X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTEXSEC1
    replied
    Originally posted by davidmoore View Post
    My advice is, are you prepared to lost your job and are you sure that at the moment some company will absorb or hire you knowing what you have done. I agree with someone here saying the right thing may not be the wise thing. What ever your decision may be, I just hope it will turn out all good for you.
    Well...yes, I was prepared to lose the job. I quit the moment I found out I was being screwed over. As far as another company knowing...I don't have to disclose that.

Leave a comment:

• davidmoore
    replied
    My advice is, are you prepared to lost your job and are you sure that at the moment some company will absorb or hire you knowing what you have done. I agree with someone here saying the right thing may not be the wise thing. What ever your decision may be, I just hope it will turn out all good for you.

Leave a comment:

• CTEXSEC1
    replied
    Well...the problem has been removed.

Leave a comment:

• ptbeast
    replied
    Every state's DOL handles this type of situation differently. In my experience however, unless there are a large number of claims against a single employer, a claim such as yours that has already been resolved is not likely to be investigated. The reason is that employees must have their claims investigated before they can sue the employer, so active claims take priority.

That said, if you feel strongly about it, go ahead and file. You lose nothing but a little time.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• FireRanger
    replied
    This profession is about honor, integrity, and trustworthyness. That means you have to do the right thing, even when no one is looking, so yes go to the state and file a formal complaint, let them know that when you brought it to the HR Directors attention that he/she corrected the problem, this should help to avoid the company itself from being directly threatened by the .gov. As Nate said, they have done it you, they have done it to others, you are probably one of the few people who went and complained. This payroll guy is doing this stuff because he can take advantage of people who need a job and can't find another job anywhere else in this economy.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Check with the DOL to make sure it meets their investigative threshold. Sometimes its as low as 500 dollars. However... If they did it to you, they've done it to others. So, yes.

Leave a comment:

• RoboGuard
    replied
    Some people say the right thing to do isn't always the wise thing to do. The reputation of being a whistle blower could maket things difficult if ur looking to work for some one else and they hear about this.

On the other hand if you do this then you may save this from happening to some other poor sap.

The bottom line is what do you hope to acomplish and is it worth the possible. repercussions.

I know that some employers will do what yours did but they'll just pay it in straight cash to avoid payroll tax. Which is fine with some people.....just not uncle sam.

This is a decision that if you decide to move forward with could do a lot of good for others but may back fire on you.

Leave a comment:

• CTEXSEC1
    started a topic Should I still go to the state?

Should I still go to the state?

Hey Y'all,

Recently an employer of mine, I contract with two security companies, altered my time sheet to avoid having to pay overtime. This is a violation of both state and federal law. I quit on the spot (it is, after all, blatant theft and abuse of authority) and reported it to the HR director. I am being paid for my OT and the situation is pretty much being covered. However, I am wondering if I should still take this to the state labor board even if the employer has corrected the error. In my opinion, the supervisor who ordered the alteration should be investigated/penalized by the state, but I am not sure if that is the best route.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X