Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting a new security company.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Starting a new security company.

    I am considering starting a security company in the next 3 to 5 years. If I do start this up I will issue most if not all equipment each individual guard would need. It will be costly to start. Before I start I will take a few business management courses at the local college.

  • #2
    I wish you the best of luck in your future company. You will have better luck grooming your people for their positions then hiring from the outside. Very hard to do in the beginning but having a core of good people who can handle problems is a worthwhile investment.
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

    Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

    Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

    Comment


    • #3
      What Psychosteve said. The best company I ever worked for was a small company that took pride in their people and took care of their clients. I don't know what the market is like in your city, but you might want to do niche security, as in specializing in hotels or apartments, etc. The company I worked for was fine when we had a staff that all knew each other (monthly meetings with everyone helped) and we focused on just hotels. It all went downhill when the company expanded too quickly, and tried to do everything (private investigations, executive protection, etc.) I left when it was clear we were just another warm body outfit scrambling for a buck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        What Psychosteve said. The best company I ever worked for was a small company that took pride in their people and took care of their clients. I don't know what the market is like in your city, but you might want to do niche security, as in specializing in hotels or apartments, etc. The company I worked for was fine when we had a staff that all knew each other (monthly meetings with everyone helped) and we focused on just hotels. It all went downhill when the company expanded too quickly, and tried to do everything (private investigations, executive protection, etc.) I left when it was clear we were just another warm body outfit scrambling for a buck.
        I've seen many small security companies that try to provide good security and "do it right". They have all failed because inevitably clients don't want to pay the extra money. They prefer "half-decent security for cheap" over "good security that's more expensive".

        Comment


        • #5
          True, but that's where you have to sell yourself - you have to convince the client that good security is worth it in the long run, by having a staff and customers that are safe and given good customer service. Keeping good metrics helps too - if you can prove the site is safer than the surrounding area, that the reviews the client gets are better because their security aren't a bunch of clowns, etc. they'll be more inclined to pay a little more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Looking at the type of security uniform that I would issue I'm looking at either black cargo pants or cargo shorts with a black golf shirt with the company name on the front and back. I would also issue jumpsuits similar to the one I wore when I was with my towns EMS Department. Here is a picture of me in my EMS jumpsuit from a few years back. What dp you think of my selections. I want to stay away from the class A as I don't want to be mistaken for an LEO. One security uniform I did wear was a white uniform shirt with no patches but security epaulette slipons and dark navy pants. When I was wearing that I got mistaken more as an airline pilot for the community airline that an LEO.
            Last edited by fortsmithman; 02-11-2018, 09:55 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

              I've seen many small security companies that try to provide good security and "do it right". They have all failed because inevitably clients don't want to pay the extra money. They prefer "half-decent security for cheap" over "good security that's more expensive".
              If I do start up in 3 to 5 years I would be the only security company in my town. The last time we had a security company here in town was the late 1980s.

              Comment


              • #8
                On the uniform issue (I apologize, this might belong on the other thread) I can tell you the cargo pants (and cargo shorts in the summer) are great - the extra pockets are needed. Your comment about the epaulette slip-ons cracked me up - I wore a similar uniform and we kept getting mistaken for the Fed Ex delivery drivers (back when they wore a similar outfit).

                I don't like jumpsuits except for industrial sites, but is just my bias; a company that wore them here were a bunch of wannabes. I like white shirts for hotels and office buildings, but they do get dirty quickly, so if you do use them issue your guys enough to have a clean shirt for every day they work.

                The place I'm at now has a tan and green uniform; we look like forest rangers without the "Smokey the Bear" hats. That was a deliberate choice on the part of management in wanting to make us look friendlier and not resemble the local PD. As far as I can tell the S/Os like them and the public likes them, so they did it right.

                Finally, you don't have to go high end, but don't go cheap. I've heard horror stories on my site of the last director buying the cheapest stuff possible and never replacing anything - guys had to sew and staple their pants to keep them from falling apart at the seams.
                Last edited by Condo Guard; 02-12-2018, 05:21 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You should reach out to Sectrainer and Curtis. They have input.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                    On the uniform issue (I apologize, this might belong on the other thread) I can tell you the cargo pants (and cargo shorts in the summer) are great - the extra pockets are needed. Your comment about the epaulette slip-ons cracked me up - I wore a similar uniform and we kept getting mistaken for the Fed Ex delivery drivers (back when they wore a similar outfit).

                    I don't like jumpsuits except for industrial sites, but is just my bias; a company that wore them here were a bunch of wannabes. I like white shirts for hotels and office buildings, but they do get dirty quickly, so if you do use them issue your guys enough to have a clean shirt for every day they work.

                    The place I'm at now has a tan and green uniform; we look like forest rangers without the "Smokey the Bear" hats. That was a deliberate choice on the part of management in wanting to make us look friendlier and not resemble the local PD. As far as I can tell the S/Os like them and the public likes them, so they did it right.

                    Finally, you don't have to go high end, but don't go cheap. I've heard horror stories on my site of the last director buying the cheapest stuff possible and never replacing anything - guys had to sew and staple their pants to keep them from falling apart at the seams.
                    When I first started after I did the bouncer thing, and started as a security guard my uniform was a silver tan shirt, forest green pants, forest green neck tie, forest green forage cap, forest green tunic and a Sam Browne belt with a cross strap.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                      I don't like jumpsuits except for industrial sites, but is just my bias; a company that wore them here were a bunch of wannabes. I like white shirts for hotels and office buildings, but they do get dirty quickly, so if you do use them issue your guys enough to have a clean shirt for every day they work.
                      The jumpsuits would be worn if I get contracted to guard construction sites. For general use I'm looking at black or dark navy polo/golf shirts with the company name embroidered on it with either dark navy or black cargo pants or cargo shorts. If I do decide to use the class a or enforcement style uniform i'm looking at dark brown pants, and shirts with shoulder patches. I picked dark brown because no police service in Canada uses dark brown as a uniform colour.

                      Comment

                      300x250

                      Collapse

                      Mid 300x250

                      Collapse

                      Taboola

                      Collapse

                      Super Leaderboard

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X