Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform

Security uniforms vary from assignments to weather, what sort of uniform do guys prefer? In my 10 years I have worn a combination of white poly button down with dark blue pants, sky blue poly button down (hated it) with black pants and most recently dark blue polo's with black 5.11 BDU's. My favorite has been the white poly's, although durning the summer it can get really HOT, the uniform shirt looks good with the patches, badge and name tag.

So what's your favorite style?

The one that is most comfortable while being appropriate for position requirements. I detest polyester and actually develop contact dermatitis when wearing cheap polyester such as the well known pants and shirts that some clients and companies in Florida seem to prefer. Cotton is generally cooler during hot weather and warmer during the occasional brief cool spell down here. I don't care about the color at all. Style? Am I being paid to model? Again, style is another non issue for me.
    "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

Comment

I perfer BDU's, because its super comfortable to walk around in for 8 hours or 16.....
      I hate the cheap knock off uniform brand , can't compare to the main brand....

Comment

100% polyester in Florida in the summer?! I'm sorry, that counts as torture in my book. The only time I like poly is in the winter - it does hold body heat.

We wear a poly cotton mix - it gets wrinkled a bit, but still looks fairly sharp. I do like white, but it show the dirt on industrial or rural sites.

Comment

Plain clothes has always been my favorite style

After that, BDUs with a polo. Only time any companies 'police style' or 'military style' uniform has been comfortable to me is after I purchased my own and sewn the patches on.
          Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Uniform

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
            Plain clothes has always been my favorite style.....
            Plain clothes is my favorite, too. Also, I agree with the comment on poly-cotton blend. When I wore 5.11s daily I started with the original way back when. They were 100% cotton. With a few washings they already would start to fade and they really didn't look all that great either. I had all the colors they offered when they were still Royal Robbins. I bought an additional pair in each color some time later and the Royal Robbins logo had been dropped, but they were still all cotton. Some time after all of those were well worn they were finally offering the poly-cotton blend. They lasted much longer and did not seem to fade nearly as much.

Comment

Tried the poly cotton blend, Tac-Lite, I believe. Still didn't seem as soft and comfortable as 100% cotton. Can't argue that it looked good, wash after wash. Not a fan, though.
              Plainclothes would get my vote every time, too.
              "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

Comment

I think our shirts are a cotton/poly mix. Pants differ from person to person. Some stick with the issued pants, some buy their own black uniform pants. I prefer black EMS pants as they've got re-enforced knees, some elastic in the waist, as well as reflective trim around the legs above the knee--failing that they come with it, I buy the trim and have a seamstress put it on--on a mine site, with heavy equipment and vehicles moving around the site frequently, you can never be too visible.

Base layer is always Under Armour, boots are Haix Airpower 100's, and my outermost piece of clothing is a high-visibility fleece....until it warms up outside....
                World's Youngest Grumpy Old Man

AF&AM

Opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer, the client, or SIW Forums (unless specifically stated for moderation purposes)

Comment

My favorite is patrol shorts and a polo shirt; you can look professional and feel laid back at the same time.
                  http://firearmsnerd.com/

Comment

In Southern California city Police wear dark blue, county wear green pants/tan shirts and the CHP wear tan/tan. I wonder if in the near future if the state will require one uniform color for security. Years ago I worked for both Westec patrol and Bel Air patrol and due to fact we under the Police commission we were required to wear gray uniforms and a city badge that stated Private Patrol Officer as well as going thru the cities back ground and getting a Police permit I.D.

It would make sense but I don't want some one telling us we have to wear Yellow as some cities do. I don't like white shirts either , Either full gray or dark blue pants and a lite blue shirt.

Comment

Right now I wear either a white polo or white uniform shirt with black tactical pants and boots or athletic shoes. Some how I manage to keep my shirts clean even though I work K-9.

Just wish my co workers could keep theirs clean

Comment

Here is me in my uniform at work.

Comment

Here is my uniform again except it needs to be ironed.

Comment

For general security work I'd say a black polo shirt with tan cargo pants. For formal uniform work (say, office building day shift) navy blue or black suit, black tie, white "civilian" type shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post
                              For general security work I'd say a black polo shirt with tan cargo pants. For formal uniform work (say, office building day shift) navy blue or black suit, black tie, white "civilian" type shirt.
                              Can't agree with the suit except perhaps in certain "special" venues (such as security for a house of worship, perhaps a society wedding or other formal event, etc).

Usually, it's more desirable for the security uniform to be distinctive and recognizable as such, and to be appropriate for the job in terms of durability, comfort, maintenance, etc. If a situation calls for something less casual than polos/slacks, less "military" than BDUs, etc., - for instance, security at an art museum - rather than a suit I'd go with something like a navy blazer with grey slacks - and a small discreet patch on the blazer breast pocket or a lanyard ID that clearly identifies the security officer as such.

If a security officer is interfacing with the public, the public shouldn't wonder who he is. In an office building such as you mention, a security officer in a suit and tie would just look like lots of other people who work in the building.

The other reason for security to be recognizable is so that people can easily obtain assistance, directions, etc. And on a practical note, suits are expensive to buy and both expensive and inconvenient to maintain. Blazer/slacks much less so, and more versatile.
                              Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-11-2017, 09:52 AM.
                              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X