Knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives?

So...the other day at work, I was talking with a couple of our local deputies and we got on the discussion of using knives as another means of firearm retention. I think it seems like a good idea to have another way to ensure my weapon stays in my holster unless I draw it, but I wonder how well I could handle one in my off-hand. Our guys already carry full gear, as the state of Texas cares about the life and safety of security and so does the university that employs me, so I have tazer, OC, and baton at my disposal.

So...do any of y'all carry a knife for retention? If so, what kind, where, what's your plan, do you train with it?

NOTE: if you don't carry a weapon, I don't really think you have any valuable input here. If your state doesn't allow you to legally carry a knife at work, input to that effect is useless as well.
    A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Here in Canada depending on the province or territory you are in carrying a knife could be grounds for loss of licence, and possibly having criminal charges filed against for carrying an offensive weapon dangerous to he public peace. There is one province that prohibit private security from carrying handcuffs, batons, and big flashlights.

Comment

Originally posted by CTEXSEC1 View Post
      NOTE: if you don't carry a weapon, I don't really think you have any valuable input here. If your state doesn't allow you to legally carry a knife at work, input to that effect is useless as well.
      Good thing it's not your forum.

In Colorado Springs it is becoming common to see CSPD officers carrying small fixed blade knives or push dagger type knives on their off side. I don't know that is specifically for weapons retention but clearly it's easier to deploy a fixed blade knive with your non-dominant hand then a folder.

I no longer carry a gun AT WORK but I carry one in real life every single day. All of the retention training I've had (With the exception of the crap G4S teaches) stressed not turning the encounter into a struggle for the gun. Instructors always stressed that you should go on the offensive.

The knife is more to get them off of you so you can get the gun out. Personally I find a push dagger or other type of punching knife best for that

Comment

So...the other day at work, I was talking with a couple of our local deputies and we got on the discussion of using knives as another means of firearm retention. I think it seems like a good idea to have another way to ensure my weapon stays in my holster unless I draw it, but I wonder how well I could handle one in my off-hand. Our guys already carry full gear, as the state of Texas cares about the life and safety of security and so does the university that employs me, so I have tazer, OC, and baton at my disposal.

So...do any of y'all carry a knife for retention? If so, what kind, where, what's your plan, do you train with it?

I have over 40 or so pocket knives and switch blades.

At the hospital, they do not like us carrying knives, that being said, at previous locations, I carried a knife daily. My personal favorite tactical knife I carried was a three inch Kershaw assisted folding knife. I actually have a basket weave magazine holster that I converted to fit the knife so I could actually put it on my belt, though for most of the time, it was clipped on my dominant side pocket. The ****er is sharp, and it's still my go-to every day carry that I can just pick up and go with without a second thought. I always have a knife on me. I have quite a few other knives, I actually collect them as a hobby. I found the kershaw ken onion blur assisted to be a great EDC/working knife. Not necessarily the best knife to fight with, but when **** were to hit the fan, I know that it works, it's solid, sharp, and does its job.

I have trained with defense tactics to take downs and retention with a knife, but like I said, things have to get pretty bad to get me down to only using my knife. It's the backup to my backups. And, even though it's not my main go-to in a dangerous situation, but I always have it just in case.

I've honestly never pulled my knife in self-defense, I have other tools for that that I'd much rather use. Knife fights are always nasty. If I were to ever go to my knife it means things are bad and I have no other options. It has other uses to, practicality, etc. At the hospital my multi-tool takes care of the practical tasks I used to use my knife for. Love my multi-tool. It's a leatherman wingman. Love that thing too, sharp ass little 420 HC knife on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
          Here in Canada depending on the province or territory you are in carrying a knife could be grounds for loss of licence, and possibly having criminal charges filed against for carrying an offensive weapon dangerous to he public peace. There is one province that prohibit private security from carrying handcuffs, batons, and big flashlights.
          So...thanks for reading my post.
          A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

Good thing it's not your forum.

In Colorado Springs it is becoming common to see CSPD officers carrying small fixed blade knives or push dagger type knives on their off side. I don't know that is specifically for weapons retention but clearly it's easier to deploy a fixed blade knive with your non-dominant hand then a folder.

I no longer carry a gun AT WORK but I carry one in real life every single day. All of the retention training I've had (With the exception of the crap G4S teaches) stressed not turning the encounter into a struggle for the gun. Instructors always stressed that you should go on the offensive.

The knife is more to get them off of you so you can get the gun out. Personally I find a push dagger or other type of punching knife best for that
            Good Lord...I'm not sure exactly why you have a hard-on for my posts. For someone who is 52 years OLD you sure act like a petulant child. Thank you, again, for your irrelevant nonsense.

Comment

So...thanks for reading my post.
              I'm sorry. Have you confused yourself with somebody who has Authority to tell people what to post on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

I'm sorry. Have you confused yourself with somebody who has Authority to tell people what to post on this forum?
                Why are you after everyone here man? Like, if you don't like it here, then just go away. You used to accuse everyone here of being trolls, but honestly, you're one of the main trolls around here.

This is just some random ass topic about knives, and now it's devolving into whatever the hell this is. The OP just said he didn't want like ten posts saying "I don't use suchandsuch" and wanted actual input. If the post doesn't involve you man, then just shove off.

You attack the moderation, and you go from person to person and just nitpick or attack their posts. If you have such an issue here, leave. Or if you have nothing to add to the thread or topic then don't post. How hard is that? That's something I learned when I was five, if something doesn't involve me, don't worry about it.

If you seriously have such an issue here, and don't leave, that proves you're nothing more than a troll trying to get a rise out of people because you have nothing better to do in your sad, sorry life.
                Last edited by PhantomX0990; 02-06-2018, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post

Why are you after everyone here man? Like, if you don't like it here, then just go away. You used to accuse everyone here of being trolls, but honestly, you're one of the main trolls around here.

This is just some random ass topic about knives, and now it's devolving into whatever the hell this is. The OP just said he didn't want like ten posts saying "I don't use suchandsuch" and wanted actual input. If the post doesn't involve you man, then just shove off.

You attack the moderation, and you go from person to person and just nitpick or attack their posts. If you have such an issue here, leave. Or if you have nothing to add to the thread or topic then don't post. How hard is that? That's something I learned when I was five, if something doesn't involve me, don't worry about it.

If you seriously have such an issue here, and don't leave, that proves you're nothing more than a troll trying to get a rise out of people because you have nothing better to do in your sad, sorry life.
                  Maybe I missed something.
                  DO YOU carry a weapon at work?
                  Have you EVER carried a weapon (gun) at work?
                  D​​​​​​O YOU carry a knife SPECIFICALLY to aid you in weapons retention?

Because if not I'm pretty sure this

Applies every bit as much to you as it does to me and Fort Smith man. Well except for the fact that I actually did carry weapon at work and my response actually did address weapons retention.
                  Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 02-06-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Yes, I did carry a weapon, and I talked about training and retention. Next?

Comment

Yes, I did carry a weapon, and I talked about training and retention. Next?
                      As did I MUNCHkin

Comment

You need to work on more original insults.

Comment

You need to work on more original insults.
                          No insult 10 character minimum per post

Comment

See, still boring an unoriginal. Try something I don't already hear every day from every drunk slob to twelve year old kids on a video game. If that's the worst thing you can come up with, proves you have no argument. Go back to guarding your fence, seems like that's all you're good for nowadays.

Comment

IMHO that knives and knife fighting is a messy and is more of a hindrance then being helpful in a fight. I am much more of the opinion that impact weapons for security work should be the first choice if a weapon is needed to be used. I find that for the size it takes up on the belt a push dagger or other edged weapons and the liability that the use would incur tells me that this is not a real good idea. Not to mention the exposure to blood borne pathogens that could be potentially fatal anyways. Legally Maryland has no laws in regards to security use of a knife one way or the other. The kicker is that the knife becomes a multiplier when committing any kind of crime same as having a baton. Depending on the police officer who pulls you over you could be facing years for having said knife. That said situational awareness and hand to hand training are going to be a lot more useful then a knife for weapon retention. Everything on a security guards duty belt is designed to be a distance weapon . How you create that distance should be thru hand to hand training not thru a blade.
                              Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                              Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X