X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather duty belt, or not?

THIS POST IS OLD

Hello guys,

Last year I started working in security again. Allthough I only wear limited equipment (cuffs, flashlight, knife, keys etc....no firearm) I was wondering if it is appropriate to wear a duty belt or not. Talking here about the 2.25" wide leather belt with two prong buckle (sam browne) similar like police. Allthough we don't really need them, I think they look pretty sharp with any uniform. What is your opinion about this? Should I wear one as an unarmed guard, or stick with a regular pants belt, or go for a nylon duty belt (which looks less professional i think)? Do you guys wear those leather duty belts just for the looks of it ?
    Last edited by sec_officer; 10-02-2017, 07:37 AM.

Go for it!

I don't dig it personally because it digs into my spare tire, especially when sitting or driving.

I rock a 1" or 1.5" Walmart $1.95 nylon black "6ft lashing strap w/quick connect" buckles. Light, flexible, WASHABLE(just leave on the pants) and 6ft allows for a double section which can ride outside the pants loops to let gear hang all low and sexy if desired on one side.

But if you get a nice big fancy belt that screams "uniform" your boss will notice and like it. IMO, having at least one piece of APPROPRIATE good looking gear you obviously spent your own money on tells your boss AND client you are at least semi-serious about your job (and a lot of folks in security ain't).

Chicks will dig it, too!

If you can, get some cool looking patches for any qualifications like advanced first aid, EMT, etc to add on to your uniform. We just had a guy down here get laid when some chick used that as an excuse. IIRC you can get ones that pin-on through any fabric so you can slap on when chicks are around and but your boss ain't around to tell you "not authorized".

Match the Big Belt with high end shiny black shoes or boots. Notice the subtle detail on the toes. 10" height allows for blousing the pants if desired. http://www.lapolicegear.com/corcoran...kl_xoCFYPw_wcB
    Last edited by Squid; 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
      Go for it!

I don't dig it personally because it digs into my spare tire, especially when sitting or driving.

I rock a 1" or 1.5" Walmart $1.95 nylon black "6ft lashing strap w/quick connect" buckles. Light, flexible, WASHABLE(just leave on the pants) and 6ft allows for a double section which can ride outside the pants loops to let gear hang all low and sexy if desired on one side.

But if you get a nice big fancy belt that screams "uniform" your boss will notice and like it. IMO, having at least one piece of APPROPRIATE good looking gear you obviously spent your own money on tells your boss AND client you are at least semi-serious about your job (and a lot of folks in security ain't).

Chicks will dig it, too!

If you can, get some cool looking patches for any qualifications like advanced first aid, EMT, etc to add on to your uniform. We just had a guy down here get laid when some chick used that as an excuse. IIRC you can get ones that pin-on through any fabric so you can slap on when chicks are around and but your boss ain't around to tell you "not authorized".
      Don't forget the riot helmet. The key is to NEVER take it off in public, so you get the whole "Judge Dredd" thing going too. If you can srart pronouncing "I am...the.......LAW!" in the way Stallone does it'll go even farther.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

Don't forget the riot helmet. The key is to NEVER take it off in public, so you get the whole "Judge Dredd" thing going too. If you can srart pronouncing "I am...the.......LAW!" in the way Stallone does it'll go even farther.
        Naw, http://www.armynavypx.com/Rothco-Nav...m?1=1&CartID=0

but do go for the classic slim black Sam Browne with a basket weave wide duty belt.

I'm thinking a security guard at a booth of some big lab complex out of a 1950s sci fi horror.

normal, bow or bolo tie, depending on what State/culture.

Comment

Personally i use an Uncle Mikes nylon duty belt, wich at this point has held up for 8,5 years and i'm only considering to buy something else because i want to try something else. Getting a belt that carries the weight of your gear and distributes it well will do wonders for your back in the long run.

Comment

consider these high quality fake leather belts. they will stay looking brand new, year after year, like a fake Christmas tree. Uneffected by rain, mud, spilled drinks, oil, grease, etc. http://www.galls.com/bianchi-accumol...QzGRoC8g3w_wcB

Comment

I've worn nylon for years, because it was cheaper and durable. Aesthetics & impressing the ladies aside, go with what makes sense. If you only carried a set of keys and a mini-mag, I'd say just a regular belt would be OK (something other than a 1" dress belt, for sure). Since you do carry enough stuff that you'd have weight on the belt, I'd go for a Sam Browne or a nylon duty belt designed for equipment carry (either the standard inner / outer belt w/ belt keepers or one of the newer kind that's designed to be all in one).

If the weight increases due to a firearm, radio, etc. I'd recommend duty suspenders if you work long shifts - like mc said, its all about saving your back.

Comment

I had leather and once you go with nylon you never go back. Nylon is stiff where you want it flexible where you need it ,easier to care for and it is less heavy.
                Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

I'm in favor of a proper duty belt even if you're only carrying those items. If you have a radio, even more so. That much stuff looks dumb threaded on a regular pants belt and is less functional / less comfortable. At the mine, some guys had nylon rigs but many had nothing. They would routinely patrol holding their portable radio in one hand and the plant keys in the other, with a flashlight stuffed down a pocket. I thought that was ridiculous for several reasons, so I picked up a used leather basketweave 2.25" rig for next to nothing via eBay, shined it up, and never regretted it. As the others have said, ballistic nylon and synthetic leather have their advantages too.

Comment

I have leather basket weave. I can't stand nylon. Yeah, it's lighter, etc, but it frays and looks less professional, imo.

Comment

One thing you can do is buy a nylon "inner" belt and use that without the outer belt.

Comment

Originally posted by sec_officer View Post
                        Hello guys,

I recently started working in security again. Allthough I only wear limited equipment (cuffs, flashlight, knife, keys etc....no firearm) I was wondering if it is appropriate to wear a duty belt or not. Talking here about the 2.25" wide leather belt with two prong buckle (sam browne) similar like police. Allthough we don't really need them, I think they look pretty sharp with any uniform. What is your opinion about this? Should I wear one as an unarmed guard, or stick with a regular pants belt, or go for a nylon duty belt (which looks less professional i think)? Do you guys wear those leather duty belts just for the looks of it ?
                        First, what is your employer's uniform policy? Are you allowed to where ANY duty belt at all?

For what you carry I would think a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt would carry all your equipment with out the requirement for a Duty Belt.

http://www.gmstactical.com/witapr.html
                        Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 01-27-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
                          I have leather basket weave. I can't stand nylon. Yeah, it's lighter, etc, but it frays and looks less professional, imo.
                          I figured you'd prefer leather

Comment

Drop it, mate.

Comment

For me leather is definitely the way to go. Allthough not very common here, I wear a classic leather Sam Browne belt. Nothing beats the professional look of those belts and I think they are the finishing touch for every uniform, even when limited equipment is worn and more of that good looking belt can be seen. I have always preferred plain leather with a two prong buckle (no velcro or quick release buckles or basketwave) so it doesn't look too much like a muppet but just like a professional belt. It also keeps your shirt nicely tucked in and the buckle remains a nice resting position for your hands. I personally hate nylon...it looks kind of cheap and crappy to me....leather looks and feels so much better.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X