Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

​​​​​Just the gig line? How about that brown belt and that waaaaay too short tie?
    The gig line is TRYING though, so hard. I can tell. It's legit curving trying to redirect itself.

Meh, we all have those days. My old company switched pants for a year before we all said if we don't get new pants we show up without them. The seam on the zipper was one thread. One. After a few months of regular washing, it would break and come loose, making it look like you had your fly down, constantly, or that you were too fat for your pants. Happened to nearly everyone.

Though, legit fort, you need to get a longer tie and a black belt. I good guess for the tie length should be one button space above the belt buckle, but not over it. Get a tie bar/clip too, they always look good.
    Last edited by PhantomX0990; 12-12-2017, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtWinters View Post
      Okay, as a former military I do not understand wearing military style uniforms, it sort of sticks in my craw a bit.
      With my old contract company, our tac unit was just that. It worked mainly at the refineries or nuclear plants. All of the workers for former or current military, it was actually a requirement. Otherwise it was reserved for SRT Leads and armed. It was also down to what the client wanted us to wear too. It was just a pretty basic full black BDU uniform, with the company patch/seal saying they were in tac on the shoulder. The way they were set up, it was obvious they were acting as security.

As for colors and stuff, most states have limitations on what colors can be for what. IE, here in MN It's statute 626.88 Subd 2: "Uniforms. (a) Uniforms for peace officers shall be of uniform colors throughout the state as provided herein. Uniforms for: (1) municipal peace officers, including University of Minnesota peace officers and peace officers assigned to patrol duties in parks, shall be blue, brown, or green; (2) peace officers who are members of the county sheriffs' office shall be blue, brown, or green;(3) state troopers shall be maroon; (4) conservation officers shall be green. (b) The uniforms of security guards may be any color other than those specified for peace officers. (c) The uniforms of a bail bondsman or bail enforcement agent or any person who acts at the direction of a surety may be any color other than those specified for peace officers. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. (d) This subdivision shall apply to uniforms purchased subsequent to January 1, 1981. Subd. 3. Exception. Security guards employed by the Capitol Complex Security Division of the Department of Public Safety are not required to comply with subdivision 2."

So it limits security a bit, being black, grey, white, etc. Though in our hospital we were dark navy.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
        Though, legit fort, you need to get a longer tie and a black belt. I good guess for the tie length should be one button space above the belt buckle, but not over it. Get a tie bar/clip too, they always look good.
        I try to get my ties so they touch my belt but not hang over it.

Comment

The fact is my uniform is dictated by my employer based on the image the client wants to present. I don't have any choice in the matter and they don't care if I think it looks stupid.

Allied issues black pants and a gray long sleeved shirt on my contract. It's not a horrible uniform I'd like it better if the shirt was cotton but I don't get to pick.

It's funny but I go to the same church as a couple client employees and I've walked right past them at church and they didn't recognize me in street clothes

Comment

yall wear them slip on ties? i would doing security type work. a tied tie could be a choking hazard if the bad guy got hold of it.

Comment

Wore a clip on back in the day. I prefer the break away (velcro) ties they have now.
              Last edited by Condo Guard; 12-12-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

After the years, I realized that the traditional 4 pocket dress pant can only go so far with all the equipment and gear the client (and security provider) pushes at us.

I currently wear my authorized Lawpro grey uniform dress shirt (L/S or S/S) and a pair of black Vertx brand duty pants. I used to wear black shoes but now it's full lace up boots (great ankle support).

Comment

That was my uniform in 2013 to 2014. The short tie is what my employer provided and told me to wear. I've had a couple of uniform changes since then.

Comment

The gig line is TRYING though, so hard. I can tell. It's legit curving trying to redirect itself.

Meh, we all have those days. My old company switched pants for a year before we all said if we don't get new pants we show up without them. The seam on the zipper was one thread. One. After a few months of regular washing, it would break and come loose, making it look like you had your fly down, constantly, or that you were too fat for your pants. Happened to nearly everyone.

To be perfectly honest with you every security company I've ever worked for has pretty much been a warm body company. I've had supervisors tell me they literally don't care if the guards even do the checks. As long as that's Management's attitude I'm not going to waste my time with uniform deficiencies.

And let's remember I'm no longer a supervisor so it's not my place anyway
                    Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 12-16-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

It's funny but I go to the same church as a couple client employees and I've walked right past them at church and they didn't recognize me in street clothes
                      The few times I've gone to work not in uniform, staff looks at me like I'm an alien before they realize who I am. One even did a double take and said I was cute not in uniform. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

Comment

Well, I admit I've occasionally not met uniform standards. I was once so tired I walked around half a shift with my name tag on upside down; another time I had no clean t-shirts except a fire engine red one - I certainly stood out that day.

That having been said, if you are squared away you are more likely to be perceived as being competent, which will gain you compliance with employees / customers and possibly improve your safety with subjects. Think about the slob guards you've seen (in real life or movies); if I was a bad guy I'd think, "Well this guy (gal) is a joke - easy target."

And Phantom, ever since your gig line comment, I find myself checking mine 2x before I walk out of the locker room, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                          That having been said, if you are squared away you are more likely to be perceived as being competent, which will gain you compliance with employees / customers and possibly improve your safety with subjects. Think about the slob guards you've seen (in real life or movies); if I was a bad guy I'd think, "Well this guy (gal) is a joke - easy target.
                          I got this from G4S so you can take it for what it's worth.

They frequently quoted a study at us that was supposedly a survey taken among cons who were in prison for attacking police officers. Supposably the across-the-board number one indicator that a cop would be an easy target it was if his uniform looked like a rag bag. They figure to sloppy looking cop wasn't paying attention to what was going on around him.

I have no idea where the study came from I don't know if I believe it I do know that I have run people off just by making it clear I was paying attention to them

Comment

Yeah, & when I did last shift (4pm to 12am) with no employees on site I didnt give a dang about how I looked. It was for a small privately owned aircraft upgrade facility, I sat in the office & occasionally dozed, didnt always do my rounds on time but they were aware that the guards could stagger their times so as to not be predicatable. I would walk around the small offices checking office doors then out into the attached hanger then through the walkway to the back hanger. I always hated that back hanger & walkway, it spooked me, always felt like bad mojo.

When I did condo checks during the summer down in OC MD I sorta cared about my look, least my uniform was clean, maybe not ironed but not looking like it came out the ragbag. I never cared about my gig line, heck I didnt even know what that was at the time.
                            Went into the military & while I'm still not a stickler for ironing, I do try to check my gig line when I walk out the door. Course being a bigger size doesnt really help much, LOL.

And yup, I'm an pay attention sorta person, living where I do, with my neighbors enjoying trespassing to hunt on my property, its sorta second naure now.

Comment

I got this from G4S so you can take it for what it's worth.

They frequently quoted a study at us that was supposedly a survey taken among cons who were in prison for attacking police officers. Supposably the across-the-board number one indicator that a cop would be an easy target it was if his uniform looked like a rag bag. They figure to sloppy looking cop wasn't paying attention to what was going on around him.

I have no idea where the study came from I don't know if I believe it I do know that I have run people off just by making it clear I was paying attention to them
                              It is a true study. The information is correct. Guards who look like a rag bag are guards who aren't paying attention in life. They are victims. If you look like a slob, you are a slob. It doesn't take any extra effort to be presentable. You want that respect you are so dying for, from everyone? Then dress and act like a professional adult. You EARN it, it's not automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                                And Phantom, ever since your gig line comment, I find myself checking mine 2x before I walk out of the locker room, LOL.
                                That's me, having a positive influence on security guard fashion.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X