Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I wouldn't throw a radio. I'd throw a pen, if it was a cheap one (not a good metal one), or a book or something.

Your radio, in addition to being able to call for help, is usually heavy enough to be used as a bludegon. As well, it has sharp edges (relatively) on the battery, so you can use it as a control stick.

I don't know if anyone's specifically teaching "defensive tactics with the radio," but think about it.

Its a weapon, once you start thinking about it, that you can use to jab, stab, strike, and push with. And, with most "public safety" radios, they'll take the abuse and still key up.

Leave a comment:

• ff000525
    replied
    Originally posted by crankloud
    As a hospital employee we don't carry any personal protection equipment at all.We need special training and licences to carry handcuffs and batons and even though we have this training we are not allowed to carry these items.It sounds ridiculous and dangerous but that is the policy we have to work under.we could probably throw our radio at them it weighs a bit.
    I'd throw my boots, notepad, pen, or tie clip at them before my radio. I'm unarmed and my radio was the only thing that kept me from getting my butt-kicked once, because the guy saw me talking on it and realized I was in contact with someone.... unfortunetly for us unarmed guys that radio is the best protection we have

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Shades

If I worked sentry duty at a high profile facility, I wouldn't mind the shades that allow me to see who is behind me w/o turning my head. Otherwise, one could be subject to a "sore" throat if attacked with a garrote or a commando knife from behind.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    The only problem I've found with Krip's merchandise is that its not name-brand, and that can cause a liability headache when the time comes.

When you buy Sabre, DefTec, MSI, or Guardian brand OC, you know who makes it, what is in it, and you can get liability support from the manufactuer.

I'm not sure who "streetwise" is, it looks like a rebranding ala distributorship, but who am I going to call up and ask "what is the propellant type, where do I get an MSDS, and how is the concentration method determined?" Especially if your having to defend your employee from an excessive force case - finding out that your brand of OC uses Freon for propellant and the concentration is "variable..."

Here in WI, we MUST carry no more than 10% OC. Anything stronger is illegal, period. I saw some 17% OC on that website, in a can size that's also restricted to LE only in WI. The policies only dealt with Stun Guns, and are the same policies that every reseller of stun guns has.

As far as the steel expandable batons, if it isn't Monadnock, PPCT, ASP, Winchester, or CASCO, it isn't carried. And I would perfer it to be Monadnock or ASP for liability management reasons.

Buying a "solid steel stick" or whatever you'd like to call it is fine, but when your having to use these weapons professionally as defense and compliance tools, the quality and liability support comes into play.

Leave a comment:

• Krips Defense Products
    replied
    Krips Defense Products is not for a chuckle, maybe a little.

Originally posted by wisconsinite
    Here's an interesting little website I ran across....
    http://www.kripsdefenseproducts.com/

At this site, they have "spy glasses".
    Shades that when worn, let you see what's going on behind you.
    How's THAT for incognito surveillance???
    LOL
    I wouldnt buy it for a second. That to me seems too hokie, James Bond stuff...
    The site also stocks self-defense products, alarms, listening and recording devices. If anything, the site is good for a chuckle or two.
    You know, I'm a little insulted. My site is not for "a chuckle or two". Yes I carry some "toys" and the name of my business is a little weird but we do carry some serious products and we take our website very serious. We have a large selection of very serious Wireless Security Systems for the home, business and personal use. Also Stun Guns, Stun Batons ( these are not toys and their not meant to make you chuckle!). Metal Batons, Pepper Spray, Surveillance Cameras and just a whole bunch of serious products. This site is for Adults and children. I'm not creating a commercial here, just making a point. I do have a sense-of-humor, I mean, I am disabled and my buddies call me Krip and I love it!
    Last edited by Krips Defense Products; 04-01-2006, 02:43 AM. Reason: Oops!

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by wisconsinite

LOL
    The site also stocks self-defense products, alarms, listening and recording devices. If anything, the site is good for a chuckle or two.
    LOL Actually, I had a pair of those 'spy' glasses as a kid... They worked surprisingly well, believe it or not... Made it a LOT harder for my brothers to sneak up & tackle me from behind..

The only downside at the time, is they only came in one style, and it wasn't exactly.... well... stylish... lol

EDIT: And wouldn't ya know, this site has 'em! The ones they're selling for $5.36 listed as "007 Spy Sunglasses" are the exact ones I had as a kid... LOL

Leave a comment:

• crankloud
    replied
    What to carry

As a hospital employee we don't carry any personal protection equipment at all.We need special training and licences to carry handcuffs and batons and even though we have this training we are not allowed to carry these items.It sounds ridiculous and dangerous but that is the policy we have to work under.we could probably throw our radio at them it weighs a bit.

Leave a comment:

• wisconsinite
    replied

LOL

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by ACP01
    Here is a site that dicusses Force Continuum, Spray, Liability etc.
    Thought youmight like the read.
    http://www.crimedoctor.com/
    I've read this guy's stuff before, usually through Google links. Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ACP01
    replied
    Here is a site that dicusses Force Continuum, Spray, Liability etc.
    Thought youmight like the read.
    http://www.crimedoctor.com/

Leave a comment:

• aaron
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    You missed the point where in Lousiana, where the man works, they're not allowed to carry any of those things, did you not?
    yeh i did miss it lol

i am the most guilty person for skimming text and dont usually pay attn to links although this is one of me week points

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Interesting. It was either in Security Dealer, Security Design and Technology, or SecurityInfoWatch, but someone was noting that in the era of "do it yourself" urinalysis and breathalizer testing for non-LE incidents, the human resources department would be extremely well off by having a security officer either present during the testing to maintain order, or have the security department do all the testing.

This allows a designated shift point of contact for all HIPPA/Chain of Custody/EEOC laws, maintains order when people "don't like" the results of their positive test, and preserves the safety of the employee and samples from attack or adulteration.

The article, I did note, suggests less of an "observe and report," and more of a "protect life and property" concept. Just having the security officer stand there and call 911 when the HR person is being attacked is no better than having another HR associate standing there.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Again, from the official regulations at http://www.state.la.us/osr/lac/46v59/46v59.pdf -
    E. Authorized Weapons. The following weapons are the
    only weapons authorized and approved by the board:
    1. straight baton or PR-24 baton;
    2. .357 caliber revolver, minimum four inch barrel
    with .357 or .38 caliber ammunition or .38 caliber revolver,
    minimum four inch barrel with .38 caliber ammunition only;
    3. 9mm semiautomatic, minimum four inch barrel,
    double action; and
    4. shotgun;
    5. 40 caliber weapon, minimum 4-inch barrel.

There's no mention of OC, Tazers or ASPs. None needed where I am either. I answer phones, Sign weight tickets of trucks coming across our scales into the plant, sign in contracters, do piss tests when someone damages something or someone, splint fingers, arms and legs, transport the occasional injury to the hospital and hopefully get through the shift without getting a flat tire on the Medical Van.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by aaron
    oh my god

Ok i suggest you speak to ure emplyer and get them to get you a 21" asp, OC or Mace, Taser, and couple of pairs of cuffs that way if you feel that a situation is escalating then you will be able to decide on the best method possible to de-escalate the situation.

You missed the point where in Lousiana, where the man works, they're not allowed to carry any of those things, did you not?

Leave a comment:

• aaron
    replied
    oh my god

Ok i suggest you speak to ure emplyer and get them to get you a 21" asp, OC or Mace, Taser, and couple of pairs of cuffs that way if you feel that a situation is escalating then you will be able to decide on the best method possible to de-escalate the situation.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X