Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
    Here is me in my uniform at work.
    No name tag, no identifying patch. If not for those epaulets you'd look like a delivery driver.

Just sayin'...
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

The contract firm I'm with part-time has added the 'Thin Blue Line' flag to its issued polo and Class A shirts since I started there.

The stuff I was issued came from old stock and carries a standard, full-color flag patch, which I'm glad about.

I'm uncomfortable with the altered/politicized flag itself, and the adoption of a police-identity emblem on a security uniform. I suppose it's meant by the owner as a gesture of support, but it comes off to me as something on the spectrum between ingratiation and impersonation/stolen valor.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post

No name tag, no identifying patch. If not for those epaulets you'd look like a delivery driver.

Just sayin'...
        I wish I was a delivery driver i would be making more money if I was. That's is my spring/summer uniform. My fall/winter uniform is dark blue cargo pants, white uniform shirt with the same security epaulette slip ons, with clip on neck tie. No patches or name plate.
        Last edited by fortsmithman; 09-29-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

This is a picture of what I wore about 3 years ago. The only thing that indicated me being security is the security guard badge clipped to my belt.

Comment

I've never liked the epaulets - they just never looked right to me. Hardway, I agree with your opinion on the blue line flag - probably good intentions, but as a civilian I would think, "Wannabe." (I don't mind the black bands on security badges when a local police officer is lost - it is a sign of respect.)

We recently had a contract security co. at one of the high end shops on the property where I work, and they never got it right. First guy sent out was in the hard uniform, sitting on a folding chair - he lasted a day. Second guy sent out was at least in a polo shirt and slacks, but he's a wearing a different color long sleeve shirt underneath and a cap inside the store. Seriously?

If I'm putting a guard in a store that sells $300 beauty products, he's going to be in a suit and tie, or a low key polo and slacks that looks professional.

Comment

The best uniform I ever wore who's won at work for HSS. I was at a propane storage facility so everything had to be all cotton. We had tan 5.11 pants and royal blue 511 Polo. It was the most comfortable uniform I ever wore.

Comment

Just sayin'...
                I've seen plenty of sites where the client doesn't want their guard to look like security guards (or law enforcement). They want a more "generic uniformed company representative" type of uniform. One site I saw had their guards wearing white military-style shirts with black uniform pants. The shirts had only the name of the site on it and black shoulderboards with the name of the site on them. I would have mistaken them for maintenance people if I didn't know that maintenance people wouldn't wear white for practical reasons (dirt, grime, etc...)

Comment

Yeah, I know. The fact is, though, that security is an enforcement position that we presume must sometimes need to take enforcement actions (enforcing "rules" rather than "laws" but still enforcement).

People should never be confused by the way security is dressed as to who the hell this person is that's telling them what to do (or not do). You don't have to "look like law enforcement" to be clearly identified as a security officer, nor is there any good reason for an organization that uses UNIFORMED security officers to wish for them to look like UPS drivers or janitors. It only detracts from their effectiveness. (Not talking here about venues that use plain-clothes folks, in which case their dress makes sense.)

It's like the doctor gives you a prescription for sleeping pills. You're supposed to take 2 pills at night, but you take only 1, and then you lie awake bitching that the medicine isn't strong enough.

If you use uniformed security, let the uniform in some way clearly identify them AS security, whether by patch, badge or whatever. Or else why don't you just go ahead put them in white aprons with a chef's hat so people can mistake them for the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Or how about a cleric's collar? Or scrubs?

Geesh!

And that's the end of my song.
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM.
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Yeah, I know. The fact is, though, that security is an enforcement position that we presume must sometimes need to take enforcement actions (enforcing "rules" rather than "laws" but still enforcement).

People should never be confused by the way security is dressed as to who the hell this person is that's telling them what to do (or not do). You don't have to "look like law enforcement" to be clearly identified as a security officer, nor is there any good reason for an organization that uses UNIFORMED security officers to wish for them to look like UPS drivers or janitors. It only detracts from their effectiveness. (Not talking here about venues that use plain-clothes folks, in which case their dress makes sense.)

It's like the doctor gives you a prescription for sleeping pills. You're supposed to take 2 pills at night, but you take only 1, and then you lie awake bitching that the medicine isn't strong enough.

If you use uniformed security, let the uniform in some way clearly identify them AS security, whether by patch, badge or whatever. Or else why don't you just go ahead put them in white aprons with a chef's hat so people can mistake them for the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Or how about a cleric's collar? Or scrubs?

Geesh!

And that's the end of my song.
                    Fair enough, though it could be argued that all is required is for the person to be identifiable as someone who works at the building. After all, generally speaking a security guard's authority to enforce rules comes from the fact that he or she is acting on behalf of the owner ("security" is a job title, not a legal status). People who aren't security enforce rules all the time.

Comment

My uniform for my as and when needed job at the Govt run hospital is a dark navy uniform shirt with security patches on both sleeves with either dark navy cargo pants, or dark navy patrol shorts.

Comment

Looks like my uniform at the hotel In work is changing from a tan shirt in summer, and white shirt in winter to a year round dark navy shirt with Security epaulet slipons. It still won’t have any other patches saying security. Up here the police which is the RCMP wear a silver grey uniform shirt so the shirt colour will not be the same as the police.
                        Last edited by fortsmithman; 12-20-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

fortsmithman, your gig line makes me sad.

When I was a supervisor/acting assistant account manager, I was a uniform nazi. I admit it. Random inspections were a thing. Basically, as our company saw it, part of what we're paying officers for is their appearance, it is the first step in the force continuum after all. Clean uniforms, ironed, good gig line, uniform fitted correctly.

As for my unforms over the years, pretty much wore everything my company had to offer; from plain clothes to suits to full on tac BDU uniform. I feel bad, but I still find bits of uniform around my place. I found a shirt last week. I plan to send it back to them this week. They only care about the patches anyway.

At my current place we wear full poly polos and pants to make us appear more 'approachable'. I wish we had more of a law enforcement look though.

Comment

Okay, as a former military I do not understand wearing military style uniforms, it sort of sticks in my craw a bit.
                            I used to wear for local security companies, black trousers & usually powder blue tops, one place had black trousers & white short sleeve shirts.
                            The local hospital had grey uniforms but I didnt wear them while I was there.

Now, the pics show the pretty current uniforms of the DSP, nice, dark blue with gold trim trousers, & mid/not quite powder blue shirts with smokey bear hats. Its very distinctive, something I'd expect for state troopers.

But the old black & white car one group is using? Or the other company trying to look like DSP when the owner & "commander" never worked or served with the DSP, that shouts "whacker" to me. I found for the 2nd company a pic of the interior of their vehicle, it is set up exactly like a DSP interiors, overkill.

Now mind you, I did contract patrol in company owned vehicles, they looked like a white painted truck with the security companies "badge" on the outside of the door but the interior looked like a normal vehicle.

As for me, I prefer greys (dk grey trouser, mid grey button up shirt) or black with mid grey top, if blues all dark, or dk blue trouser with white top. No DSP look, no bdus. Material is best if cotton mix as poly will have me sweating in no time flat plus it sucks for care & burns easily.

And when I did inhouse "undercover" I just matched the area I was in, no suits or dressy clothes in the Jamesway, as that wasnt the area look back in the 90s.

In this day & age, with the disrespect being show to the real police why would you want to look like them & be mistaken for them? Ehh, just MHO, obviously YMMV

Comment

i got to say all of them look sharp!
                              even in this day and age, when i come across the police i give a salute when possible or a thank you for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
                                fortsmithman, your gig line makes me sad.
                                ​​​​​Just the gig line? How about that brown belt and that waaaaay too short tie?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X