Scanner radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Security,

Are you sure GMRS radios requires licenses. They never did up here. I remember when CBs did but that was scrapped a long time ago. (About the time they went from 23 channels to 40). Is CB still active? I can listen to them on my scanner but don't. The few times I have monitored the frequencies nobody was talking.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by hisownhero
      What would you need a police scanner for?
      I'm a disaster volunteer for the local American Red Cross chapter. I like to keep track of what's going on in the area during storms and emergencies.

I have a Uniden Bearcat desktop model at home. It's just a basic 10-channel scanner. To my knowledge the local authorities aren't switching to digital or trunking in the near future. Wouldn't hurt to ask around though.
      Last edited by wvd1979; 10-20-2006, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
        Are you sure GMRS radios requires licenses.
        I bought a half-dozen Motorola FRS/GMRS radios a year ago for use at a special event. Circuit City marked them down from $130 to $20 per pair!!! I thought, why not?! I figured out why they marked them down... Hidden inside the packaging was a little slip of paper that basically said that if you intend to use the GMRS channels, you need an FCC license.

I did some research, and found that it was in fact true. To use a GMRS radio, you need an FCC license. The cost? $80 per radio every 5 years.
        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

It usually says it on the back of the package.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
            Connecticut can be conservative on many issues
            HAHAHA! CT is one of the most liberal states in the US.

Comment

Mr. Security,

Are you sure GMRS radios requires licenses. They never did up here. I remember when CBs did but that was scrapped a long time ago. (About the time they went from 23 channels to 40). Is CB still active? I can listen to them on my scanner but don't. The few times I have monitored the frequencies nobody was talking.
              They require an FCC license, if you're not in the US the FCC has no say in what you do with your radios. There may be some Canadian communications authority, but I have no idea if there is or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                They require an FCC license, if you're not in the US the FCC has no say in what you do with your radios. There may be some Canadian communications authority, but I have no idea if there is or not.
                The Canadian = to the FCC is called INDUSTRY CANADA.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                  HAHAHA! CT is one of the most liberal states in the US.
                  Then why are we wearing square badges?
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

The Canadian = to the FCC is called INDUSTRY CANADA.
                    Canada is not subject to FCC jurisdiction, as was pointed out. What INDUSTRY CANADA requires for GMRS is another matter. CB's no longer require a license in the USA. Try listening to channel 19 for some action. Truckers seem to like it for some reason.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
                      To use a GMRS radio, you need an FCC license. The cost? $80 per radio every 5 years.
                      To operate GMRS in the USofA the user must possess a GMRS License. As you stated the 5 year license is $80 but it is not per radio. The license covers the primary license holder and his immediate family/household. If you get a license, you, your wife and kids all operate under that one license.
                      While the idea of paying for a license to use the cheap toy-like "bubble pack" radios may seem extreme, be advised that the GMRS service is much more than this. The GMRS license allows you to use commercial grade, professional handheld, mobile and base radios capable of 5 watts (portable) and 50 watts (mobile or base). Also GMRS, like commercial, public safety and ham radio, allows the use of repeater stations which greatly increase the range of portables and mobiles.
                      There is an excellant website for discussing FRS, GMRS and other private radio services. Go to http://www.popularwireless.com/ to find out more or check out the forums there at http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi .
                      Steve
                      Ham and GMRS license.
                      Scanner hobbiest.
                      Moderator of the Scan Baton Rouge Yahoo Group.
                      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Wouldn't that prove the point?

Comment

Because your state is infested with liberals like yourself.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X