Duty Belt Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ValleyOne
    I want to know why and yet at the same time I don't want to know why...
    Search the archives, we've been over this before.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Hey

Originally posted by Mall Director
      A quick comment about that.. I find that almost all of my senior officers push all their gear to their backsides, leaving the front of their belts unused.. I found this very interesting and inquired..

I was told they dont like people knowing they have all of these tools in which it surprises the subject.. I found it very interesting, and then for giggles threatened to get more gear for them to wear and use since htey have all that open room up front... Oooo, the looks I got, LOL!
      What little bit of gear I have usually is on my sides, closer to the front then the back thpugh. But I have seen other officers here push everything to the back.

Comment

They'll learn when their backs give out that gear should be placed up front... Or the first time they fall on their rear end and jam all that gear into their back.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Right side of my belt from front to back.....

Latex glove pouch, Surefire 6P flashlight, Buck multitool, Peerless handcuffs

Left side of belt, front to back....

Keys, phone, and radio

Comment

I've found that Duty Belts are basically a pain in the a$$. We're issued duty gear including the belt. We are issued a radio with a holster, a flash-light/case, a glove pouch, an H2 Monitor {I'm on a Refinery and toxic gases are everywhere the meter is bascially a portable personal detector}, an alpha numeric pager, cell phone and a key ring for the 20 or so keys that are on our duty ring.

A few of the officers added thier own personal equipment, which is allowed, and made thier duty belts look worse than some police officers.

I'm in Black Nomex Cover-Alls {B.D.U. Style Department issued with the all the emblems and stuff - Two Piece uniforms coming in soon} I have the velcro Duty Belt that I'll wear but only attatch the Pager and H2 Monitor to it along with my Personal Cell Phone, and LED Flash-Light - My radio has a belt clip and I put it on if I'm outside the truck. The company Cell Phone and Obnoxious Key Ring end up in the Truck Console and come out when I have to open something or call someone not already in my personal phone. - I wear nothing in the small of my back - especially driving 8 to 10 hours of a 12 hour shift. - Gear in pouches on the small of the back is just plain uncomfortable - Thank-God we don't wear cuffs or have side arms.....not yet{those are coming soon.}

I did the whole duty belt get up when I first Started with the pouches, keys, radios, clips, and stuff and found I had more pain in my lower back. By down-sizing and only carrying what I really need the pains went away.

Comment

I have to carry a baton, two pairs of cuffs and a flashlight, along with my cell phone. The radio and the keys are picked up daily at the office. oh, i almost forgot about the gloves. The only thing that I finds that hurts is when my baton end jams me in the side.
              Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

I don't understand why officers would carry more than 1 set of metalic handcuffs, dont get me wrong you need handcuffs but not more than 1 and if you do, why not get flexicuffs? the plastic handcuffs and if you do get handcuffs the metalic sort, make sure their double hindged handcuffs...

Comment

Originally posted by Central
                  I don't understand why officers would carry more than 1 set of metalic handcuffs, dont get me wrong you need handcuffs but not more than 1 and if you do, why not get flexicuffs? the plastic handcuffs and if you do get handcuffs the metalic sort, make sure their double hindged handcuffs...

I carry 2 sets fir a few reasons. First off is if i have to handcuff a bigger person i am able to and dont have to wait for back up. Second is if i need to arrest two people at once i can.
                  Robert
                  Here endith the lesson

Comment

The thing with most departments is that they do not want officers to use flex cuffs because you cannot double lock them and they have a higher tendancy to cause nerve damage. My last department only allowed the use of metallic cuffs.
                    Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

hmm didnt realise flexicuffs could cause nerve damage, well whats your favourite metalic handcuffs? Double hindged or double lock.

Comment

Changed my set up due to adding the taser

From the buckle clockwise(all gear is accumold):
                        Double Cuff puch (with Peerles cuffs)
                        MK3 Spray holster ( with First defense)
                        Safariland SS III holster ( with Glock 19)
                        Gerber Tool
                        Glove case
                        Sure fire tactical light
                        Radio holder
                        Baton
                        Taser X-26 (when i get it ) Now the slot for my M-26 drop holster
                        Magazine case (2 Glock 19 15 Rds)
                        Robert
                        Here endith the lesson

Comment

For the most part security does not need more then one pair of cuffs, but there are plenty who really do need it. Loss prevention with multiple subjects and backup possibly isn't quite there yet, apt security where the possibility of encountering multiple subjects who are getting arrested is pretty high, etc. Also if you have to arrest an overweight subject, try getting a fat person's arms close enough to use just one pair of cuffs.

I personally carry one pair of chain on the front of my belt for primary and a pair of asp hinged on the left side of my belt between my spray and my flashlight holder. The chain are really good for resisting subjects and women who have smaller wrists, women can easily get out of hinged cuffs because of the way they are made. the hinged are good for men, and subjects who you do not want to have much range of motion after being cuffed. Plus if you get one cuff on with hinged and they start resisting, just twist the cuffs so the one already on will dig into the wrist and you will gain complaince.

I have had multiple times where I needed both pairs when working at a convience store in the ghetto, would have one subject in custody for shoplifting waiting for PD, and actually have a secondary subject attempt to shoplift and I needed the second pair to cuff him. Had a couple fat subjects who needed both, never want the subject to be in pain if an LEO who doesn't like you shows up, also when working at apt complexes I have had to arrest multiple subjects for drug possession/sale, vehicle burglary, possession of stolen property(cars), etc. In certain working conditions it would be unwise not to carry multiple pairs.

If concerned with belt space or cost just get a double cuff case which can usually hold either hinged or chain cuffs, and metallic pairs can usually be bought for around 30 bucks, business stuff is tax deductable anyways.

Now on to the whole flexcuff thing. For the most part LEO's don't even use them unless they are expecting to encounter lots of subjects such as in a riot situation or a search warrent where there will be multiple subjects. The only reason they are used is to be able to get lots of people restrained without having to carry 3-4 or even 5 pairs of cuffs which would weigh the officer down and most likely they would not have the belt space for that many. Most of the time after the subjects are under control they switch them to metal cuffs because flexcuffs are PLASTIC and no matter how strong can be cut or broken easily. Like another poster said they can do damage to the subject which is never good when you will be liable, along with your company, if and when someone sues. Personally my company has a policy against them. Also like another poster said they can not be doube locked, if you pull them too far you can cut off circulation to the hands which can cause problems if you don't realize this, if you do you must cut them off and put on new ones which can be a pain in most situations. Also from the asp flexcuffs I have tried they take a long time to prepare and then put on the subject, the objective of metallic handcuff design is for quick restraint. With the asp flexcuffs you first had to unfold them which takes time, then push the ends a little bit through the locking system so once you actually slip them on the subjects wrists you have something to grab on to in order to pull the bands the rest of the way through the locking mechanism, all in all entirely too long even with a complaint subject. Good luck if have a resisting subject because your screwed.

Sorry for the long post. I am bored.

Comment

hmm didnt realise flexicuffs could cause nerve damage, well whats your favourite metalic handcuffs? Double hindged or double lock.
                            sorry for another post in a row but just saw this. All metal pairs should have a double locking mechanism. If they don't then they are cheap and you should avoid them. double locking is a safety mechanism which is enabled so the subject in custody does not push on the cuffs closing them more possibly crushing their wrists. Just makes it so they won't move in either direction, also making it so there is usually one extra step in unlocking them. Hinged and chained have their pluses and minuses which I listed a few of them in my post just before this one. When in doubt just get a nice pair of hiatt, smith and wesson, or peerless hinged, they will do the job just fine. and always double locked to cover your ass. yes hinged doesn't allow very much movement but how many times are you going to run into a subject who tries to use a key to unlock them or is attempting to get rid of stuff in their pockets?

Comment

My first pair of cuffs I bought were "Detective Romo's" - that was all I could afford at the time. Very early 70's and brought home $870 a month. I still have them - look for them on the Antiques Road Show. I still have my first Safariland duty belt.
                              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I think he's asking, "Hinged" or "Linked" cuffs.

I have always carried two sets. In most situations that security on residential properties arrests/detains people for, there are at least two people. (Fights, disorderly, domestic violence, burglary, etc...)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X