Marketing Tip(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing Tip(s)

With all the focus on how the Internet helps us reach out globally, the fact is that most security companies, especially smaller ones, are local, and we might not think about the Internet as a local marketing tool.

This is all changing, driven in large part by the convergence of GPS, cell and other forms of wireless Internet access, with the emergence of what are called LBS or "location-based services". The Internet is now becoming a powerful LOCAL tool.

Google Maps will give you a glimpse into how LBS works, and you'll see that it is very useful as a marketing tool as well:

1. GM is searchable. Try "schools in <yourtown>", "construction in <yourtown>", "motels in <yourtown>", "malls in <yourtown>" or "manufacturing in <yourtown>". You can also use "near" instead of "in". Can you see how you might use this for marketing purposes? Note that you can save maps also.

If you're asking "Why not just use the Yellow Pages?", I'd just encourage you to think about the differences - not just the maps, but the ability to print out your search results without ripping pages out of your YP! But, there's another thing and it's much bigger. With GM, you'll get all results where a business has used your search term as a keyword...not just selected a certain "category" for its ad in the YP.

Example: When I searched on "motel in <mytown>", for instance, I came up not only with motels (first), but also other businesses - for instance, a company that specializes in building motels. Do you think that little tidbit of information would interest me if I were selling security to motels? Of course it would...and I defy you to try that in the Yellow Pages! Incidentally, this company is only listed in my YP under a couple of the construction-related categories, so I'd have never found them using the YP and thinking about the motel business.

You also get all results where your search term is part of the company name. In fact, try the search "company in <yourtown>"!! You'll see the default 4 pages of hits, but work through those and you'll be fed more...and more...and more. Try THAT with the YP!

Finally, GM is searchable using zip codes. Try "company <your zip>". Can't do that with the YP!

Oh, yeah - one other thing: GM has a new feature called "My Location", which doesn't even need GPS (uses cell tower locations or GPS if available on your mobile device). "My Location" has obvious operational implications for patrol companies. Here's a link to a website that has a video and more information about new features in GM.

2. Not only can GM help you find potential clients, it can help clients find you. You can get your own company (and Web site) listed in GM for free. Of course, you can also purchase ad space.

You can do all of the above (not sure about "My Location") in Yahoo! Local as well, although it works a bit differently.

3. On a somewhat different note: Customer satisfaction is absolutely critical to your success in getting new customers, and almost anyone who makes their living doing market research will be happy to conduct an extensive and expensive survey to tell you how happy your clients are with your services. There is no need to do this.

I recently attended a seminar on business development conducted by the director of marketing of a very well-known organization. He and it will be nameless, as I might be stealing his thunder here , but he said this: It has recently been discovered that there is ONE question you can ask your clients that has a near-perfect correlation to their REAL level of satisfaction, AND this question is also a near-perfect predictor of a company's future growth.

This question is very simple, and you've heard it before: Would you recommend our service to a close friend or business associate? Obviously, if the answer is anything other than enthusiastic agreement, you would want to ask a few more simple questions to find out exactly what you need to be doing differently. So, dump the market researcher and his expensive surveys, and ask your customers the one relevant question that cuts to the heart of what you really want to know.

Oh...and if you DO get an enthusiastic "yes" to your question, the next question is obvious, too. "It would sure mean alot to me if I could use YOUR name as a reference, Mr. Johnson. <Mr. Johnson is no different from anyone else who loves flattery.> Who would you suggest I should contact?" I mean, the guy already said he would recommend you...what's he going to say - "Well, no one, really."?? He's gotta give you a name or look really dumb.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-09-2007, 08:04 AM. Reason: Formatting.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Great Advice

S.T., Great advice for the owners/managers. Whew, did take a long time to read though! I hope all is well with you.
    Richard Dickinson
    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson View Post
      S.T., Great advice for the owners/managers. Whew, did take a long time to read though! I hope all is well with you.
      You're probably not aware that my real business is selling reading glasses, H.R. Tired eyes are good for business!
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
        You're probably not aware that my real business is selling reading glasses, H.R. Tired eyes are good for business!
        Good one, That's funny
        Attached Files
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X