Starting a new security company.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new security company.

I am considering starting a security company in the next 3 to 5 years. If I do start this up I will issue most if not all equipment each individual guard would need. It will be costly to start. Before I start I will take a few business management courses at the local college.

I wish you the best of luck in your future company. You will have better luck grooming your people for their positions then hiring from the outside. Very hard to do in the beginning but having a core of good people who can handle problems is a worthwhile investment.
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

What Psychosteve said. The best company I ever worked for was a small company that took pride in their people and took care of their clients. I don't know what the market is like in your city, but you might want to do niche security, as in specializing in hotels or apartments, etc. The company I worked for was fine when we had a staff that all knew each other (monthly meetings with everyone helped) and we focused on just hotels. It all went downhill when the company expanded too quickly, and tried to do everything (private investigations, executive protection, etc.) I left when it was clear we were just another warm body outfit scrambling for a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        What Psychosteve said. The best company I ever worked for was a small company that took pride in their people and took care of their clients. I don't know what the market is like in your city, but you might want to do niche security, as in specializing in hotels or apartments, etc. The company I worked for was fine when we had a staff that all knew each other (monthly meetings with everyone helped) and we focused on just hotels. It all went downhill when the company expanded too quickly, and tried to do everything (private investigations, executive protection, etc.) I left when it was clear we were just another warm body outfit scrambling for a buck.
        I've seen many small security companies that try to provide good security and "do it right". They have all failed because inevitably clients don't want to pay the extra money. They prefer "half-decent security for cheap" over "good security that's more expensive".

Comment

True, but that's where you have to sell yourself - you have to convince the client that good security is worth it in the long run, by having a staff and customers that are safe and given good customer service. Keeping good metrics helps too - if you can prove the site is safer than the surrounding area, that the reviews the client gets are better because their security aren't a bunch of clowns, etc. they'll be more inclined to pay a little more.

Comment

Looking at the type of security uniform that I would issue I'm looking at either black cargo pants or cargo shorts with a black golf shirt with the company name on the front and back. I would also issue jumpsuits similar to the one I wore when I was with my towns EMS Department. Here is a picture of me in my EMS jumpsuit from a few years back. What dp you think of my selections. I want to stay away from the class A as I don't want to be mistaken for an LEO. One security uniform I did wear was a white uniform shirt with no patches but security epaulette slipons and dark navy pants. When I was wearing that I got mistaken more as an airline pilot for the community airline that an LEO.
            Last edited by fortsmithman; 02-11-2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

I've seen many small security companies that try to provide good security and "do it right". They have all failed because inevitably clients don't want to pay the extra money. They prefer "half-decent security for cheap" over "good security that's more expensive".
              If I do start up in 3 to 5 years I would be the only security company in my town. The last time we had a security company here in town was the late 1980s.

Comment

On the uniform issue (I apologize, this might belong on the other thread) I can tell you the cargo pants (and cargo shorts in the summer) are great - the extra pockets are needed. Your comment about the epaulette slip-ons cracked me up - I wore a similar uniform and we kept getting mistaken for the Fed Ex delivery drivers (back when they wore a similar outfit).

I don't like jumpsuits except for industrial sites, but is just my bias; a company that wore them here were a bunch of wannabes. I like white shirts for hotels and office buildings, but they do get dirty quickly, so if you do use them issue your guys enough to have a clean shirt for every day they work.

The place I'm at now has a tan and green uniform; we look like forest rangers without the "Smokey the Bear" hats. That was a deliberate choice on the part of management in wanting to make us look friendlier and not resemble the local PD. As far as I can tell the S/Os like them and the public likes them, so they did it right.

Finally, you don't have to go high end, but don't go cheap. I've heard horror stories on my site of the last director buying the cheapest stuff possible and never replacing anything - guys had to sew and staple their pants to keep them from falling apart at the seams.
                Last edited by Condo Guard; 02-12-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

You should reach out to Sectrainer and Curtis. They have input.

Comment

On the uniform issue (I apologize, this might belong on the other thread) I can tell you the cargo pants (and cargo shorts in the summer) are great - the extra pockets are needed. Your comment about the epaulette slip-ons cracked me up - I wore a similar uniform and we kept getting mistaken for the Fed Ex delivery drivers (back when they wore a similar outfit).

I don't like jumpsuits except for industrial sites, but is just my bias; a company that wore them here were a bunch of wannabes. I like white shirts for hotels and office buildings, but they do get dirty quickly, so if you do use them issue your guys enough to have a clean shirt for every day they work.

The place I'm at now has a tan and green uniform; we look like forest rangers without the "Smokey the Bear" hats. That was a deliberate choice on the part of management in wanting to make us look friendlier and not resemble the local PD. As far as I can tell the S/Os like them and the public likes them, so they did it right.

Finally, you don't have to go high end, but don't go cheap. I've heard horror stories on my site of the last director buying the cheapest stuff possible and never replacing anything - guys had to sew and staple their pants to keep them from falling apart at the seams.
                    When I first started after I did the bouncer thing, and started as a security guard my uniform was a silver tan shirt, forest green pants, forest green neck tie, forest green forage cap, forest green tunic and a Sam Browne belt with a cross strap.

Comment

The jumpsuits would be worn if I get contracted to guard construction sites. For general use I'm looking at black or dark navy polo/golf shirts with the company name embroidered on it with either dark navy or black cargo pants or cargo shorts. If I do decide to use the class a or enforcement style uniform i'm looking at dark brown pants, and shirts with shoulder patches. I picked dark brown because no police service in Canada uses dark brown as a uniform colour.

Comment

don't fixate on issuing everyone everything, especially pants. I've got about 3 pairs of black BDU type pants and each one has its own niche. One is thin for hot weather, one is burly for rough use, and one is oversized for long johns and sprayed with Kamp-Dry for wet and cold.

stay away from white shirts. They will have "ring around the collar" and your guys will like bums.

And I've got about 3 pairs of pants I've been issued that I never wear because they just fit funny.

Did get issued a jumpsuit for possible strike (to wear over because they said they might be throwing rotten tomatoes) that turned out to be a fave all around for dirty work.....but for security it seems problematic. Very awkward to layer.

I'm really digging this safety vest (required on most construction sites for everyone).https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWALT-Clas....c100227.m3827 Its got a ZIPPERED big back pocket (great for stuffing your layering clothing) and huge pockets inside and out ("tablet size"). Everyone else must be digging it too because they are sold out of almost everything. Other models with that must have feature tend to run 40-70$ pro tip: use quick connect with elastic to connect the two eyelets at bottom front and order about 3 sizes down on these vests, they run huge.

I'm seriously considering using CLOWN COSTUMES as at least one possible uniform. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spots-the-C...AEm6RXwQ4O9JjQ

$17 and "fast and free" shipping. Talk about "visual deterrent". Everyone is scared of clowns, and everyone will be talking about the new security on-site.

Similar price but Slow Boat From China but diff styles.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halloween-X....c100005.m1851
                        Last edited by Squid; 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I was going over the numbers, and came to the conclusion that it would not be financially viable for me to start a security company in my town. The last security company that was active in my town folded in the late 80's early 90s. When that company was operating they also had to run a second business a safety supply shop to stay afloat. Their major client was the local college who decided to go inhouse rather than contract out.

Comment

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
                            I was going over the numbers, and came to the conclusion that it would not be financially viable for me to start a security company in my town. The last security company that was active in my town folded in the late 80's early 90s. When that company was operating they also had to run a second business a safety supply shop to stay afloat. Their major client was the local college who decided to go inhouse rather than contract out.
                            There are two reasons that security companies run you all the way around hell and back. The first reason is that to do security as a business your going to need to be thinking regionally and second your going to want to put people in areas where they do not have a history know to the locals. The marketplace is pretty much saturated in the US and I would suspect this is the same in Canada. If you want to start your own business your going to either increase the potential region of operations, base it near an area where demand is great or specialize in an underdeveloped area of the market.
                            Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                            Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X