Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

By the Numbers - Streicher's Uniforms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • By the Numbers - Streicher's Uniforms

    Just got done with the master cost projection for Streichers. Here's the numbers for one fully equipped officer. Please note, when I say "fully equipped," this includes complete duty gear, firearm, extra mags, all uniform sets, coat, rain gear, everything but the hat - which Streichers does not seem to sell a Smokey hat.

    Uniforms are issued 2 sets per employee, 1 rain coat, 1 tie.

    Total Subtotal: $2,758.88 Per Officer
    Shipping Cost: $54.00 (29.99 Shipping, 25.00 Firearm Fee)

    Shipping is negated as they are local to me.

    Uniforms are Elbeco (Class B) and Mocean (Class C - Bike) 5.11 (Class C - Community Resource Team & High Risk Services Team). There is no Class A uniform, I do not wish to shudder.

    Duty Gear is Bianchi Accumold, with a Safariland 6280 STX Holster.

    Firearm is the Springfield Armory XD in .45 GAP, which comes with (3) 9-round magazines. Its .45, so 9+1 in the pipe is sufficient.

    Armor is Level IIIA with Composite Trauma Plate.

    A Microsoft Excel worksheet is attached which demonstrates a typical loadout. As required by this forum, it is zipped. Feel free to use this to understand how insane I am, or to simply compile your own uniform equipment spreadsheet for Streichers. The information on this worksheet is sufficient to order off the telephone, or to attach to a RFQ.

    Comments on the equipment loadout, other than "That's way too much stuff to give to a security guard," are welcome. I am a firm believer that if you give your employees the proper uniforms, tools, and equipment, that they will take care of it. If they fail to, I take it out of their check. I am not above indentured servitude.

    I also believe in such phrases as: You have been loaned this pistol in a clean condition. You have been given this pistol cleaning kit because this pistol will be maintained, by you. If you do not know how to clean a pistol, instructions are in both the owner's manual of your pistol and the OTIS cleaning kit. If you do not understand after reading this, please tell us, as you will be held accountable for the maintenance of that weapon.
    Attached Files
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

  • #2
    I like your idea of taking it out of their check for missing or damaged equipment. Another idea would be a security deposit. I can't open the spreadsheet where I'm at right now. How many employees are you going to initially hire?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

    Comment


    • #3
      Another ? Will you allow your employees to use their own equipment if they desire?
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mr. Security
        Another ? Will you allow your employees to use their own equipment if they desire?
        As long as they bring it in, its inventoried, and signed off on. This ensures that they're wearing a retention holster, that they're wearing the weapons they're certified with, and that they have the minimum basic equipment required for the job.

        You get people showing up with a 5,000 dollar Les Baer 1911 custom, in a 14.95 sporting holster, no baton, no spray, a cheap rubber flashlight they got from the dollar store, and a blue pen.

        Mainly, though, this prevents people from working sites unequipped because they can't afford to shell out for a proper duty rig. You get the people who don't carry OC because OC costs 20 bucks a can. Or they can't afford a "real ASP," so they buy a "solid steel stick" at the flea market - if anything. I've seen folks come to work with a gun on their trouser belt. You ask them where the rest of it is, and they tell you 1st: The law says you can't carry that. Then: I don't need any of that. Finally: I can't afford any of that stuff, so I just carry my gun. It said "Armed Guard," didn't it?
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr. Security
          I like your idea of taking it out of their check for missing or damaged equipment. Another idea would be a security deposit. I can't open the spreadsheet where I'm at right now. How many employees are you going to initially hire?
          Initial projection is 5 employees. That's 3 to work a post, one alternate, and one supervisor. For each mobile patrol account added, a minimum of two employees is required for 12 hour patrols, 3 for 8 hour patrols.

          I technically count as the alternate.

          Human Resources will be outsourced initially, which includes payroll, employee documentation, and quality auditing. Its cheaper in the long run to hire someone to do it right than to pay later in IRS penalties and fines.

          As to "security deposits," I've never liked those. They require an up-front payment, which scares people away. Another strategy I've seen used is payroll deduction, in which case your "buying the uniforms and equipment." Five dollars, say. Most of the companies I worked for required you to payroll deduct, or buy your own uniforms outright. If we do payroll deduction, there's the question of "What happens when they pay enough in to buy another set of uniforms?" and my favorite, "What happens when they seperate? Do they get their deduction account back for turning the equipment in? Do they pay the difference and keep the gear?"
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds great! When can I start? **

            **One snag: Since I only work unarmed, I'll need one of those holsters with the flap like the Canadian Mounties use.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

            Comment


            • #7
              Unarmed security is a staple of private security, but there are already unarmed warm body providers in Kenosha and the surrounding areas. My first tactic is to identify potential clients who require a higher level of service, due to higher risk or inability of the warm body providers to safely protect their establishment. This usually means that I'll be sending out armed officers with high training standards.

              It would be stupid for me to disregard unarmed security, but to me, unarmed security means "no firearm." Employees will be deployed with everything but a firearm, so that they are capable of managing situations as needed. They will, hopefully, also have armed patrol officers available to assist them if the situation escalates - especially in areas where the local police are overwhelmed or unable to secure adequate units and require to stage for 30 minutes nearby before responding.

              I've had police officers stage 3 blocks from my site in Tampa for 45 minutes till 4 officers were available, on hot shooting calls. I don't blame them, but still. That's still one person alone out there.

              When I find someone stupid (?) enough to back me financially, or we save up enough money, then you can start. I'm not used to spinning my wheels, and trust me, it pissses me off that I just can't throw down some plastic, start things up, and get out on the street. It should take me two 8-hour work days to get everything together. Alas, that's two 8-hour work days and a metric ton of capital.

              I'm going to, well, shop around the State Venture Capital services, and hope that someone recongizes what I'm trying to do. As I line things up, its just a matter of money and resources now.

              And trust me, it isn't fun on my end to admit that I'm having to sit in idle, either.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                Firearm is the Springfield Armory XD in .45 GAP, which comes with (3) 9-round magazines. Its .45, so 9+1 in the pipe is sufficient.
                N.A.,
                Sringfield now has the XD in .45ACP with either 12 or 13 in the magazine plus one in the chamber. The price listed on their site is the same as the .45GAP.
                I was thinking about going with the .40 but am now looking at the .45ACP

                Just thought you might like the info.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ACP01
                  N.A.,
                  Sringfield now has the XD in .45ACP with either 12 or 13 in the magazine plus one in the chamber. The price listed on their site is the same as the .45GAP.
                  I was thinking about going with the .40 but am now looking at the .45ACP

                  Just thought you might like the info.
                  I just got off Springfield Armory's site, and saw that. The math is obvious. I hope Streicher's can carry that weapon. They should be able to get it, obviously, because they have a "WE WILL GET IT. GUARANTEED."

                  The math is obvious. .45 GAP is "hotter" than .45 ACP (+P load to accomodate the shorter casing), and the .45 ACP carries more rounds. Oh, and I can actually find ammo for it.

                  Thanks.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

                  "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

                    The math is obvious. .45 GAP is "hotter" than .45 ACP (+P load to accomodate the shorter casing), and the .45 ACP carries more rounds. Oh, and I can actually find ammo for it.

                    Thanks.
                    Your welcome.

                    Maybe in a few years the .45GAP will be popular enough that finding ammo will not be a problem. Noone around here carries GAP except the gun store where I saw the one at and his choice was limited to one type.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ACP01
                      Your welcome.

                      Maybe in a few years the .45GAP will be popular enough that finding ammo will not be a problem. Noone around here carries GAP except the gun store where I saw the one at and his choice was limited to one type.
                      Its new. You know the ordinance companies are with new variants of bullets. Unless they're making it themselves, your hard pressed to find it.

                      Ie: .300 Winchester vs .308, etc.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

                      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        When I find someone stupid (?) enough to back me financially, or we save up enough money, then you can start. I'm not used to spinning my wheels, and trust me, it pissses me off that I just can't throw down some plastic, start things up, and get out on the street. It should take me two 8-hour work days to get everything together. Alas, that's two 8-hour work days and a metric ton of capital.
                        Have you tried to get a SBA Loan? They are designed for small start-up businesses where capital and collateral are inadequate for a typical bank loan. The SBA loans are not difficult to get because the loan is backed by a guarantee from the government. Banks like the guarantee because it minimizes their risk of having a non-performing loan. Check it out and see if your type of business would qualify.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mr. Security
                          Have you tried to get a SBA Loan? They are designed for small start-up businesses where capital and collateral are inadequate for a typical bank loan. The SBA loans are not difficult to get because the loan is backed by a guarantee from the government. Banks like the guarantee because it minimizes their risk of having a non-performing loan. Check it out and see if your type of business would qualify.
                          Yeah, I have an advisor at Chase bank. Before we apply for SBA loans, we have a few SBA seminars we're "encouraged" to attend. Basically, with a killer business plan, a few thousand in personal granuity, and documented "business owner" classes, your chances for getting a SBA Microloan or 7a loan are greatly improved.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

                          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Notice the part under Collateral.


                            SBAExpress

                            About Program

                            Issue:
                            SBAExpress

                            Maximum Loan Amount:
                            $350,000

                            Maximum SBA

                            Guaranty %:
                            50%

                            Interest Rate:
                            Lenders and borrowers can negotiate the interest rate. Rates are tied to the prime rate (as published in the Wall Street Journal) and may be fixed or variable, but they may not exceed SBA maximums:

                            Lenders may charge up to 6.5 percent over prime rate for loans of $50,000 or less and up to 4.5 percent over the prime rate for loans over $50,000

                            Eligibility Decision:
                            By SBA, Qualified Lenders May be granted Authorization to make eligibility determinations

                            Revolving Lines

                            of Credit:
                            SBAExpress allows revolving loans up to 7 years with maturity extensions permitted at the outset

                            Turnaround Time:
                            Within 36 Hours

                            Forms:
                            Lender Uses Mostly Own Forms and Procedures

                            Collateral:
                            Lenders are not required to take collateral for loans up to $25,000.
                            Lenders may use their existing collateral policy for loans over $25,000 up to $150,000.

                            For Loans greater than $150,000, follows SBA's general collateral policy

                            Credit Decision:
                            By Lender

                            Purchase:
                            May request expedited SBA purchase on small loans or in situations where liquidation may be delayed.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mr. Security
                              Notice the part under Collateral.


                              SBAExpress

                              About Program

                              Issue:
                              SBAExpress

                              Maximum Loan Amount:
                              $350,000

                              Maximum SBA

                              Guaranty %:
                              50%

                              Interest Rate:
                              Lenders and borrowers can negotiate the interest rate. Rates are tied to the prime rate (as published in the Wall Street Journal) and may be fixed or variable, but they may not exceed SBA maximums:

                              Lenders may charge up to 6.5 percent over prime rate for loans of $50,000 or less and up to 4.5 percent over the prime rate for loans over $50,000

                              Eligibility Decision:
                              By SBA, Qualified Lenders May be granted Authorization to make eligibility determinations

                              Revolving Lines

                              of Credit:
                              SBAExpress allows revolving loans up to 7 years with maturity extensions permitted at the outset

                              Turnaround Time:
                              Within 36 Hours

                              Forms:
                              Lender Uses Mostly Own Forms and Procedures

                              Collateral:
                              Lenders are not required to take collateral for loans up to $25,000.
                              Lenders may use their existing collateral policy for loans over $25,000 up to $150,000.

                              For Loans greater than $150,000, follows SBA's general collateral policy

                              Credit Decision:
                              By Lender


                              Purchase:
                              May request expedited SBA purchase on small loans or in situations where liquidation may be delayed.
                              Notice the part about Credit Decision. I know what your saying, so I'll start shopping around for SBA Perferred Financial Institutions. The SBA Loan Officer at Chase specifically said, "We want personal collateral." But, that was for a 7a loan, not SBA Express.

                              Thanks.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

                              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X