Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I shell out the money for body armor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I shell out the money for body armor?

It's something that's been a little itch for me for a long time.

Body armor honestly SHOULD be supplied by my hospital, as it is with every other in-house hospital security in the state, but it's not. You're allowed to wear it, but they don't supply it and it's not a required part of your uniform.

That being said, I'd say about half of our officers wear armor on each shift.

Normally, I'd want to not have to wear it. It gets heavy, hot, and uncomfortable, especially on long shifts.

Thing is, over the summer a couple of the guys and I had a moment of 'oh ****'. A walk in GSW had arrived. Security was doing crowd control and marking down the plates of all the vehicles parking associated with the shooting vic. While three of us were out there writing plates, a sedan comes turning the corner at a crawl, then speeds up toward the entrance drop off. And I mean SPEEDING. They floored that ****. As they passed, the back door opened. All of us saw this and all of us had the thought, "So, this is how it ends?"

Made me double think the armor thing.

Thing is the allowance coming up is only 200 dollars. armor is gonna be more than twice that.

The chances of it ever being needed are slim to none, but still, it's like this itch I can't scratch.

Are you willing to pay a minimum of $400 for something you may never use and for something that will be worthless if you gain or lose a significant amount of weight?

I can't tell you no. I can tell you that the last time I got shot at I remember very distinctly thinking " I'm so glad I'm wearing body armor" while I was going for cover. But that body armor somebody else paid the 500 bucks for and somebody else had to pay the other 500 bucks for the first set that they ordered for me that I couldn't walk as I lost 30 lbs while they were waiting for it to be shipped.

Fwiw when I was looking for body armor for myself Massad ayoob personally recommended Angel armor to me. So if you're looking for armor I would go look there first
    Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 12-19-2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post
      Are you willing to pay a minimum of $400 for something you may never use and for something that will be worthless if you gain or lose a significant amount of weight?

I can't tell you no. I can tell you that the last time I got shot at I remember very distinctly thinking " I'm so glad I'm wearing body armor" while I was going for cover. But that body armor somebody else paid the 500 bucks for and somebody else had to pay the other 500 bucks for the first set that they ordered for me that I couldn't walk as I lost 30 lbs while they were waiting for it to be shipped.

Fwiw when I was looking for body armor for myself Massad ayoob personally recommended Angel armor to me. So if you're looking for armor I would go look there first
      I've looked at Angel, but my place has a deal with a certain store for store allowance, and they like us to use the brands/equipment selected specifically for us.

Plus, sizing is gonna suck. They don't exactly make vests for females, there are a few dedicated female vests, but I doubt that's one of the ones covered, or they are a lot more expensive because of extra material needed to go around certain things.

Comment

Body armour is worth buying if it's not issued. One thing to note is that kevlar vests have to be replaced roughly every 5 years or so.

Comment

Hmm, I'm actually trying to come up with plans here. I've got an interview today to try to pick up a job doing security for the Super Bowl. Just a two month gig, I can use the money to get a vest.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
            certain things.
            they're called boobs dear and everybody in the world has them.

85% of people who are shoot with handguns survive the experience. (Although I can tell you from personal experience it sucks really bad)

Comment

You might not be that far from Uniforms Unlimited/Galls or KEEPRS. (If I recall correctly, you might have to use Aspen Mills, but I could be way off base here.) Anyway, call or stop by both Galls and KEEPRS tell them who you are and what you do. From time to time they have some deals on vests. It could be a returned vest or a cosmetic defect. Granted, a genuine female vest will be a bit less common, but there are a lot of women in cop work locally, so some will be around.

Also, Uniforms Unlimited allowed coppers to post stuff for sale at their store. Check for a gently used vest that way. Also, I get the part about five year expiration, but in all honesty, an old vest is better than NO vest. Ask around, too, among the other officers. Don't you still have off duty coppers working there? Are you planning on a vest under the blouse or an external carrier? If external carriers are allowed, you might even give some consideration to a quilted vest carrier for winter!
              Last edited by Jim1348; 01-25-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I would NOT put any faith nor my life on what Ayoob says. He’s NOT held in any esteem in any circles where real trainers/BTDT circulate. His BS has been busted wide open years ago.

Comment

For those who are in Canada for body Armour here is a link to a Canadian body armour company.

https://www.canarmor.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                    I would NOT put any faith nor my life on what Ayoob says. He’s NOT held in any esteem in any circles where real trainers/BTDT circulate. His BS has been busted wide open years ago.
                    Second that

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

they're called boobs dear and everybody in the world has them.

85% of people who are shoot with handguns survive the experience. (Although I can tell you from personal experience it sucks really bad)
                      And some folks have more of them than others, some less. Just like bellies, some of us are blessed with more, some less.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtWinters View Post

And some folks have more of them than others, some less. Just like bellies, some of us are blessed with more, some less.
                        I prefer to call it "natural bulletproofing"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Horn View Post

Second that
                          I couldn't care less about Soper's opinion about anything. I know that people I know who have been there and done that, people who I respect and who know Massad Ayoob far better than I do respect his opinion and they listen to him.

That's really all the bonafides I need

Comment

Nothing better than betting your life on some guy that’s made up more stories about himself, and has no standing with the Training Community, Just because you “heard it”.

My my contacts are ALL vetted BTDTs, not security guards who read Soldier of Fortune or SWAT magazine and run around in plate carriers thinking they’re a bunch of btdts...

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: You and squid are a couple of dangerous wanna-be’s who should NEVER be listened to as your “advice” will get someone hurt.

You are a fool.

Comment

Could we please go back to discussing purchasing body armour?
                              Last edited by fortsmithman; 12-22-2017, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X