Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Belt se-up

Hello All,

I've recently started a job that requires me to carry cuffs and OC spray. All told, I will carry Cell Phone, OC, Radio, cuffs, and keys.

I currently carry my cell phone right side hip (strong side). In class, we never really discussed strong-side vs. weak side for OC... I was told that cuffs are really a personal preference thing.

I already know the obvious - cuffs don't go in the center of the back. Causes back problems.

I'd be intrested to hear some opinions of how an un-armed duty rig should be set up.

Thanks.
    The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

I wear a suit so dont wear a duty belt but my .02. I carry pager, personal phone and radio on my strong side. immediatly opposite on my weak side I carry my large ring of keys to kinda offset the weight. Glove puch above my right side rear pocket, opposite is my brand new TDI LE Knife (love it!) inbetween the two I carry one set of cuffs slipped with one end slipped into my pants. work phone I wear horizontally in the front to the left of my buckle.

My reasoning? the weight distrubution is similar to when I am armed and do wear a duty belt. (Gun strong side, mags to the front horizantally, cuffs above rear pockets, etc)

Comment

(left to right) Weapon light, magazines, radio, pepper spray, large flashlight holder, shotgun ammo, glock 17, expandable batton, cuff's.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Cuffs, OC, flashlight, all strong side...

The radio and Leatherman on the opposite hip kind of evens things out weight wise...
        “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
        "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
          I wear a suit so dont wear a duty belt but my .02. I carry pager, personal phone and radio on my strong side. immediatly opposite on my weak side I carry my large ring of keys to kinda offset the weight. Glove puch above my right side rear pocket, opposite is my brand new TDI LE Knife (love it!) inbetween the two I carry one set of cuffs slipped with one end slipped into my pants. work phone I wear horizontally in the front to the left of my buckle.

My reasoning? the weight distrubution is similar to when I am armed and do wear a duty belt. (Gun strong side, mags to the front horizantally, cuffs above rear pockets, etc)
          ME TOO! I wear a suit. Do you have the same problem with the keys etc "eating" the lining of the jackets? I always carry my walkie-talkie in my hand parially due to the weight of not having a duty belt & partially because I strongly believe in visable deterancee which is not obvious when you are not wearing a uniform.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
            ME TOO! I wear a suit. Do you have the same problem with the keys etc "eating" the lining of the jackets? I always carry my walkie-talkie in my hand parially due to the weight of not having a duty belt & partially because I strongly believe in visable deterancee which is not obvious when you are not wearing a uniform.
            Absolutely on the keys! I wear a plastic type of badge thing in my jacket pocket and my normal badge on my belt, so that gives me the visible deterent I believe, we have 3 diffferent types of radios (hand me downs from other depts lol) and only a couple have short attennaes that are comfortable under the jacket. The ones with longer attennaes I tend to carry in my hand.

Comment

Jon,
              You should carry your OC on your strong side, since it is your 1st & really only defense tool. Your cuffs should be on the side you use to normally cuff with...most guys who cuff alot, tend to cuff with the weak hand, using the strong hand to secure the hands/fingers of the arrested person. You should be carrying some sort of white light, such as a surefire, etc. even if you work day shift, unless your employer absolutley wont let you. your illumination tool would work best placed on the weak side, again, so that your strong side / weapon side is always available. When you work armed, this will become even more important and lends itself to low light shooting automatically.
              Radios & cell phones sit best towards the front, about mid way between front pants pocket & the center of the pants for weight reasons, but large radios will dig into you or climb with the belt upwards, if your seated alot.
              Be cautious of getting things positioned around your back, its not only hard on the back, but dangerous for several reasons, should you ever get in a position, where your pushed or pinned down on your back.
              Balance is important if your wearing a rig all day, side to side.
              Hope this helps.
              Yoda
              Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X