Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will contract security look like in 10 years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will contract security look like in 10 years?

I see two trends that may put pressure on "warm body" and smaller contract companies. With advances in robotics and AI, security robots (now in their infancy) will come into their own. I don't see them replacing security officers, but they will reach a level of efficiency and reliability that will put a lot of lazy and low performance guards out of a job. Clients will also invest in better cameras and better intrusion alarms, and expect their security contractors to be up to speed on their use and maintenance.

The second trend is increasing crime and a decreasing law enforcement presence. I haven't seen any direct studies, but you have a lot of police currently retiring or getting out of the field, and a tough recruiting environment. Security will most likely be asked to fill in the gaps, and that will require better trained and more qualified security officers. 8 hours of training and minimum wage pay may be OK for the remaining night watchman type positions, but companies that don't adapt will find themselves struggling to get contracts.

Masterpiece. Could have not have written it any better. Agree the Human Live Guard is not going away. And clients will have to spend $$$ on better cameras, better access control, and the most impotent? Better wages ! Pay chump change, minimum wages, you get a chump for a Security Guard
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Between the pay and quite frankly, the easy to obtain job "warm body" attitude the companies have, youre going to get low quality. When I applied for one job, that was a state site and had much larger pay than Ive seen unarmed anywhere in my area, it was by far too easy to get the job. They asked the typical questions and asked me to write a fake report. Im not an experienced writer or even doing reports. Because I had a year in security and clean piss, I got the job. Pretty sad.

The mandatory training, per state licensing is a joke in itself. for my state, 24hrs worth of classroom "training" (common sense) and now Im all set to be a security guard. Annd from experience, the contract companies dont give the proper tools for the job. And Im not talking about duty belt tools. Each site Ive been on, I saw dated phone numbers of contact information with outdated names (who to call for site management).

Another good example. On my day off, at a very well known Northeastern company I worked at, had an emergency that required use of the PA system. We were never shown how to use it to inform everyone on the property that there is one. So if I was there, how would I have known? But they dont care...Ill just sit, watch cameras, report any alarms and go home.

Comment

It is hard to predict; I honestly thought things were going to change drastically after 9/11, and they really didn't. The tipping point will come when robots and other security tech are able to do as good or better than a cheap guard. (The robot may be expensive, but you don't have to give it benefits or sick / vacation time, and it actually works instead of playing on an iphone for 8 hours.)

Seattle isn't a typical example because of our rapid growth and goofy city council, but people are slowly waking up as violent crime comes to "quiet" neighborhoods. Another example is burglar alarm response - the days of the police responding in a timely manner are gone, so businesses have to hire a security patrol or harden the target.

A combination of technology and better guards will be the solution - if clients will spend the money.
        Last edited by Condo Guard; 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

It will look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ColePhelps1247 View Post
            far too easy to get the job. They asked the typical questions and asked me to write a fake report. Im not an experienced writer or even doing reports. Because I had a year in security and clean piss, I got the job. Pretty sad.
            Don't sell your writing skillz short, or their role in hiring.

You really can't tell squat from resume, work history, and certainly not college transcripts or personal refs. All can be faked and would take a serious Private Dick to disprove.

But put someone in a room and have them write and that will tell you a lot.

How is it gonna look to the client if god forbid the Guard is required to write a report about a semi-serious incident and it turns out he is functionally illiterate?

Can't tell you how many guards I've dealt with that don't have writing skills of a 4th grader, but otherwise seem fine and more or less well spoken.

Comment

At least you'll be replaced by a monitor system since all you do is sleep at your post. No need for you, right? It can be done via robot and computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                A combination of technology and better guards will be the solution - if clients will spend the money.
                That is the big if.

This has been the problem with contract security in general as the money is not quite there to attract and retain quality employees. Security for a lot of companies has just been another expense. Thus leading companies to find cheaper albeit lower quality security services. Corners have to be cut to ensure that the profit margins have to be made. On the security company side to meet this demand you are going to find these cuts are ultimately guard wages, training and issued equipment.
                Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                  At least you'll be replaced by a monitor system since all you do is sleep at your post. No need for you, right? It can be done via robot and computer.
                  diff between me and you is I'm always looking for new ways to leverage monitors, sensors, "trip" wires and even stray cats to enhance security and be a force multiplier.

I'm the guy that comes up with reasons to replace non-thinking warm body "but I'm awake" guys like you.

when I get back into security my first project will be rigging a spare smart phone to do on demand video conferencing. I want to be able to place it at some site and call it on my main phone to see whats up when one of my alarms trips out of visual range.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X