No announcement yet.

Tailored Insurance for Guard Industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailored Insurance for Guard Industry?

Ok, I'm wondering where folks are getting insurance from. As part of the licensing requirement for WI, I have to have a policy in force attached to the application for the PI agency license.

This is making things exceptionally amusing because most of the area insurance companies have no idea how to do speciality insurance, and in consultation with a few folks, there are special riders that are specific to the guard service industry, such as errors and omissions, use of force, use of chemical irritant, use of firearms, and failure to perform background check.

I found the "Brownyard Group," but they have an interesting minimum premium structure, $3,500 dollars minimum premium for a $1,000,000 policy, which I believe to be the minimum acceptable.

Anyone have any suggestions of pool carriers, insurance agencies, etc? I need quotations for the business plan. The carrier must take armed security.

An interesting source of information on liability and insurance I found was:
    http://www.schinnerer.com/risk_mgmt/...s/stnd0901.pdf
    Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 02-24-2006, 01:12 AM.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

N.A.,
    Did you ask the state licencing agency?
    The AGs office here gave me the name of a local insurance agent after I went the rounds myself. As you said most didn't have any idea what was required or only did LEOs.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
      N.A.,
      Did you ask the state licencing agency?
      The AGs office here gave me the name of a local insurance agent after I went the rounds myself. As you said most didn't have any idea what was required or only did LEOs.
      State agency can't recommend anyone. They give you a link (that no longer works) that shows every licensed broker in the state. Having sent a few messages to speciality carriers, it seems that you have to get the agent to play broker and write a pass-through policy. Just about every speciality insurance company I found replied: Hi. Please give our name to your local agent. Tell them your interested in our policy. We cannot recommend agents, nor can do we have coroporate agents.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by alston66
        Heres a link of insurance company that very reliable and affordable www.oneshopinsurance.com hope to help anyone here..
        So, alston66, are you telling me that your agency can write high-risk policies, where the insured takes on such duties as:

Protection of people
        Possession of firearms
        Low Income Housing protection
        Alarm Response
        Vehicle Patrol
        and
        Petrochemical Security

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          So, alston66, are you telling me that your agency can write high-risk policies, where the insured takes on such duties as:

Protection of people
          Possession of firearms
          Low Income Housing protection
          Alarm Response
          Vehicle Patrol
          and
          Petrochemical Security
          Sir im just suggesting it to you coz it may help you i dont know exactly what all of there service. My car is insured to them. But try to ask them..
          Be an independent nurse contractor | How to start a nursing agency | Start a nurse staffing agency

Comment

Sir im just suggesting it to you coz it may help you i dont know exactly what all of there service. My car is insured to them. But try to ask them..
            http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...read.php?t=642
            hi im Alston Curry an insurance agent hope you visit our site.. www.oneshopinsurance.com
            So, your not actually an insurance agent, and oneshopinsurance.com isn't your site? Make up your mind, please.

I would also note that anyone who does business with a company that can't get its line of advertising straight (Is he a lawyer, or does he just get his car insurance from them?) should carefully look at whatever they're sent. Because this individual seems to either be forgetful or decietful, and in either case shouldn't be trusted with insurance matters.

I do note that the owner of the domain has had the whois information changed to a "securewhois" company, which provides a layer of obscurity. So, who knows who actually owns this domain - or this company.
            Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 04-04-2006, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Unarmed Accounts

N.A.,

I know that you want to operate an armed company. From what I can discern, finding an insurer is especially difficult because of this. Why not start out as an unarmed company with the plan to eventually take on armed accounts? It may be easier then, because you will have an established relationship/track record with the insurance company when you decide to take that step. In the meantime, you will enjoy the benefits of having a cash flow for your company.

You shouldn't have any problems taking accounts away from some of these WBS companies. Once your reputation is established, you may have more work than you ever imagined.

Sometimes we have to make compromises and/or explore other options in order to get it "off the ground."
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                N.A.,

I know that you want to operate an armed company. From what I can discern, finding an insurer is especially difficult because of this. Why not start out as an unarmed company with the plan to eventually take on armed accounts? It may be easier then, because you will have an established relationship/track record with the insurance company when you decide to take that step. In the meantime, you will enjoy the benefits of having a cash flow for your company.

You shouldn't have any problems taking accounts away from some of these WBS companies. Once your reputation is established, you may have more work than you ever imagined.

Sometimes we have to make compromises and/or explore other options in order to get it "off the ground."
                My situation has changed, and another provider will most likely be doing the insurance issues. However, if you start out as an unarmed company, you'll still have to get another insurer once you go armed.

The other issue is that there are already plenty of unarmed companies in my area. Clients have to go across the state, or hire one of the big three, to get armed accounts.

Comment

It's not easy starting a business, and it's even harder with a security provider business. I'm glad that you have found a provider. Keep us posted.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Did you try a quote there?
                    Be an independent nurse contractor | How to start a nursing agency | Start a nurse staffing agency

Comment

Did you try a quote there?
                      Don't need to. I already have several quotes from AFI, none of them can provide the coverage I require, even in the independent pool.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X