Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennsix
    replied
    Well, it was university HR not PD HR but that was still a low blow.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    That's sad. Remember that the next time your employer wants a favor.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ozsecuritychic
    replied
    if you havent got anyone else to work at least dock his pay for the time he was unavailable.and give him a written warning.i of the guards that does the 6-12 shift was standing against the wall at the mall sound asleep the other male guard walked straight up to him and pushed him over.the guard that pushed him got an offical warning and now does not have his job i do.the bloke that was asleep also thought that cause he had a second job during the day he was entitled to a longer break.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Worse thing was he left the room dirty. Management found out that someone had slept there the next day when they asked us to audit the electronic lock. I tempted to fire him just because he is not smart enough not to get caught!
    Charge him for the room.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Worse thing was he left the room dirty. Management found out that someone had slept there the next day when they asked us to audit the electronic lock. I tempted to fire him just because he is not smart enough not to get caught!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
    ..... In the case mentioned the guard wandered into a hotel room. I have a problem with this as it shows he wanted to sleep. I would personally give him his paycheck and tell him to turn his uniforms in as we don't have a place for him.
    Throw in a pillow to.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ledgerwood
    replied
    I would look at the whole situation before making a determination on discipline. Granted, I hate it when people sleep on duty but need to ask myself why? Has the officer been working a lot of double shifts or overtime? If so, then this might be a management issue and he shouldn't be disciplined. Is there a health issue involved? If this were the case, I would suspend him without pay pending a doctors appointment. I say without pay not to be harsh but if your not getting a paycheck that should motivate you to get your butt into a doctor asap. Is the officer just switching shifts (i.e. from days to graves)? This isn't a good excuse but one needs to remember the human element, in my case I would probably send him home for the night. Is he working a second job? In this case I would fire him as his second work is interfering with this job. Family problems? This can be the trickiest because of mental stress. This might require a sit down with the officer and discuss the situation. Might tell him to take a couple of days off to work things out. Lazy? Well I don't tolerate laziness, bye bye. The bottom line is there are some bona fide reasons why someone might be sleeping on duty that need to be looked at. Obviously if the guard wanders off to find a nice comfy spot thats different than accidentally nodding off. In the case mentioned the guard wandered into a hotel room. I have a problem with this as it shows he wanted to sleep. I would personally give him his paycheck and tell him to turn his uniforms in as we don't have a place for him. Granted, you will be shorthanded, but then you are shorthanded when hes sleeping on duty anyways so it wont be a difference. Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Tried posting to this thread, but I got a database error. Attempting to repost to the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    That happened when I was on Hurricane Duty in Louisiana. One of our guards went to sleep in his car so some of the local deputies put black trash bags over his windows, when he woke up he was confused and didnt know what the hell was going on.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    I recall a story about an officer sleeping on duty, on the night shift. Other officers applied several layers of wet newspapers to the car windows. The newspapers kept the sunlight from coming in and the officer slept until 0900. The shifted ended at 0700.
    LOL I hope he didn't put in for two hours of overtime

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    I recall a story about an officer sleeping on duty, on the night shift. Other officers applied several layers of wet newspapers to the car windows. The newspapers kept the sunlight from coming in and the officer slept until 0900. The shifted ended at 0700.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Tennsix

If you have some guardhouses near your site and you notice that the guard is asleep, hit 'em with your spotlight and siren. Let the laughs begin!

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
    From stories I have heard...

At my site we have to posts, one officer works console in the lobby of our warehouse and another one works at a gate house in a truck yard. We are both on 24/7 365. In the guardhouse, aside from 3am-6am they work with 2-4 truck dispatchers. I have heard before in the past the guardhouse officer has fallen asleep and when the dispatchers arrived they didnt do anything in the way of waking him up and just went to work to have him wake up on his own.

I could not imagine the embarrassment.
    You have to be conscious to be embarrassed.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Way back in the mid 1970's I worked in the summers for Pinkerton. I was assigned to a sugar refinery. There were 3 posts within the refinery. Each post was manned by 2 people. We worked 12 hour shifts. We had to do 1 patrol an hour. One guard would patrol, one would stay in the guardhouse. We had one guard who worked full time in the day in the coroners office & 12 hours at night with us. He had it arranged with the bosses that he would do his 6 patrols in a row & would sleep the other 6 hours of his shift. It sure made my 6 hours boring waiting for my turn to do the patols.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X