X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by Investigation
    Many states, such as Washington, restrict the use of the center State seal. Here only commissioned law enforcement officers or persons employed directly by State agencies (corrections, State Security Officers, Inspectors) can use them. What are the laws in other states?
    Uh... can you show me which RCW, WAC, or AGO says security can't use the state seal? I'm pretty sure in Washington anyone can use it. The private security RCW says nothing about using the state seal, all it says is you cant use any law enforcement emblems, which the seal is not.

RCW 43.04.050
    Use of state seal — Prohibitions — Imitations.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in RCW 43.04.040, the state seal shall not be used on or in connection with any advertising or promotion for any product, business, organization, service, or article whether offered for sale for profit or offered without charge. [I guess it could apply here, but I doubt it]
    (2) The state seal shall never be used in a political campaign to assist or defeat any candidate for elective office.

(3) It is a violation of this chapter to use any symbol that imitates the seal or that is deceptively similar in appearance to the seal, in any manner that would be an improper use of the official seal itself.

(4) Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the reproduction of the state seal for illustrative purposes by the news media if the reproduction by the news media is incidental to the publication or the broadcast. Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit a characterization of the state seal from being used in political cartoons.

-------

RCW 18.170.160
    Licenses required — Use of public law enforcement insignia prohibited — Penalties — Enforcement.

(1) After June 30, 1992, any person who performs the functions and duties of a private security guard in this state without being licensed in accordance with this chapter, or any person presenting or attempting to use as his or her own the license of another, or any person who gives false or forged evidence of any kind to the director in obtaining a license, or any person who falsely impersonates any other licensee, or any person who attempts to use an expired or revoked license, or any person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

(2) After January 1, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she owns or operates a private security company in this state without first obtaining a private security company license.

(3) After June 30, 1992, the owner or qualifying agent of a private security company is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she employs an unlicensed person to perform the duties of a private security guard without issuing the employee a valid temporary registration card if the employee does not have in his or her possession a permanent private security guard license issued by the department. This subsection does not preclude a private security company from requiring applicants to attend preassignment training classes or from paying wages for attending the required preassignment training classes.

(4) After June 30, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she performs the functions and duties of an armed private security guard in this state unless the person holds a valid armed private security guard license issued by the department.

(5) After June 30, 1992, it is a gross misdemeanor for a private security company to hire, contract with, or otherwise engage the services of an unlicensed armed private security guard knowing that he or she does not have a valid armed private security guard license issued by the director.

(6) It is a gross misdemeanor for a person to possess or use any vehicle or equipment displaying the word "police" or "law enforcement officer" or having any sign, shield, marking, accessory, or insignia that indicates that the equipment or vehicle belongs to a public law enforcement agency.

(7) It is a gross misdemeanor for any person who performs the functions and duties of a private security guard to use any name that includes the word "police" or "law enforcement" or that portrays the individual or a business as a public law enforcement agency.

(8) It is the duty of all officers of the state and political subdivisions thereof to enforce the provisions of this chapter. The attorney general shall act as legal adviser of the director, and render such legal assistance as may be necessary in carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
    -------
    Nothing in there about using the state seal... I think In WA you can use it on a badge. If not, theres a lot of companies in trouble cause Ive seen lots of companies around using WA Seals.
    Last edited by Lawson; 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    Davis 002

You ahev a pretty sharp model. I have always been a fan of the "metro" style badges.. Reminds me of LA!

Leave a comment:

• Investigation
    replied
    Badges

Many states, such as Washington, restrict the use of the center State seal. Here only commissioned law enforcement officers or persons employed directly by State agencies (corrections, State Security Officers, Inspectors) can use them. What are the laws in other states?

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    That's mine... Designed and Purchased through Symbol Arts. They are expensive, but worth it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FDG06
    replied
    BHR..I like the looks of that, similar to Tacoma PD

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    We are not issued a badge, but some have purchased their own, I am considering this...

Leave a comment:

• ACP01
    replied
    Mine looks like Mall Directors just differant wording.

Leave a comment:

• Special Investigator
    replied
    While I'm acting as a private investigator I'm not allowed to use a badge, shield or star but when I am in uniform I wear a 7-point star.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I don't wear it, but I have a Smith and Warren M262A Series in Rhodium. Much like a "Geek Squad" badge, its mainly used as gimmick - since Cityscape Solutions is a Technical Security company, we have "Technical Security Agents." Sound familiar?

I will say this: I've had on-site clients comment that they like the idea we carry credential cases with badges. After all, when part of the remedies you scream is "Be sure of who your vendors are," its nice that they're checking them.

NAPSOA PSG uses generic badges for now, and will eventually use a semi-custom designed badge that does NOT look like Davis002's (hehehe) from SymbolArts. I have to decide which client of mine gets the referral, though.

I say "eventually" because those die fees are expensive, and part of the "semi-custom" is a custom center seal.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    Wackenhut has a custom one, I'm sure we've all seen it lol

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    Well, as close as it is, until i can take a picture of mine..

This is about what mine is based on, it differs from my staff, as mine indicates my position, but theirs are based the same with different titles:

Not exact, but close!
    Last edited by Mall Director; 11-16-2006, 02:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Special Investigator
    started a topic Badges, Shields & Stars

Badges, Shields & Stars

Those of you who wear some type of badge, shield or star, what type/style of badge do you wear?

Feel free to post a pic if ya like.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X