No announcement yet.

Sleeping on the job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this reminds me of a time 10 years ago when a security guard was found asleep in the basement of the building I worked at with an obscene video playing on a tv screen and a beer in his lunch pack.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

I remember a supervisor advising me that he found a guy fondling himself while watching a ****ographic movie in the client's office at a construction site.

The supervsior called for another supervisor, and waited before confronting him.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

This is my weapon. This is my gun...
        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
        -Lieutenant Commander Data
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
          This is my weapon. This is my gun...
          This is for killing, this is for fun...

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            This is for killing, this is for fun...
            Ugh bringing back Parris Island memories.........

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
              Ugh bringing back Parris Island memories.........
              One of my bosses was Provost Marshall there.
              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
              -Lieutenant Commander Data
              sigpic

Comment

Know a guy local who was a DI assigned to rehabilitate or babysit non-hackers. He said it was the worst job ever.

Comment

I remember a supervisor advising me that he found a guy fondling himself while watching a ****ographic movie in the client's office at a construction site.

The supervsior called for another supervisor, and waited before confronting him.
                  Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. If I were his supervisor, I would have had him arrested him for lewd conduct.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. If I were his supervisor, I would have had him arrested him for lewd conduct.
                    Unfortunately, prove that it happened?

You could wait for SPPD to arrive, but then think of the media issue. The Saint Petersburg Times, like many newspapers, reads the police reports every night.

St. Petersburg (AP) -- A security guard in St. Petersburg was arrested for lewd and lacivious conduct last night, at a mobile home construction company. First Name Last Name, a guard working for Company Name, was found by Saint Petersburg Police Officers who responded to a call of lewd conduct. Last Name was taken to the Pinellas County Jail, and charged with one count of Lewd and Lacivious Behavior, a felony. Owner's Name, the owner of Company Name, was quoted as saying, "We have professional security officers. I don't know how this happened." Lt. Bob Barker of the Largo Police Department for an opinion, as a recongized expert on contract security in the Bay Area, who was quoted as saying, "Its what you get with those security guards. They're not trained, they're not screened, they're not hired. Don't forget, this guy had a gun." Multiple staff writers contributed to this report.

A few things for those of you not in the area to understand:
                    St. Petersburg Times is the local right-wing paper. The Tampa Tribune, solidly left-wing, would print even worse. They have a hard-on for several companies out there, as their buddies with one perticular company, there's no other way to put it.

The Largo Police Department having a hard-on for my former employer (at the time) is an understatement of grave proportions. There was only one thing LPD hated more than us, and that was the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

My boss would of given them a wall of text, carefully prepared. And they would of taken two sentiencees out of it.

And, when we would do something, we were never mentioned. Police officers discovered it, police officers did this, etc. It maintains the status quo.

Oh, and they LOVED naming our sites, by address. So, you also embaress the client. Imagine if you were the client, and YOUR client declined to sit in any chair in the place, for fear of catching cooties from the guard wacking off in the chair the night before.

Comment

Like you said, you had a witness. Also, one shouldn't allow the press to dictate the proper course. He would still go to jail if it were up to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                        Like you said, you had a witness. Also, one shouldn't allow the press to dictate the proper course. He would still go to jail if it were up to me.
                        True, but what if the jailing cost your company the account due to the bad publicity, or multiple accounts?

Unfortunately, everyone needs spin.

Comment

True, but what if the jailing cost your company the account due to the bad publicity, or multiple accounts?

Unfortunately, everyone needs spin.
                          It's gonna hurt, no doubt about it. Hopefully, other clients will view it as an example of no tolerance when core values are at stake.

Comment

To illustrate.

Recently, a s/o who worked for the same company I did was arrested for marijuana possession with intent to sell, within a school zone at the school where he was assigned to help with traffic. The account manager discovered what he was doing before the police were aware of it. He made the tough decision to call the police and have him arrested. Yes, we were in the news, but it had to be done.

Comment

Someone I used to know who had done Security work for a long time, told me that eventually they figured out a way to purposely sleep on the job if they just had to. Trick was not getting caught...so they told me that the only place they could go to and be alone was the toilet...because no one is going to go in there...and they could always say their stomach hurt, they said. That is if you could sleep sitting up.

Anyway...that's the only "sleeping on the job" story I have heard personally.
                              I've been working as a Security Officer for almost 3 years. Worked for Wackenhut as a Custom Protection Officer (CPO) and Securitas where I was a SGT. and Site Supervisor. I am currently employed by Guardsmark. I have worked as security in a hospital dealing with Baker Acts, the Morgue, fire, etc and Beach Resorts dealing with Spring Breakers in Panama City, Florida and even worked as a uniformed Loss Prevention Officer in a major department store using CCTV....

Comment

We''ve recently had a problem at our worksite with sleeping on duty. One officer sleeps nearly every night on her 12 hour shift. A couple weeks ago one of the plant empoyees walked up on her snoring loudly in her chair at the security desk and shouted at her to "WAKE UP". Well that kicked off a shouting match between the contract security officer and the employee that escalated into formal complaints on both sides. The officer wrote a 3 page rambling report in which she admitted to sleeping but then stated that the plant employee was a hypocrite who also sometime sleeps on the job. This isn't the first time that this SO has admitted to sleeping. She actually told the HR/Security director for the client company that she sometimes sleeps on shift but "not all the time". She should have been fired then but wasn't. Since the security desk is located in the same building where this other employee works she's had several other problems with the same officer.
                                The SO comes to work and plays movies on her DVD player all night.
                                Patrol rounds are supposed to be alternated by the 2 SOs on duty but this one refuses to do her rounds leaving them all to her work partner. Professional apperance? Forget it. She sits at the security desk with her shirt untucked, her shoes kicked off and her feet propped up on a second chair.
                                The results of all this drama?
                                She got called into a meeting with the clients and our company bosses. She somehow kept her job and our company kept our account. All AM/FM radios, DVD players, personal electronics and reading material banned from the work area. There was a list of other things including reaffirmation that Sleeping is Not Allowed. No selling AVON products which she also does on the job. Make rounds, log things down, yada yada yada.
                                What's changed? Not much for me since I don't listen to music anyway and can live without movies for 12 hours in a row. My work partner and I were already making regular patrols and showing up properly dressed. Has the other 'problem' officer changed her ways? I was told today by a plant employee who works the nights she's on shift that the SO is still kicking her shoes off, plugging in her DVD player and making everynight a movie night before nodding off for her nap.
                                Some people simply refuse to do the minimum that the job requires. Then the rest of us are caught up in it and get dragged down with them.
                                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X