Radio Mic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lo2w View Post
    I've always been confused: how do the wires run? Some I have seen look pretty well set up and professional but I'm going to go with the center clip since I will have a standard polo-no shoulder wear.
    +1 on a listen-only earpiece, I work in a 10-12 kind of environment where it's def not appropriate to broadcast our standard radio traffic to those around me.

I'll explain what I discovered about how it connects to the shoulder mic. Thing to be careful about on my model of shoulder mic and listen-only earpiece is the threaded connection where the earpiece wire attaches to the base of the lapel mic connector. I broke the first earpiece I had because I was screwing it into my shoulder mic every shift, probably kinked or broke a wire inside. The solution is to leave the earpiece wire screwed to the lapel mic cord and disconnect the mic and earpiece from the radio as one unit.

I didn't get it right at first, so I'll share my new routine that keeps it working now:
    1- Put on undershirt and armor
    2- Put earpiece into ear and clip its wire to back of armor, clip shoulder mic to rear pants pocket.
    3- Put on uniform shirt & tuck it in, with earpiece wire running down into pants and up back of vest and then coming out the collar. (Moving from outermost layer in toward the body at this point, it looks like Pants>Earpiece wire going down into pants>Uniform shirt>Earpiece wire going up back>Armor>Undershirt>Skin)
    4- Shoulder mic cord runs up the back and over the shoulder outside the uniform shirt, clipped to collar/front buttons.
    5- Duty belt on.
    6- Connect shoulder mic to radio and secure on belt.

Comment

I had an inmate try to strangle me with my shoulder mic cord during a confrontation. The inmate could not get the cord taut enough to impair breathing or circulation because of the spiral cord design. The fact he fumbled with it gave me plenty of time to defend the attack and call for help on the radio. The inmate and his cellmate premeditated the event by tampering with the door of their cell which caused a visual alarm to illuminate on the control board in the unit. I responded to the cell to visually inspect and the two inmates basically bum-rushed me. One inmate grabbed my radio cord and tried to strangle me while the other tried to get the keys off of my belt. Because of the spiral cord I was able to wedge one hand in between the cord and my neck and use the other to call for help on the shoulder mic while kicking at the other second attacker. For this reason I am a big proponent of the shoulder mic and the ability it gives an officer to communicate easily in confrontational situations.
      "He who casts the first stone, gets charged with aggravated assault." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by DALSGT View Post
        I had an inmate try to strangle me with my shoulder mic cord during a confrontation. The inmate could not get the cord taut enough to impair breathing or circulation because of the spiral cord design. The fact he fumbled with it gave me plenty of time to defend the attack and call for help on the radio. The inmate and his cellmate premeditated the event by tampering with the door of their cell which caused a visual alarm to illuminate on the control board in the unit. I responded to the cell to visually inspect and the two inmates basically bum-rushed me. One inmate grabbed my radio cord and tried to strangle me while the other tried to get the keys off of my belt. Because of the spiral cord I was able to wedge one hand in between the cord and my neck and use the other to call for help on the shoulder mic while kicking at the other second attacker. For this reason I am a big proponent of the shoulder mic and the ability it gives an officer to communicate easily in confrontational situations.
        Thats when your Body alarm comes in handy. When I was at the mall we had some ancient HT750s i believe motorolas. Shoulder mic with a listen only earpiece attached. It's amazing how stupid some coworkers can be and what they will broadcast over the air.
        Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
          Thats when your Body alarm comes in handy. When I was at the mall we had some ancient HT750s i believe motorolas. Shoulder mic with a listen only earpiece attached. It's amazing how stupid some coworkers can be and what they will broadcast over the air.
          I agree, a body alarm would definitely have come in handy there. I believe the radios the agency had at the time were the HT750s as well. And we utilized the listen only earpieces for the sake of keeping transmissions concealed. If the shoulder mic is utilized, a no-brainer accessory, IMO, would be a listen only earpiece.

Comment

I agree, a body alarm would definitely have come in handy there. I believe the radios the agency had at the time were the HT750s as well. And we utilized the listen only earpieces for the sake of keeping transmissions concealed. If the shoulder mic is utilized, a no-brainer accessory, IMO, would be a listen only earpiece.
            A decent cell phone is a good tool to have as well. Like I said, there's some stuff you don't want anyone with a scanner to be able to hear.
            Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Glad you're ok but in a situation like that I'd rather have a walkie-talkie that automatically sent a duress signal. The walkie-talkies the Montreal Police have, have a red button on top. When they presss it the walkie-talkie # shows up on the dispatcher's computer screen with an alarm. Our transit Security has (had? they just changed them) walkie-talkies with a "man-down" feature. When the walkie-talkue was laid on it's side it would automatically send out the duress signal.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I've had my fair share of confrontations where the first thing they grab is the cord. Thats why I prefer the throat mics. They're hard to reach, and pretty difficult to be used against you. Most of the equipment is worn underneath your gear.

Comment

If you use the mic on your epaulette, pake sure that button on the side is facing your head. There have been a coulp times when one of us has been using both hands on someone or something and his only way to call for help was to press that button with the side of his jaw. Comes in real handy if your holding someone down and someone calls you. At times I use the listen-only ear bud; I tuck the cord under my collar and it's almost invisible.
                  Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

Originally posted by buck View Post
                    If you use the mic on your epaulette, pake sure that button on the side is facing your head. There have been a coulp times when one of us has been using both hands on someone or something and his only way to call for help was to press that button with the side of his jaw. Comes in real handy if your holding someone down and someone calls you. At times I use the listen-only ear bud; I tuck the cord under my collar and it's almost invisible.
                    That's an idea and hadn't really thought of before. Thanks for the advice. My button has always faced my head, but just because that was the most efficient position for me to reach it with either hand, preferably my off-hand or non-gun hand. I will have to practice hitting the button with the side of my jaw. I like to learn new things like this simply to perform better in a clutch.

Comment

I do not recommend the mic be placed on your shoulder. The mic should be placed in the middle of your chest for easy access by both hands in case you are handcuffing someone, drawing your baton, drawing your OC, drawing your handgun, or are going hands-on with someone. I do not recommend that your mic cord behind your back, underneath your epaulette and to the middle of your chest as it will be easier for someone to strangle you. I recommend having the mic cord go to the opposite side, and be placed to the middle of your chest.

There are radio mic uniform shirt holders that will stay on your button line, and they work great.
                      sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

I've also run into the cord being used A: To try and kill me, or B: To try and pull me closer. ( All in Correctional Setting )

The body alarm was a good idea, but instead of immediate response, all I ever got was "Central to 102, did you hit your body alarm?" or "Central to 102... You ok?" Which is great... except when fighting with an inmate, and you can no longer reach the blasted radio / mic, or in the case of another Officer, he was getting beaten with the radio.

The only drawback to the Mic where I'm at now ( Factory) is it makes it easier for immature Officers to key up, scratch the mic, burp into it, and sing "I'm Sexy and I Know It" like a five year old boy on helium
                        "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X