Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badges, Shields & Stars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Badges, Shields & Stars



    Those of you who wear some type of badge, shield or star, what type/style of badge do you wear?

    Feel free to post a pic if ya like.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

    ~~George Orwell.

  • #2
    Well, as close as it is, until i can take a picture of mine..

    This is about what mine is based on, it differs from my staff, as mine indicates my position, but theirs are based the same with different titles:



    Not exact, but close!
    Last edited by Mall Director; 11-16-2006, 02:37 AM.
    Deputy Sheriff

    Comment


    • #3
      Wackenhut has a custom one, I'm sure we've all seen it lol

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't wear it, but I have a Smith and Warren M262A Series in Rhodium. Much like a "Geek Squad" badge, its mainly used as gimmick - since Cityscape Solutions is a Technical Security company, we have "Technical Security Agents." Sound familiar?

        I will say this: I've had on-site clients comment that they like the idea we carry credential cases with badges. After all, when part of the remedies you scream is "Be sure of who your vendors are," its nice that they're checking them.

        NAPSOA PSG uses generic badges for now, and will eventually use a semi-custom designed badge that does NOT look like Davis002's (hehehe) from SymbolArts. I have to decide which client of mine gets the referral, though.

        I say "eventually" because those die fees are expensive, and part of the "semi-custom" is a custom center seal.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #5
          While I'm acting as a private investigator I'm not allowed to use a badge, shield or star but when I am in uniform I wear a 7-point star.

          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

          ~~George Orwell.

          Comment


          • #6
            Mine looks like Mall Directors just differant wording.

            Comment


            • #7
              We are not issued a badge, but some have purchased their own, I am considering this...

              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

              Comment


              • #8
                BHR..I like the looks of that, similar to Tacoma PD
                Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's mine... Designed and Purchased through Symbol Arts. They are expensive, but worth it.
                  Attached Files
                  "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Badges

                    Many states, such as Washington, restrict the use of the center State seal. Here only commissioned law enforcement officers or persons employed directly by State agencies (corrections, State Security Officers, Inspectors) can use them. What are the laws in other states?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Davis 002

                      You ahev a pretty sharp model. I have always been a fan of the "metro" style badges.. Reminds me of LA!
                      Deputy Sheriff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Investigation
                        Many states, such as Washington, restrict the use of the center State seal. Here only commissioned law enforcement officers or persons employed directly by State agencies (corrections, State Security Officers, Inspectors) can use them. What are the laws in other states?
                        Uh... can you show me which RCW, WAC, or AGO says security can't use the state seal? I'm pretty sure in Washington anyone can use it. The private security RCW says nothing about using the state seal, all it says is you cant use any law enforcement emblems, which the seal is not.

                        RCW 43.04.050
                        Use of state seal — Prohibitions — Imitations.

                        (1) Except as otherwise provided in RCW 43.04.040, the state seal shall not be used on or in connection with any advertising or promotion for any product, business, organization, service, or article whether offered for sale for profit or offered without charge. [I guess it could apply here, but I doubt it]
                        (2) The state seal shall never be used in a political campaign to assist or defeat any candidate for elective office.

                        (3) It is a violation of this chapter to use any symbol that imitates the seal or that is deceptively similar in appearance to the seal, in any manner that would be an improper use of the official seal itself.

                        (4) Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the reproduction of the state seal for illustrative purposes by the news media if the reproduction by the news media is incidental to the publication or the broadcast. Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit a characterization of the state seal from being used in political cartoons.

                        -------

                        RCW 18.170.160
                        Licenses required — Use of public law enforcement insignia prohibited — Penalties — Enforcement.

                        (1) After June 30, 1992, any person who performs the functions and duties of a private security guard in this state without being licensed in accordance with this chapter, or any person presenting or attempting to use as his or her own the license of another, or any person who gives false or forged evidence of any kind to the director in obtaining a license, or any person who falsely impersonates any other licensee, or any person who attempts to use an expired or revoked license, or any person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

                        (2) After January 1, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she owns or operates a private security company in this state without first obtaining a private security company license.

                        (3) After June 30, 1992, the owner or qualifying agent of a private security company is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she employs an unlicensed person to perform the duties of a private security guard without issuing the employee a valid temporary registration card if the employee does not have in his or her possession a permanent private security guard license issued by the department. This subsection does not preclude a private security company from requiring applicants to attend preassignment training classes or from paying wages for attending the required preassignment training classes.

                        (4) After June 30, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she performs the functions and duties of an armed private security guard in this state unless the person holds a valid armed private security guard license issued by the department.

                        (5) After June 30, 1992, it is a gross misdemeanor for a private security company to hire, contract with, or otherwise engage the services of an unlicensed armed private security guard knowing that he or she does not have a valid armed private security guard license issued by the director.

                        (6) It is a gross misdemeanor for a person to possess or use any vehicle or equipment displaying the word "police" or "law enforcement officer" or having any sign, shield, marking, accessory, or insignia that indicates that the equipment or vehicle belongs to a public law enforcement agency.

                        (7) It is a gross misdemeanor for any person who performs the functions and duties of a private security guard to use any name that includes the word "police" or "law enforcement" or that portrays the individual or a business as a public law enforcement agency.

                        (8) It is the duty of all officers of the state and political subdivisions thereof to enforce the provisions of this chapter. The attorney general shall act as legal adviser of the director, and render such legal assistance as may be necessary in carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
                        -------
                        Nothing in there about using the state seal... I think In WA you can use it on a badge. If not, theres a lot of companies in trouble cause Ive seen lots of companies around using WA Seals.
                        Last edited by Lawson; 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by davis002
                          That's mine... Designed and Purchased through Symbol Arts. They are expensive, but worth it.
                          Thats actually the design I wanted... but I couldnt find it. I wanted the 7point star since we are a county affiliated agency and our County Corrections and Sheriff's Deputies wear 7 point stars, however, being in the facility I am, I feel a star being ripped from my belt can easily become a weapon, so Im opting for the shield with a star on it.
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Heres florida's law against using the state seal

                            493.6124 Use of state seal; prohibited.--No person or licensee shall use any facsimile reproduction or pictorial portion of the Great seal of the state of Florida on any badge, credentials, identification card, or other means of identification used in connection with any activities regulated under this chapter.
                            "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Center Seal

                              Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                              Uh... can you show me which RCW, WAC, or AGO says security can't use the state seal? I'm pretty sure in Washington anyone can use it. The private security RCW says nothing about using the state seal, all it says is you cant use any law enforcement emblems, which the seal is not.

                              RCW 43.04.050
                              Use of state seal — Prohibitions — Imitations.

                              (1) Except as otherwise provided in RCW 43.04.040, the state seal shall not be used on or in connection with any advertising or promotion for any product, business, organization, service, or article whether offered for sale for profit or offered without charge. [I guess it could apply here, but I doubt it]
                              (2) The state seal shall never be used in a political campaign to assist or defeat any candidate for elective office.

                              (3) It is a violation of this chapter to use any symbol that imitates the seal or that is deceptively similar in appearance to the seal, in any manner that would be an improper use of the official seal itself.

                              (4) Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the reproduction of the state seal for illustrative purposes by the news media if the reproduction by the news media is incidental to the publication or the broadcast. Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit a characterization of the state seal from being used in political cartoons.

                              -------

                              RCW 18.170.160
                              Licenses required — Use of public law enforcement insignia prohibited — Penalties — Enforcement.

                              (1) After June 30, 1992, any person who performs the functions and duties of a private security guard in this state without being licensed in accordance with this chapter, or any person presenting or attempting to use as his or her own the license of another, or any person who gives false or forged evidence of any kind to the director in obtaining a license, or any person who falsely impersonates any other licensee, or any person who attempts to use an expired or revoked license, or any person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

                              (2) After January 1, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she owns or operates a private security company in this state without first obtaining a private security company license.

                              (3) After June 30, 1992, the owner or qualifying agent of a private security company is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she employs an unlicensed person to perform the duties of a private security guard without issuing the employee a valid temporary registration card if the employee does not have in his or her possession a permanent private security guard license issued by the department. This subsection does not preclude a private security company from requiring applicants to attend preassignment training classes or from paying wages for attending the required preassignment training classes.

                              (4) After June 30, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she performs the functions and duties of an armed private security guard in this state unless the person holds a valid armed private security guard license issued by the department.

                              (5) After June 30, 1992, it is a gross misdemeanor for a private security company to hire, contract with, or otherwise engage the services of an unlicensed armed private security guard knowing that he or she does not have a valid armed private security guard license issued by the director.

                              (6) It is a gross misdemeanor for a person to possess or use any vehicle or equipment displaying the word "police" or "law enforcement officer" or having any sign, shield, marking, accessory, or insignia that indicates that the equipment or vehicle belongs to a public law enforcement agency.

                              (7) It is a gross misdemeanor for any person who performs the functions and duties of a private security guard to use any name that includes the word "police" or "law enforcement" or that portrays the individual or a business as a public law enforcement agency.

                              (8) It is the duty of all officers of the state and political subdivisions thereof to enforce the provisions of this chapter. The attorney general shall act as legal adviser of the director, and render such legal assistance as may be necessary in carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
                              -------
                              Nothing in there about using the state seal... I think In WA you can use it on a badge. If not, theres a lot of companies in trouble cause Ive seen lots of companies around using WA Seals.

                              Right, if you work for a private business (e.g. private security) and you are using the official State seal in conjunction with your job, then it would appear that you are representing the State in some official capacity or that you derive your powers from the State. It would be prudent to stay away from the State seal and avoid possible impersonation issues with law enforcement (especially if you purchase your own badge). Sure, you may see other companies use the seal, but that does not make it legal. Tell me who they are and maybe I can address it with the powers at be.
                              Last edited by Investigation; 11-18-2006, 05:02 AM.

                              Comment

                              300x250

                              Collapse

                              Mid 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Super Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X