Security Management Terminology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Management Terminology

This may sound like a lame question, but there is a good reason for it! What is more commonly used in the industry today, "Daily Activity Report" or "Shift Report"? The purpose is for how we describe this feature while marketing our security guard management system.

Thanks
    Richard Dickinson
    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
    www.hrdickinson.com

DAR or Activity Log seem to me to be the more common term for the officer's report.

"Shift Report" in my experience is more often a term used to describe a form completed by the shift supervisor or team leader to summarize the important events, conditions, etc encountered during the team's shift. This report would be reviewed by the oncoming supervisor and submitted to the supervisor's manager.

In addition to summarizing the shift activity, the supervisor's shift report would list officers on duty, perhaps weather conditions, and other matters that would not be found in officer DARs. For instance, if the supervisor received a complaint about service, had an encounter with the client that needs to be sent up the chain, takes a disciplinary action, etc. (There might be other documents for some of these things as well that the supervisor completes, but a line item in the Shift Report anchors everything to the relevant shift.)

A manager would thus only have 3 reports (per day per site) to review in order to stay current on the site situation, rather than sifting through all of the individual officer's activity reports.

Of course, practices vary and others here might have a different experience.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-25-2017, 04:15 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Thanks, S.T., that was my opinion as well. Hope all is well with you.

Richard
      Richard Dickinson
      DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
      www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

"Daily Activity Report," or DAR is used by companies here for the security officer's shift log. The place I work at now provides the property manager with a "Daily Security Summary," which lists all the things the guards did over a day that the client wants & leaves out the routine stuff (lock-ups, fire panel checks it all was OK, etc.)

As an example, the summary contains a list of all vendor access to roof areas (long story, but something we need to track), S/O contacts with suspicious individuals or trespassers, and any medical aid calls where Security was involved. It also lists all merchant calls to security and what the outcome was.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Condo Guard!
          Richard Dickinson
          www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X