Shedule Problems at our site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shedule Problems at our site

During Christmas break, the college went to one officer coverage. Myself and my supervisor set up a schedule that was compatable for both of us. Our Operations Manager at the Branch office then decides to take my supervisor to another site and replace him with a supervisor from another site, so far so good, but this other so called supervisor refuses to work after midnight. I end up with a 60 plus hours for the week. Then the operations manager panics and gets this other person to work for me to avoid the OT, this results in me having one shift off in a week, and I still have some OT. My supervisor complains about this other supervisor not working nights and the Operations Mgr defends this do-nothing supervisor. Anyone have a solution?
    Murphy was an optomist.

Without knowing what pressures the Ops Mgr was facing, it's almost impossible to comment. Reading between the lines, it sounds like there was some sort of unplanned absence at another site. Like the Denver blizzard that grounded flights all over the country, problems at one site can reverberate throughout other sites as well.

And, even without such crises, holiday scheduling always presents challenging problems for which it seems there are often no "good" solutions - only solutions that are "bad" or "even worse". Not only are there changes in what clients need, but our own employees want (deserve, and need) some holiday time off as well.

In your case, if the situation is "unusual" - meaning, it's not the kind of thing that happens very often - all I can suggest is to weather the storm until things get back to normal after the holiday. No matter what kind of job you have or where you work, there will always be some crises and some "less-than-ideal" situations that we just have to put up with. Not the answer you're looking for, I know, but sometimes it's really not such a bad thing to have the ability to shrug things off without letting them "get to you" too much. Nurses, EMTs, fire people, police...and even people working in retail at this time of year...lots of folks are working weird hours, or under other "special" demands, suddenly being called to work in the middle of Christmas dinner, or what-have-you.

If this sort of thing is happening repeatedly, though, it's a sign of a poorly-managed company - and I doubt you or your supervisor can do very much in your positions about that.

In general, contract security is among the worst-managed industries in the country, second only to independent construction contractors, and for the same reason...they are being run by people who lack skills and knowledge in one or both of the domains required - which are business management, and the service they're providing. You need both.

Usually, it's the business skills they lack, so that the day-to-day operations of the company are barely profitable, if that, because their contracts are so lousy. Things are "barely okay" even when everything is going as planned, but then whenever the slightest breeze of adversity blows their way, they get thrown off their wobbly bicycle, more closely resembling a Chinese fire drill than a well-run company.

They say you can tell the size of a man by the size of the things it takes to get him down. Well, you can also tell how well run a company is by the size of the things it takes to throw the operation into panic and chaos. If the company you work for is constantly finding itself in this position, constantly in a "state of emergency", constantly "robbing Peter to pay Paul", it's difficult to see how or why things would be expected to improve and you might need to consider working for another company, if there's one in your area that's any better.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I think in scheuling you contract supervisors have it over us in-house people. With contract companies you have more bodies to use. With in-house we are more limited. Christmas Eve I had to work overnight, sleep in the hotel in the morning then work my regular 3pm to 11pm afternoon shift.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

True, but this require planning, as some clients have a set list of personnel they will authorize to work their site, and no other employee may work it without permission and/or training.

In that case... Same as in-house, you can't just throw a warm body into the post.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

That is the problem Nathen, we have been telling our branch office to get more people trained but have no success. Our site not only requires trained personel, but all people who work here must also clear an interview with the client. Our office knows this, but they continue to take people from our site to work at other sites, then they complain when we have overtime. At the homecoming game last fall, the client wanted extra coverage and because of the training and interview requirement, most of us had 18-20 hour shifts that weekend. What I am asking is how to get the support needed from the branch without offending them?
          Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Like Sec Trainer said, it's unlikely that you can change the situation, given your position within the company. However, since you aren't the supervisor, the OT shouldn't be a concern for you.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
              That is the problem Nathen, we have been telling our branch office to get more people trained but have no success. Our site not only requires trained personel, but all people who work here must also clear an interview with the client. Our office knows this, but they continue to take people from our site to work at other sites, then they complain when we have overtime. At the homecoming game last fall, the client wanted extra coverage and because of the training and interview requirement, most of us had 18-20 hour shifts that weekend. What I am asking is how to get the support needed from the branch without offending them?
              Jeff194307:
              If the client stands for it, go with the flow unless your life or limb is at stake. When the client has its fill, they will tell your company to abide by the conditions of the contract or they will be replaced.
              Unless your skin is on the line, let the client do the worrying!
              Nathan, if the client accepts the actions of the guard company without complaint, can an injured third party seek legal remedy for noncompliance with essential elements of a contract? I would suspect the client would be considered negligent. Would that bring it to the threshold of gross negligence?
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

I feel your pain

Originally posted by jeff194307
                During Christmas break, the college went to one officer coverage. Myself and my supervisor set up a schedule that was compatable for both of us. Our Operations Manager at the Branch office then decides to take my supervisor to another site and replace him with a supervisor from another site, so far so good, but this other so called supervisor refuses to work after midnight. I end up with a 60 plus hours for the week. Then the operations manager panics and gets this other person to work for me to avoid the OT, this results in me having one shift off in a week, and I still have some OT. My supervisor complains about this other supervisor not working nights and the Operations Mgr defends this do-nothing supervisor. Anyone have a solution?
                When I started here we had 2 roving patrol officers, 2 poolside officers, and one officer for the parking structure, which was five officers on first and second shift 3 officers on third, we close the pools at ten so didn't need the pool officers there, well then we dropped down to two officers on any given shift..which wasn't too bad as it slowed down a bit...we just had to get used to it. Well, now its one officer per shift and only 4 people total work this site...I am getting crazy OT...which is good for my pay but sux as my rest is off. The main office just had to classes....and we asked at least to people to fill in so the rest of us could get some decent off time...nada. Said they got these people on call until springbreak....they went through class and are not even gonna have a post till like the end of febuary...this really sucks and odds are these people may end up finding work elsewhere if they really need the money before they can be put on a post somewhere. And in the meantime we are suffering and exhausted....know how you feel dude...its a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by james2go30
                  When I started here we had 2 roving patrol officers, 2 poolside officers, and one officer for the parking structure, which was five officers on first and second shift 3 officers on third, we close the pools at ten so didn't need the pool officers there, well then we dropped down to two officers on any given shift..which wasn't too bad as it slowed down a bit...we just had to get used to it. Well, now its one officer per shift and only 4 people total work this site...I am getting crazy OT...which is good for my pay but sux as my rest is off. The main office just had to classes....and we asked at least to people to fill in so the rest of us could get some decent off time...nada. Said they got these people on call until springbreak....they went through class and are not even gonna have a post till like the end of febuary...this really sucks and odds are these people may end up finding work elsewhere if they really need the money before they can be put on a post somewhere. And in the meantime we are suffering and exhausted....know how you feel dude...its a pain.
                  That's my biggest problem. We too are normally a one man shift. For the 3 hotels I have 7 full timers & s handfull of part timers, Some of the part timers have regularly scheduled shifts, Some are "on call" The problem is with the 'on call" people. They are not going to sit at home to be called in once in a while at the last minute, They are usually on call for a few places or have other jobs, Sometimes all the on call people are not available,
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X