Patrol carbines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol carbines

I am interested in what patrol carbines your carrying (if allowed)? I know all about the AR 15 in varies makes and models. I understand there is a small following with one group (I think CA) in the M1 carbine. The Marlin Camp Carbine was written about alot as a patrol rifle. The one arthur advised that when carried upright in a car, you could hit a hard bump and chamber a round. So lets hear about the carbines and share the good and bad.

Thanks

PAofficer

Originally posted by PAofficer
    I am interested in what patrol carbines your carrying (if allowed)? I know all about the AR 15 in varies makes and models. I understand there is a small following with one group (I think CA) in the M1 carbine. The Marlin Camp Carbine was written about alot as a patrol rifle. The one arthur advised that when carried upright in a car, you could hit a hard bump and chamber a round. So lets hear about the carbines and share the good and bad.

Thanks

PAofficer
    That would have to be a pretty hard bump.
    The camp carbine is a great little rifle. I regret selling mine, and they are no longer made.
    The Ruger PC series is similar except it is heavier.
    Kel-Tec has some nice ones although I don't know if they hold up as well as the others over the long haul. So far my SU-16 is doing fine but it only has a couple thousand rounds through it, and it is not used as a patrol rifle.
    Mini-14's are popular out here, very durable but in my experience, not very accurate after the first few rounds.
    I havn't seen anyone using an M-1 carbine in years as a duty weapon.
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

I really like the mini 14 for patrol work in a vehicle. I been shooting them since 1977 when the local PD got 2. Never owned one but shot quite a few of them. About the M1 carbine I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) about a security firm in private low income housing that was using them, kinda think it was in CA. M1's problem always seemed to be a cartridge that lacks a good bullet design. I think the ammo markers really are missing out by not working on a self defence load for it. Boss has a AR type (full size) scoped but he hardly ever carries it. It's kinda bulky for patrol work. I still think that a wooden stock and blue steel looks better in our line of work (patrol security)(non military). I beleive the Kel Tec has a good design for certan applications with it's compact size. I just would like to hear more about it's use in security or LE work.

Comment

If it was private security then it was not CA. Pistols are the only legal firearms for private security in CA. (Armoured Cars not included)
        "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
          If it was private security then it was not CA. Pistols are the only legal firearms for private security in CA. (Armoured Cars not included)
          More correctly stated pistols are the only regulated firearms for security officers in CA. Rifles are not regulated other than what would be legal for a private citizen in the state. I know of a few companies that allow their officers to have rifles or shotguns in the patrol vehicle, they just have to be unloaded.

California Security Blog
          Domain Registration Services

Comment

Regarding a self defense load for the .30 M1 Carbine. I developed a load while I was in Alaska back in the mid 60's that should fit the bill. I used a 110 grain half-jacket hollowpoint. One thing tho, the cartridges are a pain to reload because they stretch a lot and almost always need to be trimmed quite a bit. This of course reduces the number of times they can be reloaded. The 110 gr with the right powder has tremendous muzzel energy, and being a hollowpoint works well as a defense load.
            Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafetyred
              More correctly stated pistols are the only regulated firearms for security officers in CA. Rifles are not regulated other than what would be legal for a private citizen in the state. I know of a few companies that allow their officers to have rifles or shotguns in the patrol vehicle, they just have to be unloaded.
              Unloaded, Locked, Inaccessable from passenger compartment, and seperrate from ammo. This is what it would take to be legal in CA for any private citizen in a vehicle. It is therefore useless. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                Unloaded, Locked, Inaccessable from passenger compartment, and seperrate from ammo. This is what it would take to be legal in CA for any private citizen in a vehicle. It is therefore useless. IMHO.

No, just unloaded. You may be thinking of handgun storage in a vehicle; this is different than a long-gun in CA.

California Security Blog
                Domain Registration Services

Comment

http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downlo...T_2007_web.pdf

Though I don't know about that many moving parts....More chances for failure IMO.

Still, that ejector would take a LOT of getting used to.

I, for one, would be more than willing to try (as long as someone else is buying the ammo)
                  Last edited by OccamsRazor; 01-12-2007, 12:07 AM. Reason: i kan spel lyke jon carry

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafetyred
                    No, just unloaded. You may be thinking of handgun storage in a vehicle; this is different than a long-gun in CA.
                    I beleive this is correct, I've look in the PC, CVC, and F&G, Basicly says
                    "Unloaded, Locked" (such as with a Gun Rack, lockable) Does not say anything about where it must be located, (Shotguns, Rifles)

Anyone carry Paintball Guns with OC/TG Rounds?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X