Looking to update flashlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to update flashlight

I carry a 3 Cell Maglite. I like it its okay. Its also good if i have to use it for defense. However i want a light that has more candle power. Can any of you make any suggestions ? Im looking for a good candlepower light and also with a good price.

Stay Safe All

I think if your looking for a real bright light with some distance too it, your going to have to spend the bucks. I have an LED 3 D Cell Maglite now which works ok. At work though, we were issued a 4 C Cell Streamlight with a halogen lamp. Its 3x's as bright as the Maglite and goes way further. I can fully illuminate an office on the 12th floor of the building from the ground level. They are pricey though in the $100+ range but its worth it in the long run. I believe they are a little more sturdy then my Maglite as well.

Originally posted by S/O245
    I carry a 3 Cell Maglite. I like it its okay. Its also good if i have to use it for defense. However i want a light that has more candle power. Can any of you make any suggestions ? Im looking for a good candlepower light and also with a good price.

Stay Safe All

Comment

the Streamlight Stinger line have pretty ghigh candle power the lowest candle power flashlight the have i believe is 15,000 candle power. Im looking at the 40,000 candle powerlight . they run betwenn 85-120 dollars.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Affordable & Bright

Check out a Scorpion. You can pick one up for about 40 bucks.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

If you want a flashlight for defense (Not saying that's what its for...) look at the Steamlight XL-20 - 40,000 CP and its about 17" long. (Don't quote me, I don't have a catalog in reach.)

Belt mounted light? Streamlight makes the Stinger XT, the Strion, the Scorpion... Surefire makes more lights than you can poke a stick at... Blackhawk/Insight makes some not-as-expensive lights...

All of em are bright at different levels.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The best I've carried ( & still do) is the Surefire M3 Combat w/ oversized shooting ring. Its too light to use as an improvised baton, buts its well crenulated for pressure point use if needed for such purposes, more importantly its several time over, brighter & whiter then any mag type light made. They are rated in actual Lumens, not candle power. The beam is hot enough to actually melt car paint with direct contact. They are designed as a white light tool. (temp blinding with involuntary eye shutter/closure)

The factory hard plastic duty belt holster rides the light high on the rig & locks the head of the light itself, so nothing swings at all & everything is at or above the belt line, making running, climbing, seating with your rig on, almost normal. ( I placed mine on my weak side hip, between mag carrier & the cuff case), so the light's body rode just under my arm, out of the way, but drawn out easy.

They arent cheap, about $400. when your all hooked up, but worth every penny. I got dept authorized, when I took my issued 4D-cell 'battered tree trunk" and my new M3 and put the spot beam on the wall at the same time & asked them which one they (the Capts & LT's) would want to carry, use or actually shoot low light with...my point was well made.
            Check em out if you can, highly recogmended!
            Yoda
            Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

Comment

I have my Inova T3 Tactical flashlight (LED) it went for about $ 180 it was worth the price, it can (not saying it should) be used as an impact tool, it is great as a control instrument for wrist locks, and is small enough that you can slide it in an asp pouch on your duty belt (or in your pocket) and not have it dangling like the Maglight.

stay safe
              Ben

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. And no the flashlight its not for self defense its 99 % for a good bright light lol, 1 % if i need to use it that way.

Stay Safe All

Comment

I have carried the Stinger for about 6 years and have been very happy with it. About 6 months ago I did the upgrade to 40,000 candlepower and it just made a good light better.
                  Whatever you get, if you use the light much, get rechargable. It will pay for itself.
                  I also have a Surefire E2E that is a great light but the batteries get real expensive if it is used much.
                  "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Check out Flashlight Reviews .

They helped me decide to dump my Mini-Mag and my 3D Mag (pretty handy though, like night-outdoor patrols, for example) and go with the Surefire 6P...or maybe Streamlight Scorpion LED. I won't decide until the second I have them both in my hand.

Both are about the same length as the Mini, but thicker. The 6P is one of the best in the world, and even brighter than a 3D Mag, not to mention that it's focussed, but it's expensive. The Scorpion LED doesn't have bulbs to burn out and is about half the price of the 6P, and not quite the same brightness as the 3D.

You might also consider Inova, which seems to be pretty popular with cops.

Mind you, none of these lights, with their shortness, will help much if you get into a melee. But if you are patrolling properly, they won't need to.

Rule #1 Go home at the end of the day with everything attached, and with peace of mind.

wjohnc
                    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
                      Check out Flashlight Reviews .

They helped me decide to dump my Mini-Mag and my 3D Mag (pretty handy though, like night-outdoor patrols, for example) and go with the Surefire 6P...or maybe Streamlight Scorpion LED. I won't decide until the second I have them both in my hand.

Both are about the same length as the Mini, but thicker. The 6P is one of the best in the world, and even brighter than a 3D Mag, not to mention that it's focussed, but it's expensive. The Scorpion LED doesn't have bulbs to burn out and is about half the price of the 6P, and not quite the same brightness as the 3D.

You might also consider Inova, which seems to be pretty popular with cops.

Mind you, none of these lights, with their shortness, will help much if you get into a melee. But if you are patrolling properly, they won't need to.

Rule #1 Go home at the end of the day with everything attached, and with peace of mind.

wjohnc
                      I like my 6 c-cell Mag-Lite for that very reason.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I used ot carry a Stinger on my belt, and a Maglite for when I needed a "weapon of opportunity."
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The Cobra Stunlight and the Tigerlight are viable options. They are plenty bright and of course have the built in spray option.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X