Plagarism or Industrial Espionage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plagarism or Industrial Espionage?

I have a few questions about releasing internal company documents to the internet, as well as attempting to sanitize them by removing company logos.

First, a little background. One of our new members, scops8273, is posting numerous links to his Yahoo! Groups group, "Security Resource Network." Having browsed their files section, I made an interesting discovery:

Most of the files have been lifted off Securitas sites. Including Securitas Post Orders, client internal accident reports, and training materials.

What do we consider this, when you take something from your employer, remove their logo, and save it as a Word Document? Especially when you are not adept enough to conceal the truth author's identity, especially on corporate versions of Microsoft Office where the information is stored in the "Properties" file.

Anyway, the results of my cursory evaluation, by file:

1. LP 4 - Report Writing.doc
    Properties Listing:
    Title: SIXTH FEDERAL RESERVE DISTRICT
    Author: Federal Reserve Bank

2. SITE TRAINING ASSESSMENT RECORD.doc
    Properties Listing:
    Author: Pinkerton
    Company: Securitas

3. TRAINING TRACKING SHEET.doc
    Properties Listing:
    Author: KEITH CARNAHAN (Who is this person?)

4. EMERGENCY PLAN DEVELOPMENT.doc
    Properties Listing:
    Author: Keith Carnahan
    Title: Burns Emergency Plan

5. TRAFFIC ACCIDENT REPORT.doc
    Properties Listing:
    Author: Keith Carahan

References:
    Cliffs Communities

6. Patrolling Parking Lots Garages.doc
    SQL Database: C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Burns April 19\Merged Fields.doc
    Numerous references to Securitas Supervisor, Securitas, etc.

I think I'm done here.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Why can't it be both?
    www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

if i felt evil.... i would say one propose that maybe some one should call such said companies, for i know there are legal laws that state at least in california and in utah, that those docs are not to be reviled to anyone but the client and or contract company, unless request to be released to the public is athourized by a judge, as far as i know, those docs being on the net is illegal as it compromises client information with is a vunerability to the property owners. but thats my .02
      When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

Comment

With permission of the company - obviously no problem.

Without, likely a violation of company confidentiality at a minimum.
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Documents

Considering that these companies no longer exist and the information on these documents can and have proved useful, no harm or no laws have been broken. Most of the forms used by Securitas I have created over time. So in a sense I own the rights to those forms. Post orders are a bit different. Burns Security no longer exists and Securitas uses another style of post orders which is a computer based template which is a different form from what we used before. This group has amazed me in some of the views you all have about the security industry as a whole. It is no wonder that the security industry has no real professionalism or even a glimmer of optimism. This is truly amazing. I have helped allot of people. There are allot of best practices of security companies that we can all benefit from and you have some better ideas just let me know. I am always looking for ways to provide added value service to my client and improve the industry by any mean possible. Thanks guys.

Jeff
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by scops8273
            Considering that these companies no longer exist and the information on these documents can and have proved useful, no harm or no laws have been broken. Most of the forms used by Securitas I have created over time. So in a sense I own the rights to those forms. Post orders are a bit different. Burns Security no longer exists and Securitas uses another style of post orders which is a computer based template which is a different form from what we used before. This group has amazed me in some of the views you all have about the security industry as a whole. It is no wonder that the security industry has no real professionalism or even a glimmer of optimism. This is truly amazing. I have helped allot of people. There are allot of best practices of security companies that we can all benefit from and you have some better ideas just let me know. I am always looking for ways to provide added value service to my client and improve the industry by any mean possible. Thanks guys.

Jeff
            [email protected]
            Jeff,
            I disagree with you. You say “we” and our industry has “no real professionalism or even a glimmer of optimism.” Yet here we have you posting information and forms that may or may not be from now defunct companies. One of the members of this forum came forward and asked our opinion on something that could really impact the opinion people have of our industry and gave his reason for his beliefs. Plagiarism or industrial espionage is a major problem. You now have your chance to rebut his thought process. That sounds rather professional and optimistic if you ask me .
            www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541
              Jeff,
              I disagree with you. You say “we” and our industry has “no real professionalism or even a glimmer of optimism.” Yet here we have you posting information and forms that may or may not be from now defunct companies. One of the members of this forum came forward and asked our opinion on something that could really impact the opinion people have of our industry and gave his reason for his beliefs. Plagiarism or industrial espionage is a major problem. You now have your chance to rebut his thought process. That sounds rather professional and optimistic if you ask me .

I concur, because i do know pinkerton operates under that name out here, and the same for burns :P they have not gone to "securitas" yet... not fully any way they are still in transition..

But even so, up to seven years after a company is "Defunction, in some states it is against the law to post "legal paperwork", which that is because it
              is paper work that was used by the "companies", and therefore is still their property, so therefore even if you did "invent the format", when you decided to allow the company to put "their" logo on it, it became their own.

now i do have some forms that i made back in 2003, for when i decide to launch myself a company, if i ever do, that are rather nice looking, ill have to look for the floppy and maybe share them with you, as the have my "fictional/future company name and logo on em your free to use em in anyway you would chose"... since i dont have a 3.5 floppy on this pc, ill have to go down to the local libary to access that disk, and hopefully the data hasnt gotten destroyed...

Comment

Well most of the forms were created by me when I was supervisor at a gated community; we had little contact with our branch office, so we were autonomous most of the time. So you may see some reference to the Cliffs Communities because that is where the form was first used, that particular form I have shared the format with several large sites with approximately the same patrol format. They were able to change the locations and use the form because it served their purpose and made the job easier. The post order I believe are a best practices format that can be used anywhere Burns security had a great format for post orders. The training modules seem to have best practices of multiple companies and sharing the ideas contained in those documents has been a life saver for me and others. Particularly the report writing, I had 83 of my incident reports and DARs taken to court and not one report was disputed. Using these processes really has helped my officers become better report writers. The client was greatly appreciative as well. I have added some things or taken out non essential information. But as you say, make your own judgments. Use it or don't that’s what it comes down to. I created these forms from scratch, using some references from best practices found at other agencies because at that particular time we had no support from our office.

I just see allot of negativity in this group. The more I read the more stressed and depressing it seems. I’ve talked with allot of officers and allot of them have the same feelings it is just amazing. We got to learn to let some things go. We can never achieve anything as long as the majority of the industry feels the way it seems in this group. Again that is my opinion on the overall aspect of the group and the industry. We have been tasked by Securitas to lead the industry in what ever means necessary. I create these forms and produce the best practices from multiple companies. If it works why not use it and adapt it to the program? Plagiarism or industrial espionage is a little extreme.

My two cents anyway. Have a good day everyone!!!!!

Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541
                Jeff,

Comment

Thanks

That would be great. I love looking at the best practices form officers and other companies. Thanks.

Originally posted by IB107
                  I concur, because i do know pinkerton operates under that name out here, and the same for burns :P they have not gone to "securitas" yet... not fully any way they are still in transition..

But even so, up to seven years after a company is "Defunction, in some states it is against the law to post "legal paperwork", which that is because it
                  is paper work that was used by the "companies", and therefore is still their property, so therefore even if you did "invent the format", when you decided to allow the company to put "their" logo on it, it became their own.

now i do have some forms that i made back in 2003, for when i decide to launch myself a company, if i ever do, that are rather nice looking, ill have to look for the floppy and maybe share them with you, as the have my "fictional/future company name and logo on em your free to use em in anyway you would chose"... since i dont have a 3.5 floppy on this pc, ill have to go down to the local libary to access that disk, and hopefully the data hasnt gotten destroyed...

Comment

Well most of the forms were created by me when I was supervisor at a gated community; we had little contact with our branch office, so we were autonomous most of the time. So you may see some reference to the Cliffs Communities because that is where the form was first used, that particular form I have shared the format with several large sites with approximately the same patrol format. They were able to change the locations and use the form because it served their purpose and made the job easier. The post order I believe are a best practices format that can be used anywhere Burns security had a great format for post orders. The training modules seem to have best practices of multiple companies and sharing the ideas contained in those documents has been a life saver for me and others. Particularly the report writing, I had 83 of my incident reports and DARs taken to court and not one report was disputed. Using these processes really has helped my officers become better report writers. The client was greatly appreciative as well. I have added some things or taken out non essential information. But as you say, make your own judgments. Use it or don't that’s what it comes down to. I created these forms from scratch, using some references from best practices found at other agencies because at that particular time we had no support from our office.

I just see allot of negativity in this group. The more I read the more stressed and depressing it seems. I’ve talked with allot of officers and allot of them have the same feelings it is just amazing. We got to learn to let some things go. We can never achieve anything as long as the majority of the industry feels the way it seems in this group. Again that is my opinion on the overall aspect of the group and the industry. We have been tasked by Securitas to lead the industry in what ever means necessary. I create these forms and produce the best practices from multiple companies. If it works why not use it and adapt it to the program? Plagiarism or industrial espionage is a little extreme.

Okay nothing wrong with your opinions but im pretty optimistic, ive just worked for a company that was more or less "warm bodies is all that matters"
                    i dont know if you have ever worked for a company like that, but if you havent youll then gain the eyes of gloom if thats what you want to call it...

But now with my new company although im required to purchase everything i use uniforms,duty belts, rent of radios, non-lethal weps(etc) although we are a small company, and work some of the most dangerous accounts in the area,
                    i really enjoy what i do, i appercaite life more, i enjoy my job, my current company is ran like a "small pd" we even have a "substation" lol... if you dont believe me, ill ask my boss if its okay to take a pic of it, and if so ill post it on the internet :P

Comment

Now that response was much better than your first.

That being said, I have looked through your some of your files....and some of them are quite good. I do like the time sheet.

And to address something you posted earlier….. I think we do need to talk about the negative side to our industry. Do we need to concentrate on it? No. We do need to acknowledge it as well as the positive sides. If we ignore it then we will be able to do nothing to correct it and improve our image.
                      www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Yes I have been there. Working for a company called American Security is that way with most of its site. The biggest local competition, but certainly not the best to work for. I think working for a small company can be better than a large corporate company. Securitas use to empower their employs, but now that’s not the case. When I worked as a patrolman for a number of years we were small but growing. We had to buy everything as well. Thanks! Talk to you later!

Originally posted by IB107
                        Okay nothing wrong with your opinions but im pretty optimistic, ive just worked for a company that was more or less "warm bodies is all that matters"
                        i dont know if you have ever worked for a company like that, but if you havent youll then gain the eyes of gloom if thats what you want to call it...

But now with my new company although im required to purchase everything i use uniforms,duty belts, rent of radios, non-lethal weps(etc) although we are a small company, and work some of the most dangerous accounts in the area,
                        i really enjoy what i do, i appercaite life more, i enjoy my job, my current company is ran like a "small pd" we even have a "substation" lol... if you dont believe me, ill ask my boss if its okay to take a pic of it, and if so ill post it on the internet :P

Comment

Jeff
                          [email protected]
                          1) Burns and Pinkerton were bought out by Securitas. Everything that was once owned by them, is now owned by Securitas.

2) If you created those forms for Securitas, then guess what... they belong to Securitas.

3) You had no complaints about this group until NA brought up the legality of the documents. So your response is merely a defensive reaction with you trying to save face.

I'm not trying to open up a heated debate, but you yourself have to recgonize that your actions might not exactly be legal. If Securitas Corporate in Chicago were to find out, what would they say? If they might kick up some dust, perhaps you should tweak your forms to simply cover your backside.
                          Last edited by davis002; 05-28-2006, 03:45 PM.
                          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

What ever!

Look you guys go ahead and stew in here with your man of the action thing. Grumble about how bad things are in the security industry and who can do who. Wow! Some of you brats just need to let things go! I really don't need to explain anything to anybody. What ever. I thought this might be a good group, but it's nothing but a collection of cry babies, “gloom and doom”, “oh my God things totally suck, somebody needs to do something but its no use”, on and on. Any positive change suggested and you guys go off on some deep end into the abyss. Sorry I even clicked onto the group, you guys are to too depressing and stressful to have any meaningful conversations. I really think this group should be quarantined, clean this place up for God sake, you guys don't need to infect the rest of the industry because things are bad enough without this dark cloud. So, you guys and a wonderful, zippady-do-da-day, and we will talk to you later. Make sure you post this around.

And you junior can take your threats at the risk of being somewhat unprofessional and stick them in your ass!!! By the way they are closed Monday.

Tootles!

Originally posted by davis002
                            1) Burns and Pinkerton were bought out by Securitas. Everything that was once owned by them, is now owned by Securitas.

2) If you created those forms for Securitas, then guess what... they belong to Securitas.

3) You had no complaints about this group until we called you out. So your response is merely a defensive reaction with you trying to save face.

I honestly wonder what securitas corporate in chicago would have to say? Do we want to do that, no... but if you give us a reason to, we might as well.

Comment

Look you guys go ahead and stew in here with your man of the action thing. Grumble about how bad things are in the security industry and who can do who. Wow! Some of you brats just need to let things go! I really don't need to explain anything to anybody. What ever. I thought this might be a good group, but it's nothing but a collection of cry babies, “gloom and doom”, “oh my God things totally suck, somebody needs to do something but its no use”, on and on. Any positive change suggested and you guys go off on some deep end into the abyss. Sorry I even clicked onto the group, you guys are to too depressing and stressful to have any meaningful conversations. I really think this group should be quarantined, clean this place up for God sake, you guys don't need to infect the rest of the industry because things are bad enough without this dark cloud. So, you guys and a wonderful, zippady-do-da-day, and we will talk to you later. Make sure you post this around.

And you junior can take your threats at the risk of being somewhat unprofessional and stick them in your ass!!! By the way they are closed Monday.

Tootles!
                              Scops8273:
                              Nathan was just trying to do you a favor and keep you out of legal trouble. You may have taken Intellectual properties from them without their written consent. You may be subject to criminal sanctions which could mean jail time plus a hefty fine. What you have worked so hard to acquire may suddenly taken from you not to mention your freedom.
                              Those of us who may be tempted to use the information by scops8273, would be will advised not to do so. The hole only deepens.
                              Nathan, thank you for putting all of us on notice.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X