No announcement yet.

armed, do you wear a vest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't carry a firearm but I still feel naked without my Safariland level II ballistic/level II stab resistant vest. When I was first hired I thought the all of the Officers who wore vests had a severe case of wannabee syndrome, because we are unarmed and what can actually go wrong at a hospital . My mind was changed shortly afterward when I ended up wrestling with a meth head, who had run into the hospital to get away from Police and had ditched his gun and dope shortly before I caught him. We also have an inpatient psychiatric unit whose patients seem to be very adept at fashioning improvised weapons (shanks).
    Drew Neckar
    Hospital Security Supervisor
    ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
    --Oscar Wilde—

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
      Wisconsin has the same law. Unless you are a police officer, licensed security officer or a private investigator, you are not allowed to possess any body armor unless you have special permission from law enforcement or the state.

Wisconsin makes it very hard for its citizens to protect themselves.
      Where do you find this? You have me a little worried, because as an in-house department we are not licensed by the State. The only thing I could find regulating the possession of bodyarmor are the prohibitions outlined in WI statute 941.291(2), which basically only prohibits its possession by violent felons and those who have been found not guilty of a violent felony due to mental illness.
      Drew Neckar
      Hospital Security Supervisor
      ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
      --Oscar Wilde—

Comment

Originally posted by HospitalOfc.
        Where do you find this? You have me a little worried, because as an in-house department we are not licensed by the State. The only thing I could find regulating the possession of bodyarmor are the prohibitions outlined in WI statute 941.291(2), which basically only prohibits its possession by violent felons and those who have been found not guilty of a violent felony due to mental illness.
        I have been unable to find a statute regarding this, either.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

To answer the original question...If you are working armed & uniformed (the one goes with the other) - open carry, then you should be wearing a vest. Those of us that have actually been shot at while on duty, unlike our anti-gun guru "Mr.Security", can further testify as to the need and an immediate inability to find enough protection.
          In most all areas, if your licensed (state or county) to carry openly as part of your job, your ok in being vested.
          The issues with private civilians being vested are most all geared towards convicted criminals or those perpetrating a criminal act.
          There are exceptions, but a licensed armed officer on the job is normally not associated as being part of the former group.

You should wear a protection level that is capable of defeating the firearm YOU carry. Statistically, Officers, Police & Armed Guards are more likely to be shot with your own firearm after being disarmed in a struggle, etc. If you dont believe this, check the DOJ stats.
          Level II is minimal these days, IIA is what is most common for a mix of comfort & protection. The coverage is a matter of choice, I wear a full coverage IIA Safariland, since I tend to stand more bladed most times & it provides coverage when I'm seated in my patrol car.
          I carry a trama soft plate in my tac bag which I can drop in the pocket should I have to grab my M4.
          Level IIA will not stop the 5.56 round, or most any rifle round for that matter, but it made me feel better the few times we went to the long guns as primary.
          As a side note..This is why however, handgun disarming & retention courses are so very important, even if you have to take a class outside of your employment for your own growth..its your life afterall....those that carry openly on the job & dont vest up have lost sight of Job#1... to go home everyday!
          Yoda
          Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

Comment

Don't fool yourself. Hospital security is one of the most dangerous post out there. You are dealing with the aftermath of what's left from a scene and the emotions that go with it. Albeit a crime scene or druggies, auto accidents and to many bad things to list. In our state they can't get officers to even apply for that job.

In 99.9 % deadly force is not an option in a place of healing. Irregardless of what the state law on vest wearing is you better wear one. I always do and don't really care if some politician thinks that I'm not good enough to stay alive. It's not his or her fat asses out here. A fine is a lot cheaper than a funeral.

Dam I'm getting cranky in my old age
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Well I just got my new vest today, tired of the other one because it was so freaking heavy. Got a level IIA Galls Lite Extended Coverage vest for $288.00 after shipping and taxes. All I can say is it is so so much lighter then my old vest, way more comfortable, and full coverage. I also but my trauma plate from my old vest in it. If looking for a cheap but good vest check it out. When holding my old vest and my new vest at the same time it is crazy how heavy the old one is. The new one makes it feel like I am wearing nothing.

Comment

This morning I was speaking with an EMT that came to pick up some supplies. I asked him if he wears a vest on the job and he replied no and related a strange but believable phenomena that has him looking for a vest. Twice in one month he rolled up on two different cruiser wrecks and in both instances the officers had their we weapons out and were disoriented.

I have to think that as an armed person in any field your weapon is subconsciously the last thing between you and the end. Anyway he said that they couldn't treat either one until LE came and removed the pistols from the officers hands.He stated just one more thing to add to the What me worry list. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
                  This morning I was speaking with an EMT that came to pick up some supplies. I asked him if he wears a vest on the job and he replied no and related a strange but believable phenomena that has him looking for a vest. Twice in one month he rolled up on two different cruiser wrecks and in both instances the officers had their we weapons out and were disoriented.

I have to think that as an armed person in any field your weapon is subconsciously the last thing between you and the end. Anyway he said that they couldn't treat either one until LE came and removed the pistols from the officers hands.He stated just one more thing to add to the What me worry list. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
                  I have.

Give your friend the DT4EMS link. Sounds like his agency doesn't give him any training in self defense, or gives the AMA "Talk till you're dead" training.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X