No announcement yet.

Tactical Defense Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why waste a ton of $$ on a tacticool combat pen when you could simply go down to nearly any store and buy a pack of 10 or 12 Bic Stick pens? Sure, they are plastic, but I am willing to be the farm that it would puncture the skin of a potential assailant. Also, a regular old Sharpie makes a pretty decent kubaton. I have the Persuader from Monadnock for when I am at work, but I carry the Sharpie when I am not. A Mini-Mag Lite was also mentioned. It is a great option too. It is foolish to waste a ton of money on these things when comparable, TOTALLY LEGAL alternatives exist.

Comment

http://www.coldsteel.com/91sp.html

But I have to agree with Dougo on this, although not about bic pens. I prefer pens that actually write when I want them to. But there are plenty of quality stanless steel and aluminum pens of good quality available for $1.00-$3.00 ea.
      "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
        http://www.coldsteel.com/91sp.html

But I have to agree with Dougo on this, although not about bic pens. I prefer pens that actually write when I want them to. But there are plenty of quality stanless steel and aluminum pens of good quality available for $1.00-$3.00 ea.
        Bic was just an example. And...they are more suited for stabbing than for writing.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
          Along those same lines, I also found myself in a biker bar one time where I took a corner table, sitting with my back to the wall, and the first thing I did was to unscrew the top off the pepper pot and kept it in easy-snatching distance, remembering how useful this was once for an old pal o' mine. It did occur to me well after I left that I'd forgotten to tighten the lid back down. Oh well...c'est la vie!
          I'm curious how effective throwing pepper in someones face is for self defense.
          I wonder how well it worked for your old pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Plugger View Post
            I'm curious how effective throwing pepper in someones face is for self defense.
            I wonder how well it worked for your old pal.
            I guess u have never accidentally gotten salt or pepper in your eyes??
            THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
              I'll point to Florida, which does not issue concealed firearms licenses, they issue "Concealed Weapon Licenses." This allows you to carry any weapon that a citizen may legally possess consealed on their person. This includes batons/billies, tear gas over 2 ounces, swords, knives of various lengths, shotguns, lawfully stamped short barrelled rifles, pistols, automatic weapons, sticks (clubs), martial arts weapons, and anything else you care to carry.

Since this pen is clearly self-classified as a weapon by its manufacturer, it falls under Florida Statute's definition of a weapon. Just like the pen that squirts tear gas. It may write, too, but it is designed and marketed as a weapon.

Some states issue pistol licenses. Tennessee is one of them. You may not carry other types of weapons while in TN on your out of state concealed "pistol" license. As far as "A revolver is not a pistol," that depends on who you ask, the permit in TN to conceal a firearm is restricted to pistols and revolvers, yet is called a "pistol permit." In other words, thanks for playing the semantics game, the State decides what to call things.

In Wisconsin, people have been arrested for having carpet knives (a tool) in their posession while going to and from work. I have also heard of people being arrested for carrying a concealed kubaton in Kenosha. In other words, if it looks like a weapon, or its marketed as a weapon, the prosecution will assert it is a weapon for a concealed weapons charge.

As I said, some states will decide this thing is an affront to humanity and demand that it either not be carried or carried under CCW legislation. As far as, "does the owner of such a pen require..." According to the State of Florida, yes, he requires the same amount of scrutiny if he wants to carry any weapon concealed about his person. Knife, billy or club, stick, tear gas container, night stick, short barrelled rifle, automatic howitzer, sword, kubaton, sword cane, you name it, its illegal to possess in public without a CCW unless its "openly worn." Unless its a firearm or Taser, then you can't openly carry it.

Illinois requires personnel owning the Taser to get an Illinois Firearms Owner Card. Does this mean that the taser requires the same level of scrutiny as a firearm? You better believe it.
              And guessing only as an on duty so or leo.
              THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleSal View Post
                Wow. Thanks for the info. I was probably pissed at the messenger over the message. My apologies for that.

Florida sounds like an interesting State. In essence, they seem to be saying, "if you're a law-abiding citizen, we're not gonna split hairs over weaponry", which makes sense logically.

I on the other hand live in Tennessee, and I just can't see the average cop giving me a hard time over kubotans when he sees the CC license.

What can be said about WI and IL? How about something positive: both still allow moving to different States.
                ---------------------
                Florida passed the new immune from civil if life is in fear.
                Then they passed hb137 which doing any of the following :wheelies, 50 over speed limit, tricks/stunts, or tag improperly mounted is 1st offense $1000
                2nd offense 2500
                3rd offense 5 grand automatically felon.

It was meant for "crotchrockets,",yet mustangs and some others do 50 mph over speed limit.
                Florida is strange.

Comment

I'll point to Florida, which does not issue concealed firearms licenses, they issue "Concealed Weapon Licenses." This allows you to carry any weapon that a citizen may legally possess consealed on their person. This includes batons/billies, tear gas over 2 ounces, swords, knives of various lengths, shotguns, lawfully stamped short barrelled rifles, pistols, automatic weapons, sticks (clubs), martial arts weapons, and anything else you care to carry.

Since this pen is clearly self-classified as a weapon by its manufacturer, it falls under Florida Statute's definition of a weapon. Just like the pen that squirts tear gas. It may write, too, but it is designed and marketed as a weapon.

Some states issue pistol licenses. Tennessee is one of them. You may not carry other types of weapons while in TN on your out of state concealed "pistol" license. As far as "A revolver is not a pistol," that depends on who you ask, the permit in TN to conceal a firearm is restricted to pistols and revolvers, yet is called a "pistol permit." In other words, thanks for playing the semantics game, the State decides what to call things.

In Wisconsin, people have been arrested for having carpet knives (a tool) in their posession while going to and from work. I have also heard of people being arrested for carrying a concealed kubaton in Kenosha. In other words, if it looks like a weapon, or its marketed as a weapon, the prosecution will assert it is a weapon for a concealed weapons charge.

As I said, some states will decide this thing is an affront to humanity and demand that it either not be carried or carried under CCW legislation. As far as, "does the owner of such a pen require..." According to the State of Florida, yes, he requires the same amount of scrutiny if he wants to carry any weapon concealed about his person. Knife, billy or club, stick, tear gas container, night stick, short barrelled rifle, automatic howitzer, sword, kubaton, sword cane, you name it, its illegal to possess in public without a CCW unless its "openly worn." Unless its a firearm or Taser, then you can't openly carry it.

Illinois requires personnel owning the Taser to get an Illinois Firearms Owner Card. Does this mean that the taser requires the same level of scrutiny as a firearm? You better believe it.
                  In florida a citizen may open carry a taser as it is a dart-firing stungun.
                  Last edited by bigdog; 10-19-2008, 05:04 AM.
                  "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
                    ---------------------
                    Florida passed the new immune from civil if life is in fear.
                    Then they passed hb137 which doing any of the following :wheelies, 50 over speed limit, tricks/stunts, or tag improperly mounted is 1st offense $1000
                    2nd offense 2500
                    3rd offense 5 grand automatically felon.

It was meant for "crotchrockets,",yet mustangs and some others do 50 mph over speed limit.
                    Florida is strange.
                    Its actually immunity from civil proceedings or criminal prosecution for any lawful force not just deadly force.

Comment

And guessing only as an on duty so or leo.
                      Any private citizen can open carry a weapon except a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                        Any private citizen can open carry a weapon except a firearm.
                        Especially since the Class D license gives no authority to carry a weapon, and the Class G license only covers firearms.

The only reason that a security (whatever) in Florida can carry handcuffs, tasers, mace, batons, slapjacks, or any other weapon (other than a firearm) is because Sally Soccermom and Joe the Plumber can.

This, also, btw means that a security person could carry a sword if they wanted to.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I thought open carry was illegal in Florida. And concealed carry only allowed with a license.

Go to a public place carrying a sword would probably get u swamped with cops and baker acted,LOL

Comment

Especially since the Class D license gives no authority to carry a weapon, and the Class G license only covers firearms.

The only reason that a security (whatever) in Florida can carry handcuffs, tasers, mace, batons, slapjacks, or any other weapon (other than a firearm) is because Sally Soccermom and Joe the Plumber can.

This, also, btw means that a security person could carry a sword if they wanted to.
                            I find myself curious whether or not any Florida-bases security companies would have issue with carrying a sword while on duty.

Comment

I thought open carry was illegal in Florida. And concealed carry only allowed with a license.

Go to a public place carrying a sword would probably get u swamped with cops and baker acted,LOL
                              Not really. So long as you are openly carrying it, not brandishing it, nothing is going to happen to you. I know this from experience.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

That is the first good thing I have ever heard about Florida's security laws.
                                "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X