Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    Special Investigator:
    It is not necessary objurgate Nathan when he cites from the Wisconsin Revised Code.
    Thank you and enjoy the day,
    Bill

Sorry but when he is wrong, he is wrong! I'm not trying to demean him, but when he posts things like it is legal to open carry in Wisconsin, etc, one of these days someone will take his advice and get themselves in hot water, or worse yet, get killed. Anyone who takes advice from folks on message boards like this and get killed, then the administration of the board can be held liable.

Before he posts whats legal and what isn't, he should read/know the law first. Laws are ever changing all the time. He doesn't even know who the regulation agency for private security personal is in Wisconsin. Need I say more?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Special Investigator:
      It is not necessary objurgate Nathan when he cites from the Wisconsin Revised Code.
      Thank you and enjoy the day,
      Bill
      Bill you made me get the dictionary out.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
        Sorry but when he is wrong, he is wrong! I'm not trying to demean him, but when he posts things like it is legal to open carry in Wisconsin, etc, one of these days someone will take his advice and get themselves in hot water, or worse yet, get killed. Anyone who takes advice from folks on message boards like this and get killed, then the administration of the board can be held liable.

Before he posts whats legal and what isn't, he should read/know the law first. Laws are ever changing all the time. He doesn't even know who the regulation agency for private security personal is in Wisconsin. Need I say more?
        I'm not so sure about that. It's up to each member to know the particular law that pertains to his/her course of action. If I tell you it's OK to jump off a bridge and you do it based on what I said, then you have yourself to blame.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Special Investigator:
          When you believe a member erred, tact should be the watchword, slogan or rallying cry if you wish. Cite the specifics. We should not try to eviscerate them.
          "Section xxx.x(1) now reads ......." would be appropriate.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by T202
            Bill you made me get the dictionary out.
            Glad I didn't have that one at a spelling bee!

Comment

Hey Bill,

Is there not some rule in this forum saying that posts are supposed to be in the English language? (Just joking, thanks for expanding what little minds we have left!)
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I've touched on Breach of the Peace arrest power in another post, but I'll do it here, too...

This time, most of Page 122 of the Wisconsin PI Codebook. As to "I don't even know what organization regulates security," that post was from 2 years ago.

As a private detective, you and your agency may face a lawsuit
                for actions that fall short of causing actual physical injury. If you
                unlawfully interfere with the physical liberty of another, you and
                your agency are liable for compensatory damages. This means
                that the person who suffers a loss of his or her personal liberty,
                even though it is only temporary, is entitled to be compensated
                for that loss. The law provides that the individual who caused the
                loss of liberty shall be the one to pay.
                A loss of liberty may occur when you are questioning an
                employee about dishonest acts and you refuse to permit the
                employee to leave. It may occur when you detain a suspected
                shoplifter without probable cause to believe he or she has
                shoplifted. It will occur anytime you deny a person his or her
                liberty without authority to do so.
                You are permitted by law to detain a suspected shoplifter when
                you are employed by the store involved. The law provides that a
                merchant or his or her adult employee may detain a person whom
                he or she has probable cause to believe:
                I. Has altered the price tag on an item or exchanged price tags on
                items; or
                2. Has intentionally concealed unpurchased merchandise which
                continues from one floor to another or beyond the last station
                for receiving payments in a merchant's store
                Probable cause means the facts and circumstances permit a person
                of reasonable caution to believe that the suspected person has
                committed an act of shoplifting.
                This detention must he done in a reasonable manner and only for
                a reasonable length of time to deliver the person to a peace officer
                or to his or her parent or guardian in the case of a minor. You
                must promptly inform the detained person of the purpose of the
                detention. You must Dermit him or her to make phone calls. You
                must permit him or her to make phone calls. You may not interrogate or search him or her against his or her will.

You are also authorized by law to make a "citizen's arrest". Every
                citizen has the authority to arrest a person he or she has probable
                cause to believe is guilty of a felony he or she knows has been
                committed. A citizen may arrest a person who is committing a
                breach of the peace in his or her presence. Breach of the peace is
                an act which involves, threatens or incites violence.
                A citizen making an arrest & clearly indicate his or her
                intention to the other person. He or she must indicate for what
                offense the arrest is being made. As soon as possible, he or she
                must tum over custody of the person to a peace officer. If these
                requirements are not met, the citizen may be liable for false
                imprisonment. In reality, you will seldom, if ever, use this
                "citizen's arrest" authority. It is customary and safer for all
                persons involved to leave the arrest to the police.
                While the code book strongly cautions persons to "leave policing to the police," it does state that you make arrests for breaches of the peace as a private citizen.

Notice how he says "trespassing," and I say "disorderly conduct." Disorderly Conduct has an element of threat of violence in it, and is a breach of the peace. Trespassing is not a breach of the peace as there is no element of threat of violence in it (if there is, additional charges apply.)

Fresh Pursuit laws apply to law enforcement officers. When a private person attempts to make a citizen's arrest for something they observed, it does not matter if they are a soccer mom or a security guard or a police officer outside of their jurisdiction. There is no "jurisdiction" to run out of, as it applies equally to all persons in our state, and in the surrounding states that do not codify citizen's arrest (those that do may have different laws, usually giving citizens more power to arrest.)

This has nothing to do with "security guards can arrest," this is "private citizens have arrest authority in certain circumstances." Breaching the peace has been an offense that any member of the public may bring a person before the government for hundreds of years, it derives from British Common Law.

As I've said before, I've played this game.

Also, as to the Wal-mart crack, ad hominem attacks indicate you have no position to stand on.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  I'm not so sure about that. It's up to each member to know the particular law that pertains to his/her course of action. If I tell you it's OK to jump off a bridge and you do it based on what I said, then you have yourself to blame.
                  Scare tactics.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                    Hey Bill,

Is there not some rule in this forum saying that posts are supposed to be in the English language? (Just joking, thanks for expanding what little minds we have left!)
                    Hotel Security:
                    One must always try one's best to spread cheer wherever one goes. I've sat in on a few federal and state trials. Be surprised what you pick up along the way.
                    Thanks, when my wife and I were on vacation in Canada, we stopped in some places where they spoke only French. My wife was horrified, she felt out of place. I loved it. Now German, tears would have come to her eyes.
                    The only French I remember from Air Fore days could get your face slapped, but that was in the late 50s, a young carefree enlisted man.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

Hotel Security:
                      One must always try one's best to spread cheer wherever one goes. I've sat in on a few federal and state trials. Be surprised what you pick up along the way.
                      Thanks, when my wife and I were on vacation in Canada, we stopped in some places where they spoke only French. My wife was horrified, she felt out of place. I loved it. Now German, tears would have come to her eyes.
                      The only French I remember from Air Fore days could get your face slapped, but that was in the late 50s, a young carefree enlisted man.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill
                      Anytime you want to come to visit Montreal PM me & I'll get you a special rate at one of my hotels!
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                        I'll get you a special rate at one of my hotels!
                        But you'll have to lock the roof door a 5am and check the boiler room at noon
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

They can try to stop me while I'm driving a vehicle thru their parking lot, but I don't have to stop for them. They cannot detain me or anyone unless I commit a serious crime or shoplift. 943.50(3)

Brookfield Square security tried to stop me a few months ago because I didn't stop completly at one of their stop signs. I simply drove off the property and there was nothing they could do. Brookfield Square security is a joke IMHO. They are hot-dog wannabes.
                          As some of the other people already mentioned... why would you give fellow officers (assuming that you do, indeed, work in security) a hard time? Why cause more problems than there already are? Why would you enjoy wasting their time in the first place? I sure hope you get trespassed next time you enter onto their property.

Comment

Just a post to put this thread ahead of the annoying one below.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                              Just a post to put this thread ahead of the annoying one below.
                              Ditto.

Comment

Brookfield Square Mall security officers ARE a joke in my opinion. They go around the property wearing their little trooper hats and act like cops. They often step beyond their legal authority. Lots of folks complain about them and most Brookfield cops don't like them.
                                Now I have to take a bit of offense on this one. Since when did wearing Company issued headgear, and doing your job, make you a joke? I wear what my company issues me, and I do my job, and I am a Mall Security Officer (not at Brookfield Square, Mind you), Guard, Watchman, whatever you feel is a proper term for someone in that position. I have worn "the little trooper hats" and have written Client Parking Violations, and I KNOW I am not a Cop, and I can only hope that I am not a "joke".

If I get flamed, so be it... just my offended two cents.
                                "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X