Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badge / Shield Design

Hello,

I am currently working on making my final decision in reference to the type of badge or shield that my officers are going to wear, and would like everyone's opinion. My first choice is the classic night-watchmen shield with no eagle. This has been my original choice, simply because of its history with security.

My second choice is the eagle top shield, most commonly used with security, it reads "security enforcement officer" or just "security officer or guard" you can find this badge almost anywhere, and they are also the cheapest.

My third choice is the ovals, the kind you see on LAPD officers. This would have been my second choice but after reading up on the history of the badge, this design was made specifically for west coast LE departments. The stripes or lines that are found around the seal, represent the west coast sunset, I'm a Florida guy so the meaning doesn't fit my company.

My fourth choice is the star, I had to bump this was down due to the heavy state laws regarding the star badge. In Florida if wearing a star badge (non-LE) it MUST be seven point, can be used alone or inside of an oval or circle design.

So what's your favorite badge design and why?

Thanks....

It's almost a hobby of mine. Over the 35+ years in the business I've had about 7 or 8 made. No eagles as this is American & no star shaped but lots of shields, 1 oval & 1 starburst. Besides the ones I've bought when I get bored I regularly go to Build a Badge & designing more for fun.

My favourite was a shield made using a lapel pin of the hotel's logo as the centre. I had to stop wearing it because the botel changed it"s logo & so far I can't find a replacement pin with the new logo.

My 2nd favourite is a starburst with my avatar as the centre piece.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I've always worn either the plain shield or the eagle on top style. As discussed previously on the forum, some don't like the words "Security Enforcement Officer," thinking it to be gramatically wrong or too cop-like. I don't like the oval badges just because I grew up watching "Dragnet" in re-runs and always think of them as being strictly LAPD.

Yes, avoid the star badges for the reason you mentioned. If you get badges with a seal choice, avoid your state seal so you aren't mistaken for PD.

Get some input from your staff and try to see the badge in real life. One company I worked for ordered custom badges with the scales of justice seal - luckily we only ordered two to start. When we got them they were really cheesy looking and a dispappointment.

Comment

I had shields designed for my company because the local law enforcement here uses stars, and I wanted something different than them. I think stars look the best, “A shield is something you hide behind, and a star is something you look up to.” I attached a picture of a badge design I like.

In California, if wearing a badge, it has to have the complete company name on it, consequently there are a lot of embroidered badges around here. You are also required to have your name or an identifying number on your uniform. If you want to do it right, you get each one of your officers their own badge with a unique number. I did this and used the numbers to signify "rank": 100's for supervision, 200's for management, 1000's for regular guys, 2000's for part-timers.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	sec badge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	221390
        http://firearmsnerd.com/

Comment

I am still playing with different designs. My current company uses the one above but in silver. I am trying to stand out from LE, but look very professional. Easier said than done.

Comment

City mandates what we (SPOs) wear. NO other badge is allowed.

Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I'm not allowed to show what my badge looks like but I can describe it.

It is a Silver Smith & Warren 6 point star-in-circle (model S579), top of the circle has our company name, bottom of the circle says "Security Officer". The top rocker on the top of the says the month and year we started, bottom rocker has our last name, and the center seal has our company logo. No one in our area uses this design which makes it unique to us....most are either the Eagle top badges, LAPD style oval, or 5 point stars.

Copy and paste this URL and you can see a general picture I found of our badge.
              http://www.badgeandwallet.com/badges...ge-sw-s579.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx102 View Post
                I'm not allowed to show what my badge looks like but I can describe it.
                So you can't wear your badge on your uniform shirt??? Why have one then???

Comment

Personal opinion here.......... no star's, stars are reserved for elected officials who are "Peace Officer's" (Sheriff,Constable's,Coroner's and Jailer's) and their deputies, Star's outrank Shields.

Only shields, but nothing that looks like the local police, so no confussion.

but again, only my opinion with how things are done in Ky.

Comment

ZM,

That's a cool badge. I like how it's the standard MA Constable style. Always liked that look..

Comment

Originally posted by med9044 View Post
                      Personal opinion here.......... no star's, stars are reserved for elected officials who are "Peace Officer's" (Sheriff,Constable's,Coroner's and Jailer's) and their deputies, Star's outrank Shields.

Only shields, but nothing that looks like the local police, so no confussion.

but again, only my opinion with how things are done in Ky.
                      It is very common for police departments and other non elected departments to have star badges as well. I know several agencies in Northern California that have star badges that are PDs. California ABC also has a star badge.

Comment

Originally posted by i_Ryan View Post
                        It is very common for police departments and other non elected departments to have star badges as well. I know several agencies in Northern California that have star badges that are PDs. California ABC also has a star badge.
                        As i stated... in Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by i_Ryan View Post
                          I think the NYPD Auxiliary (non-sworn) uses stars, unlike "regular" NYPD officers who use shields.

Comment

Originally posted by WatnNY View Post
                            I meant I can't post a photo of it on here without permission from my manager.

Comment

Originally posted by WatnNY View Post
                              Actually, in the province of Alberta (Canada) security guards are allowed to carry badges, but can't wear them. There's a very specific design that must be used, security guards that have them have to carry them in a wallet holder with the ID card and can't show the badge without the card.

Unlike the US, in Canada many law enforcement agencies don't wear their badges (including the RCMP, which is our federal police force and does "general" policing in many provinces in areas that don't have city police).

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X