Different Baton Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Baton Design

I hadn't seen the "Apprehender" baton before - perhaps someone knows something about it. I've sent for the Demo DVD, but don't skip the flash intro here because there's no other video on the website. It looks like an interesting idea: The Apprehender Baton
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Hmm.... Interesting concept...

Personally though, there's one thing I don't see anywhere on their site, that I think this item would need... A good sturdy lanyard... Let's say you shove this thing out, clasp it on your suspect, and he gives a strong, sudden tug? Your apprehension tool just became a makeshift baton for HIM.

Unless they offer something to counter this, I think I would pass this one by, personally.

//.02
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

I agree with Bridgegate on this one, the first thing that came to me when I saw this was the suspect now having a weapon attached to him... not good if you lose your grip, cause he cant lose his. I'll stick to a straightstick or an ASP.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Definatly a bad idea. You would just give the suspect a very potentially deadly weapon to pulverize you with.
        Last edited by fatalflaw; 01-04-2007, 03:23 AM.
        We may not be sworn in, have all the powers of arrest as a peace officer, or are able to run red & blues, but damnit, when the chips are down, the **** hits the fan, and the bullets are flying, me and an LEO share the same dumpster for cover, and spill the same blood in the same mud. All other differences are just details.

Comment

Seems it might be a little bulky on the belt and possible a hinderance when it catchs everything you walk past. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Comment

that would kinda suck, your walking out of the bathroom and your cuff end of the baton grabs the door handle and latches on :P

I like the "idea" of the cuffing baton but its execution and design seems poor, maybe a bit of refining but like I said I like the concept.
            We may not be sworn in, have all the powers of arrest as a peace officer, or are able to run red & blues, but damnit, when the chips are down, the **** hits the fan, and the bullets are flying, me and an LEO share the same dumpster for cover, and spill the same blood in the same mud. All other differences are just details.

Comment

This looks like something between a bent PR-24 and a steering wheel club lock.

Nothing to hold on too indeed.

You would be better using the club lock it has at least something on the end to hold on too.
              My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Not to mention... good luck getting that on someone's arm, especially if they are resisting.
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I take it from the comments, then, that no one has actually seen or picked up one of these batons. I learned about this baton when our county sheriff's department obtained one and liked it well enough to evaluate them further, so when I hear something on their results I'll post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
                    I take it from the comments, then, that no one has actually seen or picked up one of these batons. I learned about this baton when our county sheriff's department obtained one and liked it well enough to evaluate them further, so when I hear something on their results I'll post it here.
                    I had not seen or heard of this previously. I like the concept but as others had mentioned, I see a good deal of potential for take aways, giving the suspect a weapon. The idea needs work, IMHO.
                    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Before people judge the device prematurely on the basis of a couple of photographs, here's a demo of the Apprehender on You-Tube - obviously, it's not quite what people are pre-judging it to be.

I will definitely be looking at this new baton much more closely, and especially now that I've looked at the video very closely several times, it's very obvious that it couldn't be taken away from the officer one bit more easily than any other baton. Incidentally, the concept of the "control zone" mentioned toward the end of the video, almost as an afterthought, is probably the most critical thing you should notice about this tool. One of the venues where I think it might have particular value is hospital security, controlling potentially violent patients in a safe manner. Brilliant!

It's brand new, of course, so there's some testing to be done, but I'm guessing it will probably sell quite well to the LE community, presuming it's well-made and they don't uncover problems with the cuffing mechanism. (I have no financial interest in this product or the company that makes it.)
                      Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-05-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Looking at the video, I think the device shows promise. It can work as a traditional straight stick. I'm not sure about the level of practice that would be required to use it like a PR-24 or tonfa-like weapon with the power strokes, but all in all, its still a straight stick - and those are still used all over the US.

Now, they didn't show a suspect actually resisting in the video, but if you can snag a wrist with it, you have leverage against the suspect, especially if you can compound it by pulling the stick inwards to your body.

I wouldn't use this as a primary impact tool any more than a full sized PR-24, simply because the moment I needed it, I'd find it in the car or in a fixed post guard mount. You can say the ASP is a backup to this, or this is a backup or dual-purpose device in addition to the ASP, but the ASP stays on the belt - I can't forget that.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

It is an interesting device. Time will tell how far it goes in usefulness. I also believe it shows promise. I always loved the PR24 but it seems to have fallen out of favor a bit these days.

Comment

It would be effective in controlling and removing a subject in the driver's seat who resists coming out of the vehicle. Even if he drives off, it's going to be tough getting far with the baton locked on his wrist. It also keeps the officer from reaching in to cut off the ignition and then getting dragged. It does however, appear to be cumbersome. I like the idea noted by some members of keeping the ASP and having this baton mounted in the patrol car for special circumstances.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

interesting

i like it...the concept of it...but prfer the ASP. However, looks like will only work good with security officers with some either police or miltary training or some form of martial arts knowledge. As Nathan pointed out in another post on another subject there are a lot of officers without the that sort of training and their companies could care less about giving it to them... could dangeous to the untrained s/o.
                              Last edited by james2go30; 01-11-2007, 11:19 PM. Reason: misworded

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X