Radio Mic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Mic?

Starting a new position in the next few weeks. Currently we use cell phones at my present employer, the new one uses radios (yay!!!). Considering some of the work involved, I'd like to see if they will let me use a speaker mic. Any pros/cons for the use of one? Any suggestions for a decent one that would work with a standard polo shirt?

Most important consideration is, what works with the issued radio(s)?
    "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by 5423 View Post
      Most important consideration is, what works with the issued radio(s)?
      True enough. Just trying to get a sense from those that use them what are the good and bad points? I can see a lot of value in not juggling something around, better hearing.

Comment

Speaker mics are great, no cons.
        ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

They pose a certain safety risk since the cord can be used to strangle you while in a fight. If you're just working in a shack, or low security post, then don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
            Speaker mics are great, no cons.
            Agreed! Only downsides I've ever run across:

- Some makes/models of radio (eg: BK, Raycon, etc) burn thru batteries faster when using speaker mics... but these aren't common radios in LE or security.

- There's always some dingbat in the organization that thinks a speaker mic is indestructable, and can be used as a yo-yo, a "leash" for setting the radio down (yes, I've seen this many times!), etc, and ultimately screws up the wiring/connections.

- You see a lot of folks wearing their speaker mic on their epaulets, with wire draped across their chest, etc.

Going out on a limb here, I always advise my troops to run the wire under their arm, and clip the mic to to the center of the shirt at the opening of the collar; this way, as you transmit, you're still looking straight at your focus area. Not everyone does it, but when transmitting with a mic clipped to the shoulder, a lot of folks angle their head down toward the mic - and their eyes leave their "target". Mic on the collar also keeps your hands closer to your centerline.
            Last edited by 5423; 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM.
            "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

Speaker mic's for the win, IMHO...

Without one, the radio face mounted speaker will likely be 3 feet from your head on your belt, and facing to your left or right rear when someone calls you; not a problem if you are a single officer in a quiet enough area to hear the call, but if you happen to be over 45 like me (just sayin'), hearing issues come into play, particularly if you are patrolling a hotel corridor at 0330 and the front desk calls you and the radio volume is up...

"FRONT DESK TO SECURITY, CAN YOU BRING A BATH TOWEL TO ROOM 324?"

Guests for 15 rooms down the hall LOVE to hear that that early in the morning, particularly the ones with the yappy, beef jerky legged micro-dogs that bark for 4 hours after hearing your radio, and want to be comp'd an extra night for the disturbance...
              “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
              "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by Security Chief View Post
                They pose a certain safety risk since the cord can be used to strangle you while in a fight. If you're just working in a shack, or low security post, then don't worry about it.
                I wouldn't worry about it at all. The chance of this happening is really rare. In fact, I worked for a concert security company and we regularly got in conflicts with patrons and not one of us ever got strangled with a mic. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I can't find one instance of it ever actually occurring.

To the OP: I would consider a 2-wire set-up instead of a speaker mic. Mostly for the noise factor. We used them at my university for all security personnel so our conversations were kept private. When we are dealing with a fire or a medical emergency, we certainly don't want everyone in earshot knowing what is going on.
                A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Originally posted by CTEXSEC1 View Post
                  I wouldn't worry about it at all. The chance of this happening is really rare. In fact, I worked for a concert security company and we regularly got in conflicts with patrons and not one of us ever got strangled with a mic. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I can't find one instance of it ever actually occurring.

To the OP: I would consider a 2-wire set-up instead of a speaker mic. Mostly for the noise factor. We used them at my university for all security personnel so our conversations were kept private. When we are dealing with a fire or a medical emergency, we certainly don't want everyone in earshot knowing what is going on.

I've always been confused: how do the wires run? Some I have seen look pretty well set up and professional but I'm going to go with the center clip since I will have a standard polo-no shoulder wear.

I'm going to be 3rd shift at a corporate campus...not sure about noise. But I have thought about the ear piece.

Comment

Originally posted by lo2w View Post
                    I've always been confused: how do the wires run? Some I have seen look pretty well set up and professional but I'm going to go with the center clip since I will have a standard polo-no shoulder wear.

I'm going to be 3rd shift at a corporate campus...not sure about noise. But I have thought about the ear piece.
                    I run the wires under my shirt and clip onto my collar.
                    A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Radio Mics

We carry used radio mics for the HTX motorola models, we als carry the Tactical Mic Keeper for only $9.95. Check it out at shop.estactical.com. Thanks

Comment

Work had a few shoulder mic's stashed away in a file cabinet. Our radios use the mike that have corresponding holes/pins to to the radio and screw onto the hand held.

Really loved using them the last few nights. Before, I was clipping the radio to my pants pocket, following the lead of others. Seemed to work but kind of annoying to keep taking the radio on and off if I went to sit down or get in the car. With the mic, I was able to to wear the radio more securely on my belt, never had to take it off and could respond on the radio very easily.

I'll snag the model numbers of the radio and mic this week and look at getting my own mic. We have 3 buildings and a staffed truck entrance on site, so I may not always end or start where the mics are kept.

Comment

While I love mics, one downside is if your radios have keypads that you have to use. Taking the radio off your belt constantly to use the pad just has the wire getting in the way.

BTW, there are also mics that have plugs on them for an earphone, so no noise broadcastiing down the hall but you can talk into the mic. Be sure to get an earphone with a very short or coiled cord if using these.

Your big issue will be what works with the radio you are using.

Also, be aware, some radios that have the ability to use mics have to have the mic activated in the programming.

Comment

We have the nmn6193c remote speaker Mic with our Motorola ht1000s works fine for me.

Comment

I would highly recommend the DEVGRU Operator Throat Mic. I've been using one for about 3 years now and it has been exceptional. I work the night shift at my site and it helps with noise discipline. Depending on your job, and if your supervisor allows it, this is the way to go.

They make several models that are compatible with most radios, and they blend in great with polos!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X