Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Computers-Toughbooks

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the market for a laptop computer. I have been looking at toughbooks, but not sure if they can be sold to a single buyer (not a company owner).

What models/brands would you reccommend? The computer will be used for work and for school related purposes.

Sean

Laptop Computers-Toughbooks

I have used Panasonic Toughbooks for years. What do you intend to do with it? I have used a CF-28 and most recently a CF-29. Like most notebook computers, I would suggest buying as much computer as you can afford. Do you plan on buying new or used? Will this be mounted in a vehicle?

Comment

Toughbooks

The toughbooks are good, they are TOUGH and are pretty good with cold temps. I got a toughbook, used for my brother in law who works on Heavy Machines and he likes it. I got it from a website called "Stealitback.com" it also goes by the name "propertyroom.com" (Im not trying to advertise, its just a website I use) Its a mini ebay, that many Police depts use to generate funds. You need to read the details about stuff before you buy but I have bought a few things from that site as with any type of ebay type deal.

As for my job, they use the TBs in their patrol cars, and they hold up pretty well. I dont hear much complaining from ppl about the computers, more so from our internal network

Comment

Toughbooks are overpriced, underpowered, and overrated. Get a Fujitsu Lifebook for, like, half the price. They're just fine for 90% of applications, including patrol vehicle, construction site, and emergency backup weapon usage (you clock a perp in the face with one, he'll go down and stay down... and you can type up the paperwork on the same laptop).
        The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1348 View Post
          I have used Panasonic Toughbooks for years. What do you intend to do with it? I have used a CF-28 and most recently a CF-29. Like most notebook computers, I would suggest buying as much computer as you can afford. Do you plan on buying new or used? Will this be mounted in a vehicle?
          I will use the laptop for research/internet useage/news to keep situtional awareness up/and school work.

There are a numerous little shops/eateries that have wireless internet, so that shouldnt be a an issue.

Sean

Comment

Make sure if you buy a Toughbook that it has wifi built in. Many do not. It is not a standard feature. Also, get the back-lit, non-rubber keyboard. The rubber keyboards are horrible to type on.

You can get used CF-30's on Ebay really cheap right now (under $500.00).
            ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Toughbooks are nice, but they are cumbersome and I wouldn't want one for school.

What are you majoring in?

Personally, I would go for a flash based netbook as they are cheap, light and tend to have better battery life. If it's too small, you want a step up, but don't want spend then money then I would buy a Toshiba. I got one for $425 a 3-4 years ago it's still going strong. I've seen better ones now going for $399 with a free backpack and $50 mail-in rebate. It does what I want - internet, email, Microsoft Office, movies, and the occasional game.

Save the money, head and backache.
              sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

Originally posted by tanko View Post
                Toughbooks are nice, but they are cumbersome and I wouldn't want one for school.

What are you majoring in?

Personally, I would go for a flash based netbook as they are cheap, light and tend to have better battery life. If it's too small, you want a step up, but don't want spend then money then I would buy a Toshiba. I got one for $425 a 3-4 years ago it's still going strong. I've seen better ones now going for $399 with a free backpack and $50 mail-in rebate. It does what I want - internet, email, Microsoft Office, movies, and the occasional game.

Save the money, head and backache.
                My major is fire science, and im nearing the end of that degree program. My plan after is to transfer, then study political science with a minor in International relations, and hopefully take ROTC.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X