No announcement yet.

WI Security: Sirens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could only deploy a radar trailer on private property. (I don't own the city streets, and would need a sign permit to put something on one)

The local law enforcement would be requested to come out and issue "careless driving" citations, instead of speeding tickets, because we don't have the luxury of speeding tickets on private property. BUT, you can carelessly drive anywhere.

When you have a guy doing 55 in a 10, I consider that careless driving.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Star Wars Speed Trap - AOL News

The Canadians are testing out a system that combines onboard Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) technology with a digital speed limit map. It works very much like the in-car GPS navigation systems which have become so common on late model cars -- but with a twist. Instead of helping you find a destination, the system, prevents you from driving any faster than the posted speed limit of the road you happen to be on.

As in a conventional GPS-equipped car or truck, the system knows which road you're on, as well as the direction you're traveling. This information is continuously updating as you move. But in addition to this, the system also acquires information about the posted speed limit on each road, as you drive. Once your vehicle reaches that limit, the car's computer makes it increasingly difficult to go any faster.

Ten vehicles equipped with this technology are currently being tested in the Ottowa area; if the trail is "successful," a wider series of tests is planned. And it's a sure bet the entire thing will eventually be the object of a very strong-armed push aimed at making it mandatory equipment in every new car. "We are trying to assess the operational acceptance issues," says Peter Burns of Transport Canada's road safety directorate.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In Wisconsin, unless you are on private property, you are not allowed to use a siren on public streets.

Thank Mark Kirch (formerly of Milwaukee Metro Public Safety) for that law.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

In California you can have a siren system such as a PA-300 or Smart siren but understand that ALL siren tones must be deactivated. You CAN have a air horn and PA System but thats it.

As far as radar. I currently run radar in our patrol cars on private property. Actually out here thats a big thing. Homeowner associations contract Security companies to do just that. We issue CC&R Violations to homeowners as well as guests of homeowners. If they flee we do not pursue. When they come back they are barred from the property.

Heres an example. About a 6 months ago we had a black BMW fly through a stop signe and hit 45mph in a 15mph. We attempted to stop him using light bar strobes and spot light. He ran for the gate so we got his plate and backed off for everyones safety. We took info on him and found he was a guest and a ATTOURNEY!!! When he tried to enter the gate he was sent away and issued a tresspassing cite. He filed suit against us and was slapped with a restraining order and $500.00 fine by the court, AND told never to enter the property. He appealed it and lost yet again. The homeowner recieved first a $500.00 fine for his guest, next a $500.00 fine for his guests lawsuit, and a fine for all legal expenses. It all held up in court as well. Remember Homeowners HOA's have alot of power. Do remember this though, when running radar you just cant buy one from ebay. YOU MUST HAVE A FCC LICENSE TO OPERATE RADAR. That comes with brand new radar guns. Is it enforced. Well CHP paid us a visit after we first started running radar 2 years ago and they tried everything.

Comment

Also remember that you need to run radar on private property, your radar operators must be certified by a recongized certification system, and that your radar must be properly tuned and certified by a recongized certification agency at required intervals.

You can buy one off ebay, and then have the FCC issue a license for its operation, you just have to contact the FCC with the information on the back of the radar unit. Turning it on before registration and licensing, of course, is a federal offense. Just like switching to a GMRS channel on an FRS/GMRS radio without license is.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              Also remember that you need to run radar on private property, your radar operators must be certified by a recongized certification system, and that your radar must be properly tuned and certified by a recongized certification agency at required intervals.
              Why bother? Unless your a sworn law enforcement officer, you can't stop a offender or write a citation.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
                Why bother? Unless your a sworn law enforcement officer, you can't stop a offender or write a citation.
                Um, yes you can, if on private property. You can't write a state uniform traffic citation, but you can write whatever paperwork the property owner wants.

You can stop someone on your property for purposes of asserting their legitimacy to be there, or to give them lawful orders, at any time. This is like saying, "You can't tell me, as the owner, to get off your land, because you can't stop me to tell me that."

Yes, you can stop them to tell them that. Just because they're in a vehicle doesn't mean you can't stop them. Otherwise, exit gates would also be illegal.

I have seen people be evicted from their home for running stop signs. Based on rule violation notices I have written. Not because its "illegal," but because its part of the covenant of documents they signed and agreed to upon moving in.

Comment

Um, yes you can, if on private property. You can't write a state uniform traffic citation, but you can write whatever paperwork the property owner wants.
                  They can try to stop me while I'm driving a vehicle thru their parking lot, but I don't have to stop for them. They cannot detain me or anyone unless I commit a serious crime or shoplift. 943.50(3)

Brookfield Square security tried to stop me a few months ago because I didn't stop completly at one of their stop signs. I simply drove off the property and there was nothing they could do. Brookfield Square security is a joke IMHO. They are hot-dog wannabes.
                  Last edited by Special Investigator; 11-09-2006, 08:30 PM.

~~George Orwell.

Comment

They can try to stop me while I'm driving a vehicle thru their parking lot, but I don't have to stop for them. They cannot detain me or anyone unless I commit a serious crime or shoplift. 943.50(3)

Brookfield Square security tried to stop me a few months ago because I didn't stop completly at one of their stop signs. I simply drove off the property and there was nothing they could do. Brookfield Square security is a joke IMHO. They are hot-dog wannabes.
                    I wouldn't call them a joke. They are not there to enforce laws, just rules. If a person breaks the rule their job is to either stop them from doing it or get them off the property. You left. Job well done!
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                      I wouldn't call them a joke. They are not there to enforce laws, just rules. If a person breaks the rule their job is to either stop them from doing it or get them off the property. You left. Job well done!
                      Brookfield Square Mall security officers ARE a joke in my opinion. They go around the property wearing their little trooper hats and act like cops. They often step beyond their legal authority. Lots of folks complain about them and most Brookfield cops don't like them.

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Brookfield Square Mall security officers ARE a joke in my opinion. They go around the property wearing their little trooper hats and act like cops. They often step beyond their legal authority. Lots of folks complain about them and most Brookfield cops don't like them.
                        Well I can say this, if you came on our property and pulled that stunt, the next time you tried to come back on, they would turn you away and issue you a tresspass warning. If you then refused to leave or tried to sneak on, you would see just what type of joke we actually are. I can give you this advice. You work in the same industry, why make there job harder. Why be a Dick? Sooner or Later you are going to push it to far and get either yourself or someone else hurt, good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by VertigoODO
                          You work in the same industry, why make there job harder. Why be a Dick?
                          +1 to that. It always makes me shake my head when an S/O goes on to tell me about how they gave an S/O at another site a hard time because they know what they can and cant do.
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

The common law citizen's arrest threshold in Wisconsin is Breach of the Peace, not "serious crime." Shoplifting has a statutory authorization, like most states.

So, all you really have to do is commit a breach of the peace in a security officer's presence, and he can chase you to the ends of the state of Wisconsin (maybe farther...) in fresh pursuit.

This has been upheld many times by the court, citing that police officers out of their jurisdiction (sometimes three counties out of their jurisdiction, lol Racine County Sheriff's Department working short calls) have no more arrest authority than a private citizen, and that their arrest for DUI is lawful for a "breach of the peace," as DUI places the safety of the public in danger (violence element) and breaches the peace of the public (annoying, harassing, or endangering the public).

As far as stopping you, you don't have to stop. But, if they take your tag down, and see it on property again, they just throw you off the property. Resistance IS disorderly conduct and an offense that breaches the peace. Pop, citizen's arrest.

Never forget that the person you're screwing with may be what the state calls a "Private Police Officer," a guy with a LE badge in his back pocket who retains his LE status while in that security uniform. Including the authority to arrest for any misdemeanor or ordinance violation in his presence.

Comment

The common law citizen's arrest threshold in Wisconsin is Breach of the Peace, not "serious crime." Shoplifting has a statutory authorization, like most states. So, all you really have to do is commit a breach of the peace in a security officer's presence, and he can chase you to the ends of the state of Wisconsin (maybe farther...) in fresh pursuit.
                              Bologna! You better start reading & understanding the laws on persuit. Private security cannot chase you into the hills. If you catch someone trespassing, the ONLY thing you can do is call the police. You cannot detain or chase them down. Familarize yourself with the 'good faith' law.

Resistance IS disorderly conduct and an offense that breaches the peace. Pop, citizen's arrest.
                              WRONG AGAIN! You can only do a "citizens arrest" if you actualy witness a felony or a serious crime againt public safety. Trespassing is not a public safety crime. Try to 'citizen arrest' or detain me, or anyone for trespassing, "POP", your facing a false arrest charge yourself and also a possible law suit.

Never forget that the person you're screwing with may be what the state calls a "Private Police Officer," a guy with a LE badge in his back pocket who retains his LE status while in that security uniform. Including the authority to arrest for any misdemeanor or ordinance violation in his presence.
                              Private "police" are illegal in Wisconsin. Any 'off duty' police officer who works as a private security person must follow all regulations that applies to private security. Working as a private security person, he gives up some of his LE privliges.
                              Last edited by SIW Editor; 12-01-2006, 12:48 PM.

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Special Investigator:
                                It is not necessary objurgate Nathan when he cites from the Wisconsin Revised Code.
                                Thank you and enjoy the day,
                                Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X