Sample Union Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample Union Contract

I had not seen this before. It's the SEIU 2005-2007 security officer contract for the Twin Cities, MN.

Follow this link and then click on the appropriate link to the contract on the right side of the page. It's a PDF file so you need the Adobe reader to view it, which I'm sure most of you have.

Very interesting.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

I especially like this one - 'Security Officers, Window Cleaners, and Janitors Launch Joint Organizing Campaign'.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
      I especially like this one - 'Security Officers, Window Cleaners, and Janitors Launch Joint Organizing Campaign'.
      Well, the "SE" in "SEIU" does stand for "Service Employees" and we do fall into that category.

We might not like being lumped in with these other groups, but we've also rarely (ever?) managed on our own to put together the sheer numbers needed to form an effective labor bargaining unit.

It's not much different from cops being included in "government employees" unions, which include the street sweepers, sanitation workers and park maintenance folks, no?
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I've never belonged to a Union.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Its odd to me, because that looks like a standard contract between company and client. Except for the provisions that companies have to actually say they will guard/protect or observe/report/not-protect things.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I think it is Don Henley that sang It's the heart of the matter. The lyrics are below. Dig out your wallet and sing along.

3.2 Dues Withholding: The Company agrees to withhold from the wages
            of each employee working over twenty-four (24) hours or more in any
            calendar month, and pay to the Union, all initiation fees and dues
            required by the Union. The Company will deduct such dues on the
            first pay period of each month and immediately forward the amount
            with a list of employees’ names and the addresses and deductions of
            each to the Union. The Union will notify the Company in advance of
            any changes in dues, in writing. The Union agrees to indemnify and
            save harmless the Company from any and all liabilities it may suffer
            as a result of agreeing to be bound by Article 3, including court costs
            and reasonable attorneys’ fees
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

The SEIU has made inroads in several metropolitan areas over the past few years. The union president, Andrew Stern is very influencial and politically active. Here's a link to an example: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...rat_think.html

I had the misfortune to have to deal with the SEIU a few years ago on a contract in Chicago. I can tell you that the grievance procedures makes it almost impossible to terminate an employee causing friction between the contractor and the client.

The good news is, however, that in markets where they have a presence, the clients acquiese to the higher bill rates required to cover higher pay rates and benefits. It's too bad they need a union for that.
              Richard Dickinson
              Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
              DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
              www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

My only question is, why do the clients agree to go with union companies?

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  My only question is, why do the clients agree to go with union companies?
                  What I wonder, is how do they handle it when they vote a union in during the middle of a contract?

I would be pretty upset if I was the client.
                  ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

hmmmm. If I got my employees to go union, I could give less vacation, pay less of their health insurance,reduce their life insurance, and I don't see sick pay in there, but I probably missed that.
                    sigpic
                    Rocket Science
                    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

I do not know if it applies to service workers, because so few of us are unionized, but in skilled services fields union=quality. To maintain their bargaining power unions must maintain the quality of their members. That means that they must meet certain standards of education training or skill. Does SEUI have any kind of standardized evaluations?
                      "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Usually not. Do janitors have a skills assessment?

The SEIU is a blanket union that decided that security guards == untapped area, so they went after it.

Comment

Not trying to start a big thing here, but I don't agree that unions=quality, any more than non-union=poor quality. Depending on where you are, the union may have bargaining power simply because there is no choice. No options to go non-union.

Unions aren't all bad or all good. Anybody who thinks one way or the other doesn't think.

Unions have done wonderful things for the American worker, forcing fair wages, safe working conditions, reasonable hours, etc. They have also contributed to the downfall of some industries with inflated wages, and forcing employers to keep people on that should have been canned long ago. Like most things, they have there goods and bads.
                          sigpic
                          Rocket Science
                          Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                          One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                            Not trying to start a big thing here, but I don't agree that unions=quality, any more than non-union=poor quality.
                            After 9/11, the government replaced contract security screeners with government employees on the theory that higher pay and benefits would translate to better security. We all know how that worked out!
                            "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X