
              There is also an SOS mode (with another soft press) using the 80 lumens power.

Here are some of the lights, at top is a McGizmo modification (a collector’s item light worth $250 USD) it outputs 135 lumens and the big 32 mm reflector throws the light well at the 26 yards distance.
              Next is the Fenix L1D which shows it is a tad longer than the Fenix L1P , below.
              Next is the ARC AAA and the Fenix LOP, great keychain lights, all.

The second mode of the light system is accessed by turning the bezel ½ a turn. It is a steady 90 lumens that will last for 1 ½ hours and with a soft press of the switch the 90 lumens becomes a very quick strobe, that can disorient people or help in disco dancing.

Most chores inside the house can be handled with the 9 lumen mode. For walking the dog or hiking a trail at night I will use the 40 lumen mode; in fact, I can see that attaching it to my cap with Velcro will beat all the head lights in the market, as it is so light and so convenient without the restricting head band around my head- and anyway, I always wear a cap to shade my eyes or protect my glasses from rain, branches, etc.

The SOS or the strobe mode will always be there if I need to attract attention in an emergency. It is even useable in the suburbs, like recently, when a member of my family fell and broke her arm in the rear entrance of a church, she landed between two pine trees and the pain was so strong that she was unable to move, or even scream for help, and a key chain light used as a signal called the attention of people nearby and she was able to summon help that way.

Here are beam shots with the L1P on left and the L1D on right both at 40 lumens, the L1P is more yellow in the corona, but at the center are of the same intensity

The 80 lumen mode or the 90 lumen mode puts a tremendous amount of light NEARBY. Yes, I emphasize the word because due to the small reflector (that will diffuse the light into a flood), the reach of this little light even at that power is very restricted. Oh yes, it will serve to illuminate a big room well, but when tested at the 26 yards distance where I have my deer and bear it was just as the poor results that I got before with the Jet beam, so you can check that post if you are curious about the amount of light reaching there.

For that long distance you just need a bigger reflector of a bigger flashlight. My PR Turbo head by McGizmo running two Lithium Ion 123’s is much more efficient in putting illumination in the 26 yard spot just because the Pelican reflector of 32 mm is so much more efficient in canalizing the light.

So, a long distance light it is not, but all the other common chores can be handled very easily with the new Fenix L1D light. The battery will last a long time on the nine lumen mode (25 hours) and will probably be my choice for hanging from the ceiling of the tent all night long, in replacement of the CMG LED that I was using until now.

I paid $52 USD for the light and I consider the cost a bargain. With one in my pocket I just need two or three more powerful lights to cover all lightning situations that I can possible think of; for example, I will use a 200 lumen light in my belt for animal control (in the wild and in the street- and I mean two and four-legged animals) this could be a Surefire Centurion III with the optional P-91 lamp, or even better the rechargeable Bear Cub 220 lumen 90 minutes run time.
              For my truck or cars, I am never too far away from a Borealis flashlight, 1050 lumens and 50 minute run time, the most powerful flashlight in the world with the power of a two million candlepower spotlight.
              With that I am in control of riots, accident sites, search and rescue, and WWIII.

Coming back to the Fenix L1D, yes I am very happy with this light. Hopefully it will give me even better service than the Fenix L1P and the LOP that I have been using until now -lights that are very good and I have nothing but praise for them.
              Respectfully

Black Bear

Comment

Interesting forum, I am looking at getting a Streamlight Stinger LED. What are people's opinion on those? I know they also have a strobe feature built in and they look a bit smaller than the lights your showing here.
                I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

The Streamlight Stinger LED is rated at 3w or around 80 lumens, being approximately 8 1/2 inches it'd be larger than the smaller AA/AAA/CR123 powered units shown above

More info @ Streamlight
                  "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

SUREFIRE A-2 AVIATOR
                    DIGITAL PLUS SERIES

Here is one of the higher quality Surefire lights, the A-2 Aviator which is a regulated light capable of running for 20 hours on the 3 LED’s that produce 3 lumens and for one hour on the incandescent bulb that outputs 50 lumens.

The light is available with white, green, yellow, red or blue LED’s, my version is the white LED’s as I need the light for navigation in the woods, the other popular choice is the red LED’s for the pilots of airplanes to use in the cabin, in the tarmac the main incandescent bulb comes in handy to check the tail and wings of the plane.

The light has a switch with two stages press a little on it and the 3 LED’s come first, a little more and the incandescent bulb will be on, this is the momentary phase, also you can twist the switch for steady on for the 3 LED’s and a little more twist for the incandescent bulb.
                    The switch also has a lock on position, aligning two marks on the body and tail-cap will immobilize the switch for safe storage or carrying in luggage.

BEAM SHOT FROM 26 YARDS

The light works with two of the 123’s batteries that are supplied with it, length of the torch is 5.50 inches and it weights 4.10 oz. the finish of the light is military hard anodized type III that makes it highly scratch resistant and it comes with a long clip that makes unnecessary the use of a holster.

As the light have a regulator chip the incandescent bulb get a soft start, which make it last longer than regular incandescent bulbs.

Surefire sell the light out of his web site and at dealers for $195.00 my light serial number is A-19737 which tells me that they don’t have any trouble selling them to selective customers.
                    Cheers

Black Bear

Comment

Hi guys,
                      I did this piece for a hiking club I belong to, I thought it may interest you guys, just forgive the hiking flavor.

THE MOST POWERFUL FLASHLIGHTS
                      LIGHTS FOR TRUCK OR CAR

Hi guys,
                      Yes, I know that this has nothing to do with hiking, but most of us use car or truck transportation to get to the trail head and usually carry some form of a flashlight in the vehicle.
                      A powerful light can be a life saver in many instances, I well remember when driving up to the Adirondacks at 2 am in an empty 87 North at a point between exit 28 and 29 (North Hudson) some wild people in a truck tried to run us over into the shoulder of the road, my wife shinned a powerful light into their windshield and they desisted in the intent and actually braked hard and disappeared.
                      Maybe they though that only police cars would have such a powerful light and that it was better to look for their kicks somewhere else; the case was that the light resolved the situation for us.

Then it was the time when we used it to illuminate the scene of and accident involving a deer and a poor woman in a compact car in a dark lonely side road, where blood and the insides of the deer were everywhere and the car was inoperable.

Calling by phone from New York City to a local in the Adirondacks to get our weather information I was told of a new ruse some bad guys were using to rob and hi jack cars in roads with poor traffic in the area.
                      The information came handy a few weeks later when in Boreas road near the junction with Tahawus road we were flagged by a guy in a truck with the head lights illuminating a dead dog in the middle of the road. at the time I was using a car I had bought from my neighbor the cop, it had a PA system and blue lights mounted in the vicinity of the radiator; we stopped short, illuminated the area with the two million candlepower of a Borealis flashlight and hit the blue lights and PA system telling them over the mike to stay were they where and to show their hands. The guy in the truck jumped inside and did a burning tire escape even running over the body of the dog, while his confederate in the bushes at the side of the road had just barely time to dive head first into the bed of the truck.

So I though that I will show the guys in the forums what a powerful light is since I have several of them with me.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE LIGHTS, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: Maglite 3 D, Magcharger, Ultra Stinger, Surefire M-6 Guardian, and Borealis.

AND HERE A PICTURE OF THE BATTERY STICKS AND CARRIERS FROM LEFT: The 6 volts battery stick of the Magcharger, the skinny 6 volts battery stick of the Ultra Stinger, the plastic carrier for the six 123’s batteries of the Surefire M-6 and last the aluminum and Delryn 12 volts carrier of the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

The Maglite 3 D is the most popular light carried by almost everybody in a truck or car. The 12 ½ inches of length and the thirty one ounces of weight make also a good impact weapon for emergencies, moreover, is the affordability of the light that can be obtained almost anywhere for less than $20, and, by the way, it is a quality instrument with tight tolerances and proudly still made in the USA.
                      So the Maglite 3 D is going to be our first test and beam shot, the light is quite waterproof to a good extend, my neighbor’s kids use one to collect coins from the bottom of the pool in a game they have.
                      The Maglite 3 D output 39 lumens and runs on three of the popular D size alkaline batteries; it will run for an hour before the output drops to 20 lumens due to the sag that alkaline batteries exhibit under load.

BEAM SHOT OF THE MAGLITE 3 D (39 LUMENS)

MAG Instruments also produce a powerful rechargeable police light called the Magcharger, www.maglite.com this light is used by many police departments in the states and abroad; this light is the size and shape of a regular Maglite 3 D but with 2 rings of steel where the contacts for the charger are.
                      This light will output 200 lumens (40,000 candlepower) and I think that the price is about $120.00 a well built quality light of 12 ½ inch and a weight of thirty one ounces, it works with a 6 volt system on a stick of Ni Cads batteries; the charger will charge the light in 12 hours and as the Ni Cad batteries sometimes acquire memory, it is necessary to discharge it full and recharge to erase the memory in the batteries after using it for a couple of weeks.

BEAM SHOT OF THE MAGCHARGER (200 LUMENS)

CONTINUE IN NEXT POST

Comment

The Streamlight Ultra Stinger is the most powerful offering from Streamlight, a well known police flashlight provider, The Ultra Stinger will output 75,000 candlepower, lumens figure is 295 lumens, it also works with a 6 volt system of rechargeable Ni Cad batteries, formed in a stick, the light is very popular with many police agencies and also recharges in 12 hours.
                        Police station across America have racks of Ultra Stingers in chargers waiting for the night shift to arrive, the light is a lightweight at 12 inches and 15 ounces, I think that the price is around $130 in the street as some lights can be bought at discount from the web.
                        The address for Streamlight is www.streamlight.com there they have the whole line of Stingers and other police and emergency services lights.

BEAM SHOT OF THE ULTRA STINGER (295 LUMENS)

Our SWAT teams and Special Forces use for entry and to blind suspects a powerful military type flashlight called the Surefire M-6 Guardian. This light works with those powerful 3 volts Lithium batteries that are sometimes used in cameras, the flashlight uses six of them disposables batteries to run the light at 500 lumens for 20 minutes; after the 20 minutes you have to dump the batteries and get another six fresh batteries in the carrier, which is of not importance when the agency pay for the batteries, but to us civilians, dumping $12.00 worth of batteries after a 20 minutes run can get to be expensive.
                        This light was until recently the most powerful in the world, and Surefire sells a good quantity of them despite the tag of $400 USD.
                        I used one for a while in my car because it fits my glove compartment, as the light is shorter and lighter than the ones we have been discussing so far.
                        At 8 inches 14 ounces it is quite compact, but it will make a poor strike weapon although the powerful beam of 500 lumens will blind men or animal.
                        If you want more information on this light the address of Surefire is www.surefire.com

BEAM SHOT OF THE SUREFIRE M-6 (500 LUMENS)

My red rechargeable Borealis flashlight at 1050 lumens (two million candlepower) is the king of all the powerful lights and the most powerful flashlight in the world at this time.
                        It is made on the “host” of 3D, so replacement shells are easy available and inexpensive and the owner can replace a shell that have been scratched or dented for a mere $20 if he wishes, and in only 10 minutes transfer the special parts, (some of us take pride in good looking equipment).
                        This light is seen deployment with some members of the border patrol to illuminate the frontier in their quest for illegal immigration. The light can throw a powerful beam for hundred of yards and in a pinch it can be used as headlights or a landing light.
                        Police officers are acquiring the Borealis to use the same way that they have been using the Maglite and Magcharger, the tremendous light output makes it ideal for accident sites and traffic stops.
                        It uses a 12 volt system of rechargeable high current NINH batteries in a beautifully made Rolls Royce carrier, the batteries don’t have any problem with memory and the new type of batteries used in this light can be away from the charger for more than a month before it needs to be topped off, and the recharging time of the light is only 90 minutes.
                        The run time of this light is 50 continuous minutes; it is 12 ½ inches long and weights 28 ounces. In test ran by the maker, the light was tortured and even shot with a .22 rifle without stopping emitting light. (As a video shows in the web site).
                        The light sells for $320 shipped directly from the maker, which is www.BlackBearFlashlights.com

BEAM SHOT OF THE BOREALIS (1050 LUMENS)

I thought you guys will be interested to see all these lights in action, and I pointed them to a point in the fence next to the tree with the beams and camera shooting from a 35 yards distance, this is the longest distance that I have in the back yard

Although you can not take them in your night hikes (because of the extra weight) any of them will make a good addition to your car or truck gear, who knows, maybe they can really help you out of a tight situation like they did for me.

Respectfully

Black Bear

Comment

There's no doubt the Borealis is certainly a magnificent illuminator, not being familiar with it's like does it feature (or are you likely to include in the future) the ability to run @ lower power levels (thereby extending run-time)?

I mean while the the modest 95 ~ 114 lumen output of my Krypton 6D flashlight withers in comparrison to the above models, I find it's 10 ~ 14 hours run-time on a single set of batteries (personally I seem to get a tad longer) rather comforting
                          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                            There's no doubt the Borealis is certainly a magnificent illuminator, not being familiar with it's like does it feature (or are you likely to include in the future) the ability to run @ lower power levels (thereby extending run-time)?

I mean while the the modest 95 ~ 114 lumen output of my Krypton 6D flashlight withers in comparrison to the above models, I find it's 10 ~ 14 hours run-time on a single set of batteries (personally I seem to get a tad longer) rather comforting

I have a bulb for the BOREALIS that is 500 lumens, runtime should be doubled, but very few people are interested in lower power.

I doubt that you get that many lumens output with the 6 D for the whole runtime, as it runs on regular alkalines D batteries.

The alkalines shows a declined power after the first initial minutes of full power with fresh batteries.

I don't have a chart for the 6 D but this chart for run time in the 3 D should explain graphically what I am saying.
                            You will see that 100 % output last only for 7 minutes, after that will be 75 percent output and after an hour 50 % and declining sharply for the rest of the run time.
                            So the 3 D at 39 lumens at start will be outputting only 20 lumens after one hour.
                            This is because the inability of alkalines to keep constant current and the pronounced sag they exibit under load.

Respectfully
                            Black Bear

Comment

what would you recommend be the best hand held torch if you are a security guard? cant be anything overly big cos need to carry it on you all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by fryzie View Post
                                what would you recommend be the best hand held torch if you are a security guard? cant be anything overly big cos need to carry it on you all the time.
                                Officers have carried the Maglite 3 D (39 lumens 12 1/2 " long 32 oz) for years,
                                so I don't consider the rechargeable BOREALIS (1050 lumens, 12 1/2 " 28oz) long or heavy.
                                BUT, I make the 10" 23 oz. Black Bear 720 lumens (rechargeable) or the rechargeable Lithium Ion 18 oz 11 " POLAR BEAR at 426 lumens for 75 minutes, or the BEAR CUB 9 " long 13 oz. 220 lumens for 90 minutes.

All my lights are rechargeable.

Or you can buy a rechageable Streamlight Ultra Stinger 11 inches long, but be aware that the quoted 295 lumens is in "bulb" lumens not in "real" lumens, as it don't take into account the loses throught the reflector and lens, which are 33 %

(297 lumens minus 33 % is 198 lumens)

Surefire lights and my Black Bear Flashlights are measured in "real" lumens.

The Bear Cub 220 lumens is more powerful than the Ultra Stinger (Which is the most powerful of the Streamlights models)

Ultra Stinger 75,000 candlepower,

Bear Cub 220 lumens for 90 minutes, rechargeable

From left to right: the Bear Cub, the POLAR BEAR and the Ultra Stinger

All the others Stinger lights are well below in lumens output, never getting near 200 even in "bulb" lumens.

I can, but I will not do any light below 200 "real" lumens as the market is already well filled with Surefires and others that work with 123's batteries.
                                My Black Bear Flashlights are all rechargeables and covering the "terrific" output market.

A light that can reach 200 lumens with the special P-91 aftermarket lamp, is the Surefire 9 P or the Centurion III (about $150) But they work on three of the 123's batteries and will last for only 20 minutes of run time, consuming $6.00 every 20 minutes.

Here is the Surefire Centurion III next to my Bear Cub.

CONTINUE IN NEXT POST

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X