Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment and Gear in Canada ?

hi @ all

i try to find something out about equipment and gear in canada ( ontario )

what is allowed and what forbidden for security companys and security guards ?

where are good stores for personal stuff and car equipment ( lightbars )?

what have you in use and how are your cars equipped ?

i am thankfull for every information

greetings
    masterchief
    "There are three kinds of people in the world. There are wolves and there are sheep. And then there are those who protect the sheep from the wolves..."

Check with some of the other Canadian Members here on legislative issue and laws, as I am completely unfamiliar with Canadian law...

As for equipment, None in Canada I know of, but I know of many that will ship to Canada, and with good prices..

www.galls.com

There is also QuarterMaster.
    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Private security is regulated by the provinces in Canada.

I'm not in Ontario, I'm in Quebec. I know of one company in Ontario 911Gear. R. Nicholls is here in Montreal but I think they also have an office in Toronto Ontario.

Again not to promote another site but the majority of the members of the site I mentioned in my other post are from Ontario Canada.

Only armoured car security carry guns.

Blue flashing lights are used by snow removal equipment in Ontario. Red lights can only be used by police, fire or ambulance. They MIGHT allow yellow ones on security vehicles registered as service vehicles.
      Last edited by HotelSecurity; 08-18-2006, 05:20 AM.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

R. Nichols is in Ottawa to, Ontario security cant carry a badge, oc, side arm (unless there armoured car) or asp (with a few exceptions)

stay safe
        ben

Comment

that are not realy good news

very long list of what is forbidden

against that ... what is alowed ???

thanx for the answers

masterchief
          "There are three kinds of people in the world. There are wolves and there are sheep. And then there are those who protect the sheep from the wolves..."

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief
            that are not realy good news

very long list of what is forbidden

against that ... what is alowed ???

thanx for the answers

masterchief
            A uniform that says SECURITY GUARD in specified height on the front and back, I believe. Have you tried the provincial website for Ontario? Canadian proviences are pretty good about putting this stuff online.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

as many laws and regulations you only get told what is restrikted but not realy what you can do without getting in trouble

masterchief

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                A uniform that says SECURITY GUARD in specified height on the front and back, I believe. Have you tried the provincial website for Ontario? Canadian proviences are pretty good about putting this stuff online.
                But remember the law is about to change any day now.

Comment

google Bill 159

Bill 159 pertaining to the Private Security and Investigative Services Act is a piece of provincial legislation that has been passed in Ontario in December '05. The Bill outlines all the legislative requirements in order to be employed as a Security Guard in Ontario. You can easily obtain this info on the internet. The legislation covers everything from equipment to uniforms, to job titles.

Comment

Originally posted by burley
                    Bill 159 pertaining to the Private Security and Investigative Services Act is a piece of provincial legislation that has been passed in Ontario in December '05. The Bill outlines all the legislative requirements in order to be employed as a Security Guard in Ontario. You can easily obtain this info on the internet. The legislation covers everything from equipment to uniforms, to job titles.
                    Has it been enacted yet?

Comment

All organizations employing in-house security and security provider organizations must be licensed and have their staff trained and licensed by March 2007. This means the warm body who speaks little english will now have to meet a standardized training requirement (probably 40hrs.+) and then pass a standardized exam to obtain their license.

Comment

We don't need to have Security on our backs.

We can carry handcuffs, PR24's or Straight Sticks, and wear soft body armour. Soon an act will come out stating we cannot wear black or dark blue shirts (think NYPD blue). Of corse, proper training and cert's are required for all of the above...cept the SBA

These are for Ontario only. In BC most security cannot carry cuffs, or a baton, or wear a vest of any kind.

Cheers!
                        ~Markus J
                        Enforcement Division,
                        Housing Enforcement unit,
                        Delta Security
                        http://www.deltasecurity.ca/

Comment

guard tour systems

I need to purchase a Guard Tour System (the wand and decal system that monitors whether the Security Officer has actually visited a certain location) asap. I would appreciate it if I could get tried and true experience/information on these systems either from a front line Security Officer guard perspective or management perspective.

Comment

Canadian security personnel should not be wearing black or LAPD shirts. Pants are fine, but the shirt should be of another colour. There should be no confusion amongst the public as to who you are. Also, it damages relations with the police and if a cop tells you he doesnt mind, believe me they do mind. The Police Association is the major player to see Ontario's security act changed to restrict certain uniforms, markings and equipment....you can thank the big city security companies.
                            I agree that there should be a fine line btw security and police. Now I'm seeing a private company, within the city I work and live, in a crown vic with the look of the OPP stealth cruiser. Oh brother!

R. Nichols Distributors - Mississauga, Toronto, Ottawa, (Montreal?) is a great place to get gear/uniforms.
                            If you need a good training company, let me know. I only recommend 2 for South and Central Ontario area. Law theory, court procedures, tactical communication, scenario based training, de-escalation tactics, arrest procedures, first-aid and CPR. Do use of force training, at the very least, every 6 months, with testing once a year. Keep your vehicle simple. You wont be doing high speed chases or bumping cars off the road! Maybe getting the "police package" upgrade - reinforced suspension, underside and brakes. It keeps your car on the road longer with less time in the shop. Stay away from the typical police markings and shoulder flashes. Amber lights only, no sirens. Equipment - cuffs are fine in Ontario, anyone can carry/use them. Spray and stun guns are not allowed. Better to get (if you're running your own company) a Security consultant to look over what area(s) the officers will be working in (risk assessments) and go by what he/she suggests.
                            Radio system, cell phone at the very least. Dont carry the long multi-cell flashlights, you're only looking for trouble! Go with a Strion, Scorpian or some other flashlight, perferably a rechargeable light that can easily attach to your duty belt....and cannot be used as a weapon against you in a struggle.
                            I gotta go to work now....lots more to say, but you get my point!

Cityguy
                            Municipal Security/MLEO

Comment

What's an MLEO?

As to shirt colors, I have always found this silly. In this area alone, they wear: Silvertan (Sheriff), LAPD Blue (Police and Security), French Blue (Police and Security), Black (Police and Security), White (Police and Security)...

So, which do you wear when everyone wears different colors?
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X