No announcement yet.

Duty Belt Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick comment about that.. I find that almost all of my senior officers push all their gear to their backsides, leaving the front of their belts unused.. I found this very interesting and inquired..

I was told they dont like people knowing they have all of these tools in which it surprises the subject.. I found it very interesting, and then for giggles threatened to get more gear for them to wear and use since htey have all that open room up front... Oooo, the looks I got, LOL!
    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

We were taught to put everything up front for ergonomics. In case of a fall, you don't have equipment digging into your back, or worse, your spine.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Nicely articulated.. I think I will try that next! LOL!
        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
          I personnaly carry a bikini style cuff case by Kinsco, but its a local brand and not brand name.. It ran me about $12. It is a single however, as I wear business attire..

My officers wear Duty Pro, which bites! The cuff cases are described as "single" but you can fit two sets in them. So they opt to wear four sets, as it is cheaper. I try to push them towards Bianchi, as the MK4 holders are aces and I require those. They do the nylon as it doesnt weigh as much.

As I stated before, Duty Pro makes gear cheaper, but it shows. I have never seen a nylon belt pill up before. And I dont like the lack of "accumold" this design has, as there is none, LOL. One peice at a time I am getting them to replace it out. I also like Biachi's silent key keepers. I never had one break yet!
          4 sets? I worked at a mall and carried only one set. I worked at a pretty "rough" mall, as far as malls go and never needed more than one set. What's your logic in justifying the expense of 4 sets of cuffs for each officer?

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            We were taught to put everything up front for ergonomics. In case of a fall, you don't have equipment digging into your back, or worse, your spine.
            Depending on your waist size, that might not be possible. I know a police department that carries the following: 2 cuff cases, latex glove pouch, sidearm, double mag case, microphone transmitter, OC spray, X26 and an ASP baton. Unless you've got like a 42" waist or more, you're going to have trouble not putting anything in the back. Not to mention that their SOP states the cuffs and latex glove pouch must be in the small of the back.
            Last edited by Jackhole; 09-25-2006, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
              4 sets? I worked at a mall and carried only one set. I worked at a pretty "rough" mall, as far as malls go and never needed more than one set. What's your logic in justifying the expense of 4 sets of cuffs for each officer?
              We have a ton of Surenio', Nortenio', San Juan, 34 street, and ESL trouble makers. Typically when we are called onto the scene of an incident, or to assist other agencies, the amount of people we deal with are in great numbers. We tend to have a majority of outside conflicts that occur in our parking lot, as they cruise in, aggitate eachother, and then get into it. Rolling onto it, we have dealt with a shortage of restraints when it involves two or more major groups hashing it out with each other.

Sometimes, with the extended responses by our local LE (which is not their fault, they are short staffed as well, and have many demands to meet), it can be anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple hours. You place one subject in restraints, take them to the control facility, and move onto the next call. With some nights, the amount of calls that come in, some of my staff wont see another officer for several hours, as they move from one call to the next. So if they end up using a set, then to have only one leaves them empty, and inevitably it bites them in the rear.
              Deputy Sheriff

Comment

As i have stated before i wear a Bianchi Accumold belt. I love it. It has to be the best that i have ever bought. I have tried the Unclw mikes and Galls , Duty pro and i like this the best. I am back at a mall so i changed my set up a little i have from right to left. Double cuff case, Key holder, MK 4 Holder (for tour trax),Leatherman in single mag pouch, Back is empty Then stinger case, Radio, MK 3 , Nextel and glove pouch. I carry two sets of peerlees cuffs and work in a rough area. I also have 2 sets of cuffs in my bag as back up for instances where i need to go back out and patrol when waiting for PD to arrive.
                Robert
                Here endith the lesson

Comment

Good man.. You have your war bag ready!
                  Deputy Sheriff

Comment

My Gear... One T-Mobile Cell phone, One set of 15-20 keys, 6 of which I use, and one Motorola Radio, no Shoulder mic. Mall Management won't give the go ahead for Batons, Cuffs, Spray etc etc.
                    "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

2 pair of handcuffs is all that the police carry. If any more restraints are required, why not use flex cuffs? Saves on weight, easy to store and inexpensive.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

If you're using four pairs of handcuffs, it probably means you're trying to arrest four people (or two really fat people), in which case, you're really outnumbered and putting yourself at serious risk.

Comment

My increasingly erratic and offensive opinion...

Sorry, I usually scoff when the people I work with walk by with 2, 3 or 4 sets of cuffs.

I carry one set.

My partner, who works within 6 feet of me for all 8 hours, carries two.

The three roving officers, one within 30 feet, and the other two less than 20 seconds away, each carry 2.

The supervisors (2), each 30-60 seconds away, carry 2 each.

The multiple federal agents and federal police officers who work 30-60 feet away have Dog knows how many.

Point being, I have enough available, should the need arise.

I don't need anymore, I've never used more than 2 pair in my life, and I dislike weight on my belt that I don't/won't use.

That, and the company supplies only one set....You buy your own after that.
                          Last edited by OccamsRazor; 09-26-2006, 11:04 PM. Reason: Blah blah blah

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo
                            If you're using four pairs of handcuffs, it probably means you're trying to arrest four people (or two really fat people), in which case, you're really outnumbered and putting yourself at serious risk.
                            I solved that problem by cuffing each of my subjects by their right or left wrists. That makes them shuffle along albetit uncomfortable but easier to control when you only have one set of handcuffs and want to seriously control their actions.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

Comment

In regards to how many sets of cuffs I carry, I carry 3 pairs due to the fact when I am patrolling at night time by myself I am atleast 20 minutes away from back up from my other security officers. Police response times can vary. The area that I get to patrol is a lower class industrial area and is crime ridden. The police in that area will not go there without atleast 2 officers. I have to work at night time so that doesnt help matters and on more than one occasion I have come across b & e's in progress. Now I radio my base and tell them what is going on and it then becomes observe and report unless you are in danger. One particular time i had 2 offenders run straight towards me with trolley bars and a knife. Here in my state once they are within 21 feet (7 meters) that is our law enforcement field interview distance I am well within my rights to protect myself. A knife is considered a leathal threat. Once I had drawn my firearm they both gave up. As I moved in to apprehend the 2 males they said "I am going to kill you copper". Our uniforms are so close to the police uniform it isnt funny. As they were approaching me i had informed my base via a radio call and they told the police dispatch what was going on and my base got back to me and told me that they are coming straight away. I moved in to cuff them for my safety and the first was was a smaller build and didnt resist. The second one was quite a large feller and needed 2 sets of cuffs and he was resisting but I was able to get him in cuffs because of the hinged peerless cuffs(we are taught how to use them as a control cuff).
                              Once I had them both in cuffs the police still took another 20 minutes to arrive. When I asked him why it took so long to come he simply said "I got here straight away but I am not going into that area (meaning the industrial area) by myself". I then asked him what about me I was here alone with no backup with two resisting offenders, he said with a laugh "that is what you are paid to do, don't like it quit". It left me speachless really.

In regards to carrying flexi cuffs we are not allowed to as they are deemed to dangerous by our police and therefor illegal. So the only option I have is to carry as many as I think i need.
                              Fight what is Wrong, Believe what is True, Do what is Right

Comment

In previous Job sites I have carried two sets on my person, and on occasion three. I don't use Flexi-cuffs, honestly because I don't like them.
                                "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X