Item placement on your duty belt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Item placement on your duty belt!

Where do you guys prefer to keep certain items on your duty belt? Spray on the right or left? Cuffs on the back or front?

Originally posted by Thictly1979 View Post
    Where do you guys prefer to keep certain items on your duty belt? Spray on the right or left? Cuffs on the back or front?
    If your looking for a good guide for duty gear placement look up Bob Hindi who has been an innovator in police equipment and training methods. His duty belt system is one of the more thought out processes that I have seen for duty gear setups I have ever seen. While not perfect it could be adaptable to what you want it to be.

Being right handed and for a while I was thinking about going armed here is how I was going to set up my duty belt .

Starting at 12 o' clock and going clock wise , it was my multi-tool, mini mag light , pistol which took up from 12 to about 3 o'clock. Next would be my glove pouch at 6 o'clock Then at 9 o'clock would be my radio , my ASP , double cuff case,a MK3 sixed can of OC then a double mag pouch ( for double stacked mags ) then a key holder with handcuff key and a car key for what ever vehicle was being issued to me at the time. Ironically this was pretty much my set up minus the pistol where I would place the baton where the pistol was due to balance issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSCvWZNCRg
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

This was my old setup and I liked it very much.

I'm now with a new employer and working unarmed. And losing the baton. But I'll keep OC and Cuffs in the same spot so I don't disrupt muscle memory. I'll also be gaining a flashlight holder and a flat glove pouch. I suspect I'll keep the flashlight on the left side, so I don't get in the habit of drawing it with my strong hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolbelt 002 (800x572).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	221422

Comment

Now these day I have heard have nothing in the back because officers where getting lower back injuries . I have to cuff holders and I put the on the sides it may look funny but I have seen pictures of cops having there cuff on the side there duty belts.

Comment

Geez, I carry a lot on my belt.

I have a black leather basket weave belt.

So, let's see, starting from my right side, going clockwise.

Cell phone.

Drop cuffs. Yeah, my cuffs are the first thing in front. Honestly, it's more for show. I barely even use that pair, but they are nice looking and help me put up a bit of a front.

Mace. I carry Freeze+P, and I stand by that stuff. Always will.

Flashlight. Small affordable stinger. Nothing too flashy. (:P)

Multi-tool. Not a too common thing, but I carry it. It's come in handy more times than I can count.

First aid kit. Small one with basic items.

Glove pouch, which never holds enough gloves for the mountain of gloves you go through working in a hospital. Pockets usually will have plenty of gloves too.

Radio holster.

Second set of cuffs.

Taser.

Silenced key holder.

When I carry my baton it will go on my right side, next to the drop cuffs. I had a rotating sheathe so I could put it at an angle, less likely to stab myself in the side with it while driving, etc. Though I will admit I had the bad habit of using it as a arm rest while wandering around sometimes.

Comment

Here's what I'm carrying these days. I was required to switch over to basketweave. It's refreshing for a change, and I mostly work indoors, so it doesn't get too scuffed up.

Counterclockwise:
            -Streamlight Scorpion HL
            -Motorola radio (company issued)
            -Gloves and gauze
            -H&H Tourni-Kwik TK4 tourniquet
            -Sabre Red OC
            -Peerless 801 hinged cuffs x2

My pockets are sparse to minimize bulge.
            Rear left: Streamlight ProTac2L backup light
            Rear right: Benchmade Presidio knife, lightweight leather gloves

Comment

Haven't worn my duty belt for some time, but it was an Uncle Mike's nylon belt. Currently I just wear a regular belt with my Leatherman Rebar on my right hip, Nitrile gloves in a pouch over my back pocket in the event I don't meet my patient in the Aid Station. Radio is clipped to my hip pocket when I go out, notepad and ID cards are in the breast pocket on my shirt along with the company Blackberry (about as user-friendly as lead water wings, IMO) x2 AA MiniMaglite strapped to hardhat in a Nite-Ize rig.

Being that I work on a Minesite, my uniform is high-viz orange pants/shirt with 3" reflective trim. Basically a highway worker uniform with security insignia on it. Comfy, but I miss my Blues...
              World's Youngest Grumpy Old Man

AF&AM

Opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer, the client, or SIW Forums (unless specifically stated for moderation purposes)

Comment

Originally posted by UnsupervisedCanadian View Post
                Haven't worn my duty belt for some time, but it was an Uncle Mike's nylon belt. Currently I just wear a regular belt with my Leatherman Rebar on my right hip, Nitrile gloves in a pouch over my back pocket in the event I don't meet my patient in the Aid Station. Radio is clipped to my hip pocket when I go out, notepad and ID cards are in the breast pocket on my shirt along with the company Blackberry (about as user-friendly as lead water wings, IMO) x2 AA MiniMaglite strapped to hardhat in a Nite-Ize rig.

Being that I work on a Minesite, my uniform is high-viz orange pants/shirt with 3" reflective trim. Basically a highway worker uniform with security insignia on it. Comfy, but I miss my Blues...
                One of my go to belts for a limited amount of gear is an uncle Mike's riggers belt. This belt is stiffer then most regular belts and supports easily a knife a pistol a single mag and a radio with no problems at all. Anything more and I would want a duty belt to carry it all.
                Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Here's my Safariland STX rig. Note that it does not follow the basketweave pattern because I'm not a cop, and I'm not pretending to be one. It basically follows the Bob Hindi concept in that every tool has to be accessible by both hands. The most difficult to reach is the pistol because unlocking a Safariland level III holster and drawing handgun from the opposite side, with the non-dominant hand is quite difficult, though not impossible.

I think having more than one set of handcuffs on a security officers belt is laughable. If we make an arrest, they are citizen's arrests with no more validity than one made by intrepid Joe Citizen.

Being that gung-ho is just plain stupid anyway. If you want to play LEO, then get into cosplay, or whatever. The definition of our job is to OBSERVE AND REPORT. All the gear is just preventative nearly all the time. Even the half-done officers from my employer that have been shot at, shot, out stabbed, only had that happen because they tried playing hero. Homies don't play that way in Compton (not a joke: most of the instances in the last 2 years occurred on one of our posts at a rail station in Compton).

Anyway, be a security officer, not a hero. If you think an activity needs to be stopped, remember to put on your balls before you put on your belt, and remember that you have a voice and a flashlight (if you work graveyard shift). If you're assertive but polite, you're almost always get a positive response.
                  Last edited by navamanas; 02-02-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Right here is my belt. Key ring, handcuff case with handcuffs, flashlight holder with Fenix pd35 flashlight, cell phone case, handcuff case with 5 pairs of nitrile gloves, glove pouch with two pairs of gloves. I do not use belt keepers because my belt stays in place without them. The reason I have 7 pairs of disposable nitrile glove is I’ll probably use them more than anything else.
                    Last edited by fortsmithman; 02-02-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by navamanas View Post
                      I think having more than one set of handcuffs on a security officers belt is laughable.
                      AUS issues 2 sets of handcuffs SPECIFICALLY in case you have to handcuff someone who is too big for one set of cuffs.

I carry what my employer issues regardless of my opinion about it either way.

Comment

This is the duty belt I used with G4S. I split my equipment into Right hand things and Left hand things. NOTHING went in the back in case I got knocked on my ass.

I clipped my light (Fenix UC35) to the left shoulder of the vest with the lanyard on a caribiner so I could drop it if I had to. My radio mike also went on my left shoulder. My handcuffs were in the Left vest pocket accessible to either hand.

I put MY phone in the lower vest pocket where I could use it as a body cam if needed and THEIR phone and literally the keys to the city in my right cargo pocket. In my left cargo pocket I had my barrier device and gloves. (and my handkerchief)

On my belt starting at 9 o' clock I had my Buck knife, my Multitool with my spare magazines at 11 accessible to either hand. From 12 to 3 was my OC and my gun (S&W M&P 40).

The Idea was that I was never going to have my gun and my handcuffs or my OC in my hand at the same time or I could grab my OC with my right hand while I was calling in on my radio with my left.
                        Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 02-02-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

My employer requires us to carry two sets of handcuffs for the reason cited by Ingio. I carry one case on my weak side (we rarely use them) and one on the back (can access with either hand). I also carry a small first aid pouch in back that I can reach with either hand.

I understand the objection to "wanna be" guards that carry more stuff on their belt than Batman, but it depends on the site and what you're doing day to day. Stuff that I use all the time (keys, gloves) tend to go up front. Stuff that I use occasionally or is not mission critical (small Swiss army knife w/ screwdrivers on it, hex keys) go in my BDU pockets.

Since I don't carry a weapon I carry my flashlight on the strong side along with my glove pouch. I carry a mix of medical grade gloves & cheap rubber gloves for medical emergencies and picking up all the crap homeless people leave behind constantly that I have to move or dispose of.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

AUS issues 2 sets of handcuffs SPECIFICALLY in case you have to handcuff someone who is too big for one set of cuffs.

I carry what my employer issues regardless of my opinion about it either way.
                            Yeah, most reputable PPO's will have some type of requirement based in the needs of their clients. Usually there's a list of what's required and what's not allowed. The rest is extra.

My employer issues all the gear (including weapons) unless you own your own gear - in which case, it still needs to be inspected by the employer.

In my case, I own all of my gear. I think about a third of the officers in my outfit do. But I own more than just in the photo that I included, just in case I pull an extra gig with another company on my spare time, our if I go to work for another employer. In that case, having pistols or rifles in several calibers, owning several handcuffs with multiple varieties (chain vs hinged), several differently sized flashlights, different holsters, expandable batons vs PR-24...

But aside from fulfilling requirements, I'll probably never use any of the gear that I carry on anyone. So far, I've found every person to be perfectly reasonable as long as I'm polite, yet assertive and professional. All of my time in security has been at night. The majority of my encounters have been been some strung-out drug addict, although a handful of times I've dealt with groups of four our five people - occasionally more.

Because I spent some years in retail, I've learned that regardless of what job you work, customer service is first. As with any job, security has multiple customers to please in every encounter: the person that you're dealing with at the moment, your employer, anyone who may be aware of your interaction, and the law.

Part of customer service directed at the individuals that we encounter is to bring them to an understanding that the heightened security is for their own protection. Becoming a contentious dick that's looking for a fight is not good security. A good security officer will never have to lay their hands on anyone. Observe and report. Keep your hands clean.

Comment

Originally posted by navamanas View Post
                              A good security officer will never have to lay their hands on anyone.
                              I'm not going to say it's painfully obvious you haven't been in this industry very long, but...
                              A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X