Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather duty belt, or not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The correct answer is, wear what your employer authorizes and what the other officers you work with will be wearing.
    Formerly Known As EMTGuard

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
      I have leather basket weave. I can't stand nylon. Yeah, it's lighter, etc, but it frays and looks less professional, imo.
      I've used a nylon duty belt since 1995, and the belt has never frayed.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post

        I've used a nylon duty belt since 1995, and the belt has never frayed.
        Then it's a miracle, you don't use it much, or you don't get into many scuffles.

        Heck, the place I work requires leather basket weave, because of the look, plus no fraying.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post

          Then it's a miracle, you don't use it much, or you don't get into many scuffles.

          Heck, the place I work requires leather basket weave, because of the look, plus no fraying.
          I've used my duty belt for security, and when I was with my town's volunteer EMS dept. All depends on if you buy a cheap nylon duty belt, or one that costs more. Also here in the Northwest Territories the duty belt worn by various territorial government law enforcement agencies such as territorial sheriff's office, corrections service, and natural resource enforcement all wear nylon as that is what the territorial government issues. However if I were to start wearing leather again it would be a Gould and Goodrich Sam Browne belt in black basketweave. Because basketweave is better looking than plain.
          Last edited by fortsmithman; 10-09-2017, 05:31 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            After reading this thread I am giving strong consideration to going back to leather. I am looking at Sam Browne belt in basketweave from Gould and Goodrich, or are there any better made belts from other manufacturer's?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
              Drop it, mate.
              I forgot that post. My sincere apologies.

              Comment


              • #22
                When I worked at G4S the issue duty belt was a Bianchi and when it got worn they issued you a new one. I don't think I'd work for a company that would make me provide my own equipment.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post
                  When I worked at G4S the issue duty belt was a Bianchi and when it got worn they issued you a new one. I don't think I'd work for a company that would make me provide my own equipment.
                  It's a two sided thing for me. One, I'd love to not have to pay for my own gear, but on the other hand, having my own equipment that I selected (within the company guidelines) is awesome. I'm able to not have just the standard gear. For example, I carry drop cuffs. Not too common of a thing, but it's something I picked up as a kid in explorers. I love my drop cuffs. I wouldn't have the drop holster if I had to have a company issued holster. Not to mention I have both hinged and chain cuffs, where, for example my previous company only offered Asp chain cuffs. Now, my hospital puts an allowance up every year to get new gear/uniforms, so it's not like we are completely buying our own gear. Luckily I already had my own belt that I've had for years so I didn't have to worry, though when I originally got it the belt alone was 90 bucks, and since then I've probably spent another 250 on gear for it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post

                    I've used my duty belt for security, and when I was with my town's volunteer EMS dept. All depends on if you buy a cheap nylon duty belt, or one that costs more. Also here in the Northwest Territories the duty belt worn by various territorial government law enforcement agencies such as territorial sheriff's office, corrections service, and natural resource enforcement all wear nylon as that is what the territorial government issues. However if I were to start wearing leather again it would be a Gould and Goodrich Sam Browne belt in black basketweave. Because basketweave is better looking than plain.
                    I've noticed that in Canada law enforcement uniforms tend to be a lot more "utlitarian" and less formal than American ones. For example, police tend not to wear badges, wear external vests instead of internal ones, use nylon duty gear, no "collar brass", no "service stripes", etc.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post

                      It's a two sided thing for me. One, I'd love to not have to pay for my own gear, but on the other hand, having my own equipment that I selected (within the company guidelines) is awesome. I'm able to not have just the standard gear. For example, I carry drop cuffs. Not too common of a thing, but it's something I picked up as a kid in explorers. I love my drop cuffs. I wouldn't have the drop holster if I had to have a company issued holster. Not to mention I have both hinged and chain cuffs, where, for example my previous company only offered Asp chain cuffs. Now, my hospital puts an allowance up every year to get new gear/uniforms, so it's not like we are completely buying our own gear. Luckily I already had my own belt that I've had for years so I didn't have to worry, though when I originally got it the belt alone was 90 bucks, and since then I've probably spent another 250 on gear for it.
                      It can be a double edged sword. When I worked for HSS we were required to purchase our own equipment at our own expense within company guidelines. The payoff being that the armed officers made more money. As you said you got to pick your gear. You got to pick what worked for you. You got to choose between a 9mm or a .40 and it was YOUR equipment. (G4S almost fired me because I drew THEIR gun in self-defense on my way to work one night).

                      About a year before HSS lost the utilities contract in Colorado Springs there was a big push to arm all the guards. I had people asking me what kind of gun they should buy and I told them you go down to the next gun show and you get a $300 used Glock. To make a long story really short some of these guys went out and spent seven or eight hundred dollars on their gun. That's not including the cost of the holster (280$ approved level 2 retention holster), the belt,the magazine holders, the Handcuff case, the handcuffs, the OC spray, the OC Spray Case, the magic Mormon underwear, the list goes on.
                      Some of these guys laid out $1,500 + for all this equipment. They armed all the guards on May 1st on June 3rd one of our power plants burned down. The repair bill was estimated at 350 million dollars. The budget had to be cut and the first thing they did away with was armed security. None of the guards were compensated for the money they laid out gearing up for the armed slots.

                      G4S on the other hand issues you all of your equipment and you may only use exactly what they issue you. With the possible exception of if you want to add a trauma plate to your body armor. When I worked for them I was issued exactly 46 rounds of ammunition and I was accountable for every single round. I had to turn in one of my bullets because I was cleaning my gun and got a little too much oil on it. I am not kidding you they made me sign a direct exchange form for one round. I was not allowed to have a weapons light on my weapon because they didn't issue it to me.

                      The upside was after a year-and-a-half of working armed for them the 600$ gun they issued me was beat to.s*** but who cares. They paid for it they took the loss. If my belt had to be replaced they paid for it. When my $500 set of body armor had to be replaced because I lost 30 lb they paid for it. And when I left I left all that crap sitting on the floor in their equipment room and walked away and it didn't cost me a dime.
                      Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 10-23-2017, 11:41 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        While looking at nylon vs leather duty gear during my research I discovered that our national police force the RCMP issues nylon duty gear for general patrol use. The gear is made by a Vancouver BC company called Tactical Advantage. They sell a nylon duty belt that strongly resembles basketweave leather. it's their Professional Line. Have a look at their site.
                        https://www.tacticaladvantage.org/p2.htm

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          My leather Sam Browne belt did arrive it is a 4 stitch Gould and Goodrich. When In ordered this I mistakenly ordered the 4 stitch and not the basketweave model. I also ordered it in my pants size it fits on the last notch. I had forgotten to order one size larger. So I have ordered another Sam Browne belt this one is a size larger and basketweave, it will be a Boston Leather belt.

                          Comment

                          Leaderboard

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X