X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• james2go30
    replied
    wow did this thread get of track.

Went from sirens to s/o abuse and defense thereof...but hey how it goes sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• james2go30
    replied
    100% agreement

Originally posted by SecureTN
    Now I have to take a bit of offense on this one. Since when did wearing Company issued headgear, and doing your job, make you a joke? I wear what my company issues me, and I do my job, and I am a Mall Security Officer (not at Brookfield Square, Mind you), Guard, Watchman, whatever you feel is a proper term for someone in that position. I have worn "the little trooper hats" and have written Client Parking Violations, and I KNOW I am not a Cop, and I can only hope that I am not a "joke".

If I get flamed, so be it... just my offended two cents.
    I agree. I have never had to wear the smokey the bear hats, sorry what theyt remind me of...but the officers here in the panama city mall do...and my company said hey this is the new uniform and told me I had to wear one of those hats I'd wear it...whatever your uniform looks like doesn't make you a joke...your performance as a s/o will decide if you are a good officer or a bad one...don't mean your a joke if you are a bad officer just means it may not be the work you are cut out for. I know our company weeds out the bad as much as possible. Now security investigator...think that is the guy who made the offensive comment...have you actually ever spoke to the officers at this mall...do you know what their responsibilties are that they are to perform...kind of like like we had some officers in our company that only worked construction sites...thought anyone that worked sites like where I work at condos was a joke..pasrking violations, evictions, tresspassing etc. etc. Then a few of them got transfered to these type of sites and changed their tunes as they had to do the same things they were making fun of. Like someone else posted we are all in the same field...some of us do very different things depending on the type of site we work...but we are all security officers and we should respect each other for that there are many out there THAT ARE NOT S/O'S and tend treat us as a joke and refer to us a rent-a-cop's or this was a new one to me rent-a-barney's...no joke on mr. security's pic by the way...I like it. when my dad was alive me and him watched the andy griffith show all the time...but I digress.POINT IS WE SHOULD RESPECT EACH OTHER AS SECURITY OFFICERS AND THE COMMON BULL**** WE ALL HAVE TO PUT UP WITH. SO STOP PICKING ON NATHAN CAUSE ME MAY HAVE STUDIED A LITTLE HARDER AND LEARNED THE FACTS A LITTLE BETTER. Thank You my rant is over.

Leave a comment:

• PAofficer
    replied
    Back to the original questin about sirens

A local collage ran amber lightbars with sirens. It was illegal according to vehicle codes. But the reason was simple. They needed a PA system and when all was said and done, it was cheaper than a PA airhorn set up from Whelen. Thie is the same reason that I have had a siren system (Federal Signal PA 300). PA 300 through ebay was 45.00 dollars and avaible.

Leave a comment:

• jeff194307
    replied
    I take offense to any person regardless of their status when they make others the brunt of their nieve knowledge. Any security officer who does his job as directed, be it observe and report only to hands on arrest, is not a joke and those who doubt the ability of these officers need only violate rules of the client to discover who is a joke

Leave a comment:

• SecureTN
    replied
    Originally posted by Special Investigator
    Brookfield Square Mall security officers ARE a joke in my opinion. They go around the property wearing their little trooper hats and act like cops. They often step beyond their legal authority. Lots of folks complain about them and most Brookfield cops don't like them.
    Now I have to take a bit of offense on this one. Since when did wearing Company issued headgear, and doing your job, make you a joke? I wear what my company issues me, and I do my job, and I am a Mall Security Officer (not at Brookfield Square, Mind you), Guard, Watchman, whatever you feel is a proper term for someone in that position. I have worn "the little trooper hats" and have written Client Parking Violations, and I KNOW I am not a Cop, and I can only hope that I am not a "joke".

If I get flamed, so be it... just my offended two cents.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Just a post to put this thread ahead of the annoying one below.
    Ditto.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Just a post to put this thread ahead of the annoying one below.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Special Investigator
    They can try to stop me while I'm driving a vehicle thru their parking lot, but I don't have to stop for them. They cannot detain me or anyone unless I commit a serious crime or shoplift. 943.50(3)

Brookfield Square security tried to stop me a few months ago because I didn't stop completly at one of their stop signs. I simply drove off the property and there was nothing they could do. Brookfield Square security is a joke IMHO. They are hot-dog wannabes.
    As some of the other people already mentioned... why would you give fellow officers (assuming that you do, indeed, work in security) a hard time? Why cause more problems than there already are? Why would you enjoy wasting their time in the first place? I sure hope you get trespassed next time you enter onto their property.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    I'll get you a special rate at one of my hotels!
    But you'll have to lock the roof door a 5am and check the boiler room at noon

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    Hotel Security:
    One must always try one's best to spread cheer wherever one goes. I've sat in on a few federal and state trials. Be surprised what you pick up along the way.
    Thanks, when my wife and I were on vacation in Canada, we stopped in some places where they spoke only French. My wife was horrified, she felt out of place. I loved it. Now German, tears would have come to her eyes.
    The only French I remember from Air Fore days could get your face slapped, but that was in the late 50s, a young carefree enlisted man.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Anytime you want to come to visit Montreal PM me & I'll get you a special rate at one of my hotels!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Hey Bill,

Is there not some rule in this forum saying that posts are supposed to be in the English language? (Just joking, thanks for expanding what little minds we have left!)
    Hotel Security:
    One must always try one's best to spread cheer wherever one goes. I've sat in on a few federal and state trials. Be surprised what you pick up along the way.
    Thanks, when my wife and I were on vacation in Canada, we stopped in some places where they spoke only French. My wife was horrified, she felt out of place. I loved it. Now German, tears would have come to her eyes.
    The only French I remember from Air Fore days could get your face slapped, but that was in the late 50s, a young carefree enlisted man.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I'm not so sure about that. It's up to each member to know the particular law that pertains to his/her course of action. If I tell you it's OK to jump off a bridge and you do it based on what I said, then you have yourself to blame.
    Scare tactics.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I've touched on Breach of the Peace arrest power in another post, but I'll do it here, too...

This time, most of Page 122 of the Wisconsin PI Codebook. As to "I don't even know what organization regulates security," that post was from 2 years ago.

As a private detective, you and your agency may face a lawsuit
    for actions that fall short of causing actual physical injury. If you
    unlawfully interfere with the physical liberty of another, you and
    your agency are liable for compensatory damages. This means
    that the person who suffers a loss of his or her personal liberty,
    even though it is only temporary, is entitled to be compensated
    for that loss. The law provides that the individual who caused the
    loss of liberty shall be the one to pay.
    A loss of liberty may occur when you are questioning an
    employee about dishonest acts and you refuse to permit the
    employee to leave. It may occur when you detain a suspected
    shoplifter without probable cause to believe he or she has
    shoplifted. It will occur anytime you deny a person his or her
    liberty without authority to do so.
    You are permitted by law to detain a suspected shoplifter when
    you are employed by the store involved. The law provides that a
    merchant or his or her adult employee may detain a person whom
    he or she has probable cause to believe:
    I. Has altered the price tag on an item or exchanged price tags on
    items; or
    2. Has intentionally concealed unpurchased merchandise which
    continues from one floor to another or beyond the last station
    for receiving payments in a merchant's store
    Probable cause means the facts and circumstances permit a person
    of reasonable caution to believe that the suspected person has
    committed an act of shoplifting.
    This detention must he done in a reasonable manner and only for
    a reasonable length of time to deliver the person to a peace officer
    or to his or her parent or guardian in the case of a minor. You
    must promptly inform the detained person of the purpose of the
    detention. You must Dermit him or her to make phone calls. You
    must permit him or her to make phone calls. You may not interrogate or search him or her against his or her will.

You are also authorized by law to make a "citizen's arrest". Every
    citizen has the authority to arrest a person he or she has probable
    cause to believe is guilty of a felony he or she knows has been
    committed. A citizen may arrest a person who is committing a
    breach of the peace in his or her presence. Breach of the peace is
    an act which involves, threatens or incites violence.
    A citizen making an arrest & clearly indicate his or her
    intention to the other person. He or she must indicate for what
    offense the arrest is being made. As soon as possible, he or she
    must tum over custody of the person to a peace officer. If these
    requirements are not met, the citizen may be liable for false
    imprisonment. In reality, you will seldom, if ever, use this
    "citizen's arrest" authority. It is customary and safer for all
    persons involved to leave the arrest to the police.
    While the code book strongly cautions persons to "leave policing to the police," it does state that you make arrests for breaches of the peace as a private citizen.

Notice how he says "trespassing," and I say "disorderly conduct." Disorderly Conduct has an element of threat of violence in it, and is a breach of the peace. Trespassing is not a breach of the peace as there is no element of threat of violence in it (if there is, additional charges apply.)

Fresh Pursuit laws apply to law enforcement officers. When a private person attempts to make a citizen's arrest for something they observed, it does not matter if they are a soccer mom or a security guard or a police officer outside of their jurisdiction. There is no "jurisdiction" to run out of, as it applies equally to all persons in our state, and in the surrounding states that do not codify citizen's arrest (those that do may have different laws, usually giving citizens more power to arrest.)

This has nothing to do with "security guards can arrest," this is "private citizens have arrest authority in certain circumstances." Breaching the peace has been an offense that any member of the public may bring a person before the government for hundreds of years, it derives from British Common Law.

As I've said before, I've played this game.

Also, as to the Wal-mart crack, ad hominem attacks indicate you have no position to stand on.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Hey Bill,

Is there not some rule in this forum saying that posts are supposed to be in the English language? (Just joking, thanks for expanding what little minds we have left!)

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by T202
    Bill you made me get the dictionary out.
    Glad I didn't have that one at a spelling bee!

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X