Uniform design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform design

I'm changing employers in the next few weeks, moving from contract to in-house. I get to design my uniform, and the new employer wants a polished Class B look similar to what I have now. Basic polyester patrol blues, badge, nametag, etc., and nylon duty belt. What I'd like suggestions on are badges and shoulder patches.

-I found a nice 7-point star on Quartermaster that doesn't look too hokey, but I'm curious about other guards' favorite designs as well.

-And then for shoulder patches... this is where I'm stumped. My contract uniform has the company's custom patch on each shoulder. A large gold ring with company name inscribed around it, and a large 5-point star in the middle. But obviously since I'm the only in-house guard (they're retaining the contract company for my days off), I'm not looking for the quantity of patches that come in a custom order. So far I think an American flag would be appropriate. What should I do about the other shoulder? Is blank better than a gimpy generic patch?

I would go with a custom patch design. http://www.patchwarehouse.com/custom...ch-pricing.php

It will set your new employer back a few hundred dollars, put you will be set on patches for a long time.

As for a badge, you can go to this site: http://www.chiefsupply.com/VisualBadgeBuilder.aspx

That lets you see your custom badge as you design it.

There is nothing worse then a generic uniform, with security patches and a "Security Enforcement Officer" tin badge.

The badge will out live you, so it is a one time purchase.
    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Nothing at all against flags but I hate uniforms that have a different patch on each shoulder. To me it makes the wearer look unbalanced.

As for the design of the patch I like simple stand out ones. Your companies logo with the word security.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

That badge creator is awesome. Very reasonably priced for what the customer gets. Can anyone comment on whether the physical product looks as sharp as the pictures in the design application?

Comment

Originally posted by LV_PSO View Post
          That badge creator is awesome. Very reasonably priced for what the customer gets. Can anyone comment on whether the physical product looks as sharp as the pictures in the design application?
          i designed & bought 2 using it. They both look almost exactly as they did on the computer.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I don't mind one shoulder patch (on the left shoulder, so its visible from the driver's side). I like the American flag, but I had one supervisor that removed it from our uniforms because he said it made us look like "Boy Scouts."

I prefer a small badge over the gigantic generic ones (big badge, small...no, I'm not going there).

Comment

what about 'fabric paint'? they say it is supposed to be washable.

I tried to turn a pair of white synthetic leather 'cross trainers' into "black shoes" with black fabric paint but it wouldn't stick. Oh, well.

But I've been toying with making some of my own Security Uniform with fabric paints, like....

S
              E
              C
              U
              R
              I
              T
              Y down the sleeve or across the back of shirts or jackets, or down one side of the front or down one leg or on a cap.

I've also heard you can go "low profile" and only have a tiny embroidered "security" on the sleeve of a polo shirt or whatever and still be legal as "in uniform".

I wonder if paint is legally the same as thread stitching? I'm pretty sure it would be because I'm sure there are printed shirts with "Security" for sporting and other events I've seen.

Would it look like crap? Who knows. Might take a couple tries. Maybe I'll start with test area on tucked in part of shirt tail and put it through wash a few times. Probably use a stencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
                .....I wonder if paint is legally the same as thread stitching? I'm pretty sure it would be because I'm sure there are printed shirts with "Security" for sporting and other events I've seen.

Would it look like crap? Who knows. Might take a couple tries. Maybe I'll start with test area on tucked in part of shirt tail and put it through wash a few times. Probably use a stencil.....

I think that would look terrible. To me, that sort of reminds me of prisoners where they have a stencil that states:

"INMATE" or "DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS"

Are you sure you want to try paint?

Comment

Originally posted by LV_PSO View Post
                  It is.

I used visual badge to create my CPO badge (my avatar pic), and it is dead on as to what I wanted. And I was surprised that the text on the badge was/is recessed and enamel filled, not just a solid banner with lettering applied to the surface...

And it only cost me around $100; I'm considering having a campaign hat pin done in similar fashion to cover the damn ugly grommet hole in the front of it...
                  “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                  "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

I would recommend checking with any state or municipal regulatory agency to determine what if any requirements they may have for the uniform/badge /or patch. I know California does.

Comment

Used the design tool on Chief Supply's website to place an order for one today. Very excited. Anxious for the lag time (3-4 weeks), but I think it will look very sharp.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	badge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	221335

Before completing the employer transition, I extensively researched the uniform regulations for guards in our state, as well as looked for any difference between contract and proprietary positions. Working proprietary security doesn't require registering with the state's governing board (PI Licensing Board, here in NV), where contract guards have to register with the board and work for a licensed company. Contract guard uniforms have to have all insignia signed off by the board, while proprietary uniforms just have to not be "deceptively similar to a uniform, badge or patch used by any other licensee or law enforcement agency in this State."

Still up in the air on patches. I'm the only proprietary guard, so I'm looking at a max of 6-8 patches (3-4 shirts), way less than the typical minimum on reasonably priced custom orders.

Who can make suggestions on favorite mass-market shoulder patches?

Comment

Wow, cool...there are a lot more regulations on proprietary security officers and uniforms in Cali these days. iI like the badges design.... Is there no requirement for a numbered badge?

Comment

Originally posted by TOII View Post
                          Wow, cool...there are a lot more regulations on proprietary security officers and uniforms in Cali these days. iI like the badges design.... Is there no requirement for a numbered badge?
                          And apparently it's OK to use the State Seal?
                          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                            And apparently it's OK to use the State Seal?
                            I see your point. In my research, I concluded Nevada's regulations on security badges make no exclusions of badge content, just saying that the badge can't be deceptively similar to official state agency insignia. I make no bones about it-- I'm not sworn, and the badge says "private" in no uncertain terms.

I guess it comes down to I'm no lawyer, so I don't know the full letter of the law. However, if this design was ever called into question, I could demonstrate I mean to comply with the spirit of the law. For example, my employer has heard me explain to countless site guests that I'm not sworn (observing a sworn-vs-private misperception and knowingly allowing it to go uncorrected is actually a crime).

But I do thank you for bringing that to light. Seriously. Always want to be on the up and up.

Comment

I've been told that since WA did their major revamp of security regs in the mid-90s, only LE and state agencies can use the state seal on their badges. Don't know if in-house departments are exempt.

As for patches, go with something that has "Security Officer" in larger (rather than smaller) letters. Go for a patch that doesn't match the colors of the local police's patches, and there should be no confusion.

It is a good looking badge, though...

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X