Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condo Guard
    replied
    Well, I admit I've occasionally not met uniform standards. I was once so tired I walked around half a shift with my name tag on upside down; another time I had no clean t-shirts except a fire engine red one - I certainly stood out that day.

That having been said, if you are squared away you are more likely to be perceived as being competent, which will gain you compliance with employees / customers and possibly improve your safety with subjects. Think about the slob guards you've seen (in real life or movies); if I was a bad guy I'd think, "Well this guy (gal) is a joke - easy target."

And Phantom, ever since your gig line comment, I find myself checking mine 2x before I walk out of the locker room, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• PhantomX0990
    replied
    Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post
    It's funny but I go to the same church as a couple client employees and I've walked right past them at church and they didn't recognize me in street clothes
    The few times I've gone to work not in uniform, staff looks at me like I'm an alien before they realize who I am. One even did a double take and said I was cute not in uniform. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• Ingio Montoya
    replied
    Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post

The gig line is TRYING though, so hard. I can tell. It's legit curving trying to redirect itself.

Meh, we all have those days. My old company switched pants for a year before we all said if we don't get new pants we show up without them. The seam on the zipper was one thread. One. After a few months of regular washing, it would break and come loose, making it look like you had your fly down, constantly, or that you were too fat for your pants. Happened to nearly everyone.

Though, legit fort, you need to get a longer tie and a black belt. I good guess for the tie length should be one button space above the belt buckle, but not over it. Get a tie bar/clip too, they always look good.
    To be perfectly honest with you every security company I've ever worked for has pretty much been a warm body company. I've had supervisors tell me they literally don't care if the guards even do the checks. As long as that's Management's attitude I'm not going to waste my time with uniform deficiencies.

And let's remember I'm no longer a supervisor so it's not my place anyway
    Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 12-16-2017, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fortsmithman
    replied
    Though, legit fort, you need to get a longer tie and a black belt. I good guess for the tie length should be one button space above the belt buckle, but not over it. Get a tie bar/clip too, they always look good.
    That was my uniform in 2013 to 2014. The short tie is what my employer provided and told me to wear. I've had a couple of uniform changes since then.

Leave a comment:

• mrsolenya.vn
    replied
    After the years, I realized that the traditional 4 pocket dress pant can only go so far with all the equipment and gear the client (and security provider) pushes at us.

I currently wear my authorized Lawpro grey uniform dress shirt (L/S or S/S) and a pair of black Vertx brand duty pants. I used to wear black shoes but now it's full lace up boots (great ankle support).

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    Wore a clip on back in the day. I prefer the break away (velcro) ties they have now.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 12-12-2017, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wascaptain
    replied
    yall wear them slip on ties? i would doing security type work. a tied tie could be a choking hazard if the bad guy got hold of it.

Leave a comment:

• Ingio Montoya
    replied
    The fact is my uniform is dictated by my employer based on the image the client wants to present. I don't have any choice in the matter and they don't care if I think it looks stupid.

Allied issues black pants and a gray long sleeved shirt on my contract. It's not a horrible uniform I'd like it better if the shirt was cotton but I don't get to pick.

It's funny but I go to the same church as a couple client employees and I've walked right past them at church and they didn't recognize me in street clothes

Leave a comment:

• Ingio Montoya
    replied
    I try to get my ties so they touch my belt but not hang over it.

Leave a comment:

• PhantomX0990
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtWinters View Post
    Okay, as a former military I do not understand wearing military style uniforms, it sort of sticks in my craw a bit.
    With my old contract company, our tac unit was just that. It worked mainly at the refineries or nuclear plants. All of the workers for former or current military, it was actually a requirement. Otherwise it was reserved for SRT Leads and armed. It was also down to what the client wanted us to wear too. It was just a pretty basic full black BDU uniform, with the company patch/seal saying they were in tac on the shoulder. The way they were set up, it was obvious they were acting as security.

As for colors and stuff, most states have limitations on what colors can be for what. IE, here in MN It's statute 626.88 Subd 2: "Uniforms. (a) Uniforms for peace officers shall be of uniform colors throughout the state as provided herein. Uniforms for: (1) municipal peace officers, including University of Minnesota peace officers and peace officers assigned to patrol duties in parks, shall be blue, brown, or green; (2) peace officers who are members of the county sheriffs' office shall be blue, brown, or green;(3) state troopers shall be maroon; (4) conservation officers shall be green. (b) The uniforms of security guards may be any color other than those specified for peace officers. (c) The uniforms of a bail bondsman or bail enforcement agent or any person who acts at the direction of a surety may be any color other than those specified for peace officers. A violation of this paragraph is a petty misdemeanor. (d) This subdivision shall apply to uniforms purchased subsequent to January 1, 1981. Subd. 3. Exception. Security guards employed by the Capitol Complex Security Division of the Department of Public Safety are not required to comply with subdivision 2."

So it limits security a bit, being black, grey, white, etc. Though in our hospital we were dark navy.

Leave a comment:

• PhantomX0990
    replied
    Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

​​​​​Just the gig line? How about that brown belt and that waaaaay too short tie?
    The gig line is TRYING though, so hard. I can tell. It's legit curving trying to redirect itself.

Meh, we all have those days. My old company switched pants for a year before we all said if we don't get new pants we show up without them. The seam on the zipper was one thread. One. After a few months of regular washing, it would break and come loose, making it look like you had your fly down, constantly, or that you were too fat for your pants. Happened to nearly everyone.

Last edited by PhantomX0990; 12-12-2017, 04:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ingio Montoya
    replied
    fortsmithman, your gig line makes me sad.
    ​​​​​Just the gig line? How about that brown belt and that waaaaay too short tie?

Leave a comment:

• wascaptain
    replied
    i got to say all of them look sharp!
    even in this day and age, when i come across the police i give a salute when possible or a thank you for your service.

Leave a comment:

• SgtWinters
    replied
    Okay, as a former military I do not understand wearing military style uniforms, it sort of sticks in my craw a bit.
    I used to wear for local security companies, black trousers & usually powder blue tops, one place had black trousers & white short sleeve shirts.
    The local hospital had grey uniforms but I didnt wear them while I was there.

Now, the pics show the pretty current uniforms of the DSP, nice, dark blue with gold trim trousers, & mid/not quite powder blue shirts with smokey bear hats. Its very distinctive, something I'd expect for state troopers.

But the old black & white car one group is using? Or the other company trying to look like DSP when the owner & "commander" never worked or served with the DSP, that shouts "whacker" to me. I found for the 2nd company a pic of the interior of their vehicle, it is set up exactly like a DSP interiors, overkill.

Now mind you, I did contract patrol in company owned vehicles, they looked like a white painted truck with the security companies "badge" on the outside of the door but the interior looked like a normal vehicle.

As for me, I prefer greys (dk grey trouser, mid grey button up shirt) or black with mid grey top, if blues all dark, or dk blue trouser with white top. No DSP look, no bdus. Material is best if cotton mix as poly will have me sweating in no time flat plus it sucks for care & burns easily.

And when I did inhouse "undercover" I just matched the area I was in, no suits or dressy clothes in the Jamesway, as that wasnt the area look back in the 90s.

In this day & age, with the disrespect being show to the real police why would you want to look like them & be mistaken for them? Ehh, just MHO, obviously YMMV

Leave a comment:

• PhantomX0990
    replied
    fortsmithman, your gig line makes me sad.

When I was a supervisor/acting assistant account manager, I was a uniform nazi. I admit it. Random inspections were a thing. Basically, as our company saw it, part of what we're paying officers for is their appearance, it is the first step in the force continuum after all. Clean uniforms, ironed, good gig line, uniform fitted correctly.

As for my unforms over the years, pretty much wore everything my company had to offer; from plain clothes to suits to full on tac BDU uniform. I feel bad, but I still find bits of uniform around my place. I found a shirt last week. I plan to send it back to them this week. They only care about the patches anyway.

At my current place we wear full poly polos and pants to make us appear more 'approachable'. I wish we had more of a law enforcement look though.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X