What should one do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
    I find fault with Security Leader's analogy pertaining to management when moving up the chain. How does one manage what one doesn't understand? It is all well and good to have staff positions that provide the manager (leadership), but fundamental knowledge if essential.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    You still need to understand what is being done but you do not need to have the technical certification to manage the process. For instance, the manager of a wherehouse may not need to be a certified forklift operator where as someone who works for him does. Not being certified to operate a forklift doesn't detract from his ability to manage the processes and lead the people of the wherehouse.

At the same time the person who is driving the forklift doesn't really need to have an advanced understanding of where the company wants to be strategically in 3-5 years. The manager will have to have that understanding to successfully lead the company in the right direction.

I do agree with what you are saying though in that someone who knows absolutely nothing about a specific business can't really manage the business effectively. I said the higher up you go the less technical expertise you need. So first line supervisors still need a high level of technical expertise; the managers above them need a little less specific technical knowledge and it continues to decrease as you go up.

Comment

EDIT- Posting deleted.
      Last edited by Security; 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM.
      111th PAPD Class
      Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Comment

We have a saying here "Jack of all trades - master of none" which sums up many lines of work in our industry. A good understanding goes a long way but at the same time, any education is useless if not utilised or maintained which is why I no longer chase up every seminar or course for a few days of interest and a free lunch. Just don't have the time to spend with people trying to sell me stuff I may not need.
        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
          Yea, I work contract. I am not too clear on the in-house thing, never really lookd into it and have no real idea about where to start looking...
          Dougo i haven't seen many In house operations in Texas really. I know USAA has an in house operation however most companies even if they do an in house operation do it by just creating a separate security company. That has been my personal experience and what I have seen in the field anyway.

I wouldn't mind getting on with USAA's security team though.

Comment

Just some ideas . ..

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
            Yea, I work contract. I am not too clear on the in-house thing, never really lookd into it and have no real idea about where to start looking...
            Your in Austin right? For in house look at maybe Seton Healthcare, St. Davids Healthcare, Attorney Generals Office. Since your looking to maybe go LEO long run you may also want to look at Austin ISD, University of Texas, LCRA

Just some ideas . . .

Comment

badge...

LCRA would be my dream job. Unfortunately, college gets in the friggin way all the time. I am going to be looking into in-house operations here in the very near future. Thanks for the ideas.

BTW...what is USAA?

Comment

In Texas, what's the difference between commissioned and non? What are you allowed to carry? Detain or arrest rights? do they have off duty concealed weapon licenses? what are the requirements of training?
                THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
                  In Texas, what's the difference between commissioned and non? What are you allowed to carry? Detain or arrest rights? do they have off duty concealed weapon licenses? what are the requirements of training?
                  Non-Commissioned:
                  Can carry OC, Taser, Cuffs.
                  Have arrest rights for felonies in sight or view, public disturbance in presence or view and to prevent the conseuqences of theft.

Commissioned:
                  Same as above with the addition of carrying firearm (handgun or shotgun) and batons.

What is an "off duty concealed weapon license"?

As far as requirements:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/

Comment

thanks, off duty concealed is a concealed weapon license that general citizens can use to carry a concealed weapon but in fla our ccw license isn't useable while on duty as a pi or so,or recovery agent.
                    THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
                      thanks, off duty concealed is a concealed weapon license that general citizens can use to carry a concealed weapon but in fla our ccw license isn't useable while on duty as a pi or so,or recovery agent.

Oh ok, in TX it's just a CHL. We have reciprocity with FL. Ours is totally independent of security as well.

Comment

cool. I 've been out of work for awhile.and there''s no cdlpoitions open here. The security here pays $8.00/hr armed. checks late or bounce.I checked into a waterbourne security company in highlands,tx that seem to be out of business w/many complaints on them. Ever heard of seawolf marine patrol? Any ideas of finding a good armed job in Florida?

Comment

I thought it sounded too good tobe true. riding on boats while patrolling. I also checked into private security transporting prisoners. I applied ,but would have to move, as well. still waiting on response.

I'm also waiting to hear from an apartment complex who was technically looking for a live in cop.But I told them the state would allow me to work armed for them since I have licenses,if I were actually an employee, and not a contract position.

Comment

I think workin on the water would be cool for a while. I wonder if it would kill my love of boating though. Same thing happened when I worked as a mechanic, stopped enjoying tinkering on rods, thought it all felt like work...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X